Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 18th Mar 08, 10:39 AM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    TV Licence article Discussion
    • 18th Mar 08, 10:39 AM
    TV Licence article Discussion 18th Mar 08 at 10:39 AM

This thread is specifically to discuss the the

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
    Last edited by MSE Researcher; 14-06-2010 at 3:08 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 2
  • joetonner
    I pay quarterly... sorry but it works for me...and if you watch tv get a licence it's that simple it doesn't matter what you watch just that you are watching it...if I have to have one then so does everyone else ...don't delay get one today...
    actually it really rattle's me when people say they haven't got one...there is just no need for it in this day and age....
    Originally posted by Ice
    in this day and age friend any person should not have to buy a tv from an outlet and then what will soon be an extra couple of hundred pounds to legally watch a channel.....Heres a thought when the UK is fully digital
    Option 1: Pay a lot of money for so many channels
    Option 2: Have the BBC scramble the signal for those who do not want to be forced to pay. Other channels do this already.

Everybodys is happy
  • joetonner
    The simple reason
    The logical extension of this is to pay for each programme, as there must be Sky programmes you are paying for but don't watch.

What on earth do you watch? The BBC has the broadest range of TV (and Radio) programmes of any broadcaster. I find it hard to believe that there is nothing that appeals to you.
    Originally posted by Stephenbw
    People want to be given their right to choose what to watch and pay for.
    Dont want to go into tech details of this and that , whose right and whose wrong. Just a persons right to choose thats all.
  • cogder
    The logical extension of this is to pay for each programme, as there must be Sky programmes you are paying for but don't watch.

What on earth do you watch? The BBC has the broadest range of TV (and Radio) programmes of any broadcaster. I find it hard to believe that there is nothing that appeals to you.
    * I don't listen to the radio, I listen to cds. And when I do listen to it, it's Hallam FM/DearneFM.
    * I don't go on the BBC websites, as I use other news sites, and therez nothing else for me on there.
    * Nothing on the BBC channels as I don't watch soaps, and I watch news on ITV... so morning, GMTV, maybe This Morning, Calendar.. then evening shows... all not BBC.

I've checked through the whole of tonight and therez nothing I'd watch, BBC1, BBC2 (oh, BBC3 has family guy, but I have them on dvd), BBC4 nothing. I even checked through the rest of the week, not a sausage.

Let me get this right...

TV License = £139.50 (so like £11.60 a month) 4 channels, radio and internet website), none of which I use
    SKY = £19 (100s of channels, includes SKY+), oh and broadband... skytalk
    CNN, sky news websites (all free)

Any other questions

I like lots of shows, none of them being on the BBC. Can't remember the last time I watched it, lol.

So, the 100s of other channels seem to run fine on their adverts, why can't the BBC?

I would be happier if they gave the money to hospitals, or something that deserves my money.
    Last edited by cogder; 20-03-2008 at 1:11 PM.
  • moonrakerz
    I am currently on my 4th e mails to the TVL asking them where the legislation about aerials can be found Each time they quote about mains connections and totally ignore the question about aerials
    Originally posted by JimArnold
    The trouble with TVL is that they are not only cowboys, but they are inept cowboys at that !
    The reason they don't answer the question is because there is nothing about aerials in the legislation.

It may be rather like the statement from them (which I can't find now, perhaps they have removed it !) to the effect that it is an offence to view or record live TV without a licence but that it is also an offence to possess a TV with the intent to watch without a licence.
    1. The legislation doesn't say that.
    2. How on earth do they intend to make "possession with intent to view "stand up in Court - it is laughable !

What really p***** me off is that a proportion of my licence fee is being spent on this bunch of no-hopers.
    • Stephenbw
    • By Stephenbw 20th Mar 08, 4:32 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Stephenbw
    People want to be given their right to choose what to watch and pay for.
    Dont want to go into tech details of this and that , whose right and whose wrong. Just a persons right to choose thats all.
    Originally posted by joetonner
    So if I don't watch the commercial channels can I choose to have a discount on my grocery shopping?
  • exprog
    So if I don't watch the commercial channels can I choose to have a discount on my grocery shopping?

You can have a 100% discount: just don't buy the products whose advertising has offended you. That would be called making a choice.
    • George_Bray
    • By George_Bray 21st Mar 08, 12:11 PM
    • 726 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    George_Bray
    I look forward to the day TV licencing collapses.
    Originally posted by lamp
    I agree. Even if you accept that the BBC should receive almost 200 per household for watching TV - even if you accept that - it is so incredibly inefficient. The number of households without a TV is so few, that efforts should continue to be focussed on them, on a sort of exception basis. You should have to apply to be exempted in order to be in that category - a non TV user.

EVERYONE ELSE (i.e. like 99% of us) should simply pay for the TV licence as part of our Council Tax. This would save 90% of the cost of running the TV licencing office, surely It would save millions. OK, it would throw hundreds of TV licensing employees out of work but so what?
    • weegie.geek
    • By weegie.geek 21st Mar 08, 12:22 PM
    • 3,148 Posts
    • 2,981 Thanks
    weegie.geek
    TV License = 139.50 (so like 11.60 a month) 4 channels, radio and internet website)
    Originally posted by cogder
    BBC1/2/3/4/News/Parliament/CBBC/CBeebies/BBCi is more than 4 channels. There's then the regional channels, BBC Scotland, Ireland, Wales etc.

There are 10+ radio stations, and a fantastic website imo.

There's a lot of stuff on the BBC that I like, but I for one don't listen to the radio at all, so I grudge paying for it. The shows I watch on TV more than make up for it though. I also don't use BBCi, or watch the two kids' channels or the Parliament channel.
    They say it's genetic, they say he can't help it, they say you can catch it - but sometimes you're born with it
  • moonrakerz
    IThe number of households without a TV is so few, that efforts should continue to be focussed on them, on a sort of exception basis. You should have to apply to be exempted in order to be in that category - a non TV user.
    Originally posted by George_Bray
    As I said in my first post, this is, in effect, what TV Licensing are doing now just to make their life easy. I, and many others, who have had TVL threatening us and harassing us for no valid reason whatsoever find this extremely distasteful.
    Even if you manage to persuade TVL that you don't need a licence they only give you a maximum of two years peace before they start the whole harassment procedure all over again.

Perhaps the only way to resolve this problem is to make all TV subscription only - then listen to all the moaning and carping !
  • dwarvenassassin
    erm everyone seems to have forgotten that not all of the license goes to the BBC. the commercial channels do get something from it too (admittedly not a lot)

Also, channels like discovery do a lot of their programming in conjunction with the BBC.
    UKTV group of channels are almost all BBC re-runs.

Remove all rthe programmes that have some form of BBC input and then tell me you don't watch anything the BBC do.
  • exprog
    Remarkable how generous people are with other people's money. The BBC appeals to those who lap-up the unending stream of leftwing propaganda rubbish it pukes out day and night. It only exists because people are, in effect, forced to pay for it. Those who like beeb drivel should not expect to have their propaganda paid for them by other people. Then see how much of it survives.
    • brig001
    • By brig001 22nd Mar 08, 8:21 AM
    • 325 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    brig001
    What about the infrastructure we all use to watch the programmes we choose to watch? It all came from somewhere. The BBC is also at least partly responsible for a lot of the technical developments that have advanced TV to where it is today. I am happy to pay, but object to the heavy handed tactics used against people who don't need a TV license - I used to be one of them.
  • zed sump
    The next time you turn on the TV THINK about what you are watching, imagine that 99% of your brain waves are doing nothing at that moment and then ask yourself how many of your thoughts are being programmed according to someone else's way of thinking?

Our thoughts and fears on global warming are all a result of what we see on the TV. We perceive that every street and byway of the UK is swarming with mindless thugs with knives because of a few stories on the news that get run into the ground.

We shop for our 'favorite' soap powder or biscuit because of what we see on TV. We smack or don't smack our children because of what TV said in Nanny 911 or some politically correct show on the BBC.

Watching TV today is really a bizarre Frankenstein experiment and I don't think many folks really think about what is being put into their brain as they sit and soak on all the garbage!

We complain about government 'spin', and that too comes largely through the TV and perpetuated and massaged by the media.

What would life in Britain be like if everyone turned off that stupid 'boob tube' and read a good book, went for a walk in the park, talked to their next door neighbor, played a game of monopoly with the family, or sat and helped their children with their school work?

Would our thinking about life and the world be different? Would it really matter that we had 100 channels or 1000 or if Gordon Brown was the worst Prime Minister in the history of this country?

Would the things that we perceive on the TV actually change because people were out changing them or just watching a fantasy of what they think exists on TV?
    Originally posted by teddyco
    my thoughts too. modern day brainwashing. probably the the most powerful tool the govenment(s) and commercial industries have to 'control' the masses.
    suprised that no-one else has commented on your post, even if it deviates slightly from the licensing side of TV subject matter of this topic...

suprised no-one else has commented on your
  • zed sump
    tv inspectors can't enter your home without a search warrant which they won't get (unless you're a pub etc)
    don't let them in
    2 friends don't have tvs in their houses and the inspectors have tried to enter many times.
  • moonrakerz
    tv inspectors can't enter your home without a search warrant which they won't get (unless you're a pub etc)
    Originally posted by zed sump
    I think you'll find that a pub landlord can refuse entry to anyone, without reason.
  • exprog
    What about the infrastructure we all use to watch the programmes we choose to watch? It all came from somewhere. The
    Originally posted by brig001
    Apparently in those nations not 'blessed' with the sub-Marxist bbc it must have come from outer space by magic. Otherwise obviously nothing could possibly have been acomplished. The entire world is clearly dependent upon state-funded political propaganda organisations. Ha ha ha ha.
    • Nile
    • By Nile 23rd Mar 08, 11:22 AM
    • 14,430 Posts
    • 14,400 Thanks
    Nile
    I dont understand why this thread is in DIY I mean you either pay or dont you cant build your own TV licence.

Anyway we are not alone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_license
    Originally posted by aknot
    Hello aknot

This board is called 'In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving'.

We have lots of threads about various subjects, they are not all about DIY or building.

Regards

Nile
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • John51
    A friend tried to get me to join a class at the citizens advice bureau where she was taking training. As it was just a numbers boosting excercise to improve their chances of funding I refused, a good enough excuse to avoid being bored for a few hours.

A few days later we got to talking about TV licences (I don't have a TV) and she was 'See I told you to come, we talked about this, you do need a TV licence if you have a computer...'.

After some probing it seems that the info they were giving out on this came from... yep, you guessed it, the tvl itself.
  • Gallovidian
    Then there are an awful lot of nations without any pride

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_license

I would be quite happy to pay a license fee for all the freeview channels directly to the broadcaster rather than via the ads that fund commercial TV.

As for those who claim that they never watch or listen to anything broadcast by the BBC, I have a hard time understanding why anyone would choose to not watch something because it is on the BBC.

I choose the programmes I watch, not the channel.
    Okay, you got me on that one.

But in the English speaking world we are now uniquely subservient,
    and not just in terms of the television license fee.:confused:
    • Maz
    • By Maz 24th Mar 08, 10:33 AM
    • 1,455 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    Maz
    my thoughts too. modern day brainwashing. probably the the most powerful tool the govenment(s) and commercial industries have to 'control' the masses.
    suprised that no-one else has commented on your post, even if it deviates slightly from the licensing side of TV subject matter of this topic...

suprised no-one else has commented on your
    Originally posted by zed sump
    I've just dismantled my TV with a view to selling it and this was one of my considerations for doing it! (Along with the fact that I very rarely watch it anyway). I also rarely read newspapers.

I agree, governments don't like independant thinkers.
    'The only thing that helps me keep my slender grip on reality is the friendship I have with my collection of singing potatoes'

Sleepy J.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,079Posts Today

7,541Users online

Martin's Twitter