Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trish-o
    • By trish-o 17th Feb 19, 4:33 PM
    • 624Posts
    • 9,325Thanks
    trish-o
    Advice re property in Stirlingshire?
    • 17th Feb 19, 4:33 PM
    Advice re property in Stirlingshire? 17th Feb 19 at 4:33 PM
    Hi

We currently live in the north-west of England and my husband is being transferred to work in the Grangemouth area. We are looking to move to a bungalow in a village setting with lots of lovely walks for our dogs, within around 15-20 miles of work.

Can anyone recommend any suitable areas, please?

Thanks, Trish
    Last edited by trish-o; 21-02-2019 at 7:57 AM.
Page 1
    • davidscot
    • By davidscot 21st Feb 19, 8:36 AM
    • 575 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    davidscot
    • 21st Feb 19, 8:36 AM
    • 21st Feb 19, 8:36 AM
    There are a few places you could consider. Linlithgow is popular as it is only a 10/15 minute drive for work but can be expensive. I think it would depend on how far you really want to travel for work
    Last edited by davidscot; 21-02-2019 at 8:42 AM.
    • trish-o
    • By trish-o 21st Feb 19, 8:43 AM
    • 624 Posts
    • 9,325 Thanks
    trish-o
    • 21st Feb 19, 8:43 AM
    • 21st Feb 19, 8:43 AM
    There are a few places you could consider. Linlithgow is popular but can be expensive. I think it would depend on how far you really want to travel for work
    Originally posted by davidscot
    Thanks davidscot, I think around 15 miles or so is the furthest he would like to travel.
    • davidscot
    • By davidscot 21st Feb 19, 9:34 AM
    • 575 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    davidscot
    • 21st Feb 19, 9:34 AM
    • 21st Feb 19, 9:34 AM
    Thanks davidscot, I think around 15 miles or so is the furthest he would like to travel.
    Originally posted by trish-o
    Then Fife would be out as even with travel over the bridge it would be around 20/30 miles. There are a few towns/villages dotted around that would be suitable if you do a search
    • trish-o
    • By trish-o 21st Feb 19, 10:07 AM
    • 624 Posts
    • 9,325 Thanks
    trish-o
    • 21st Feb 19, 10:07 AM
    • 21st Feb 19, 10:07 AM
    Then Fife would be out as even with travel over the bridge it would be around 20/30 miles. There are a few towns/villages dotted around that would be suitable if you do a search
    Originally posted by davidscot
    Thanks, I'll have a look.
    • Thrice
    • By Thrice 21st Feb 19, 10:08 AM
    • 153 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    Thrice
    • 21st Feb 19, 10:08 AM
    • 21st Feb 19, 10:08 AM
    Laurieston is nice, there is some lovely older homes along the streets. Across from Callendar Park as well, some lovely walks there. Not too far from the Kelpies as well, which leads on to the long walk to the Falkirk Wheel.
    SPC010 54.11
    2019 1% = 25. 0% so far
    • trish-o
    • By trish-o 21st Feb 19, 10:21 AM
    • 624 Posts
    • 9,325 Thanks
    trish-o
    • 21st Feb 19, 10:21 AM
    • 21st Feb 19, 10:21 AM
    Laurieston is nice, there is some lovely older homes along the streets. Across from Callendar Park as well, some lovely walks there. Not too far from the Kelpies as well, which leads on to the long walk to the Falkirk Wheel.
    Originally posted by Thrice
    Thanks Thrice, the Kelpies look amazing, they are close to where my hubby will be working. I'll have a look at Laurieston, thanks again.
    • slbhill
    • By slbhill 22nd Feb 19, 9:25 AM
    • 5,241 Posts
    • 365,437 Thanks
    slbhill
    • 22nd Feb 19, 9:25 AM
    • 22nd Feb 19, 9:25 AM
    It may help your search to know that "Stirlingshire" has had no real existence for decades, except for some reason in online address finders.

Grangemouth is on the edge of Falkirk (historically part of Stirlingshire but not since unitary authorities came in). Falkirk has a wide range of areas - rural and town. The Kelpies are indeed lovely but the housing areas closest to them are rather less so ;-) To be honest, all you need to do is go onto rightmove.co.uk and search houses over the whole of Falkirk. The expensive ones are the nicer places to live!

Most of the villages are ex-mining villages but a lot of the settlements around the edge of Falkirk (Braes area for instance - Polmont, Maddiston) might suit you. In the other direction Bo'ness might be worth a look, there are a lot of walks along the shore.
    • trish-o
    • By trish-o 22nd Feb 19, 9:32 AM
    • 624 Posts
    • 9,325 Thanks
    trish-o
    • 22nd Feb 19, 9:32 AM
    • 22nd Feb 19, 9:32 AM
    It may help your search to know that "Stirlingshire" has had no real existence for decades, except for some reason in online address finders.

Grangemouth is on the edge of Falkirk (historically part of Stirlingshire but not since unitary authorities came in). Falkirk has a wide range of areas - rural and town. The Kelpies are indeed lovely but the housing areas closest to them are rather less so ;-) To be honest, all you need to do is go onto rightmove.co.uk and search houses over the whole of Falkirk. The expensive ones are the nicer places to live!

Most of the villages are ex-mining villages but a lot of the settlements around the edge of Falkirk (Braes area for instance - Polmont, Maddiston) might suit you. In the other direction Bo'ness might be worth a look, there are a lot of walks along the shore.
    Originally posted by slbhill
    Thank you, that is very helpful. We plan to visit for a few days and hopefully get a feel for the areas we like and can afford. All advice is much appreciated, thank you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,949Posts Today

4,253Users online

Martin's Twitter