Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 29th Dec 18, 7:41 AM
    • 12,040Posts
    • 84,101Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again
    • 29th Dec 18, 7:41 AM
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again 29th Dec 18 at 7:41 AM
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies (And Gents - if are are reading along).

Are you ready to start the New Year with a sparkle in your eye and a spring in your footsteps or are you feeling a little jaded, a little worse for wear, a tad sad and neglected.

Do you feel invisible. Does the face that stares back at you from the mirror seem like a stranger to you.

Just who is that tired old lady looking back out at you.

In short, have you become a Frump!!!

Well fret ye not, salvation is at hand.

Join our merry gang and make this the year you transform yourself.

Ditch the Frump and become the Fabulous Woman you know you can be.

And have some fun along the way.

The Story So Far.......

I have been looking back and I was astonished to discover that the First Frump to Fab thread began in 2011. Wow.

Tempus Fugit and all that.

Am I fabulous yet. Almost.

How did it all begin.

Well one day my son took a photo of me in an unguarded moment. I took one look and burst into tears. Who was that old hag, that strange woman who looked like a bag lady. That couldn't be me. So I ran upstairs and took a good hard look in a full length mirror.

Yes, dear reader, it was me.

I stopped snivelling and faced the truth. I was a mess. I resolved then and there to do something about it. I didn't know what that something was because at the time I was caring for my terminally ill husband and staring bankruptcy in the face.

I was exhausted, I looked terrible and if I'm honest, I felt desperate. I didn't know what I was going to do, or where to begin so I started the first Frump to Fab thread as a diary to spur me on and keep me motivated.

And the rest is history.

My life is truly unrecognisable from that day. And I am not the same woman.

I look better, feel better, my finances are better. I AM better.

Not quite Goddess standard yet but getting there and working towards being fabulous and having a fabulous life.

So......if you want to "Change Your Stars" then join our merry gang.

Let's make 2019 the best one yet.

And......more Importantly, let's have some fun along the way.

One Golden Rule Please.

Be kind to one another.

Please do not be harsh or judgemental to others. None of us is perfect. It doesn't matter how we became Frumps what matters is how we are going to reclaim our looks, our energy, our joire de vie.

The past is the past and why we became Frumps is no longer relevant. It doesn't matter how we got here, what matters is how we move forward.

We are all here because we want to make things better. We want to look attractive, some of us might want to improve our health and fitness. All of us on here aspire to being the best we can be. So let's support each other.

For the Newbies, the Lurkers and as a refresher course for our regular members ......

I have posted the new thread earlier this year to give us some time to reflect and decide exactly what we want to achieve next year. Time to set goals, time for some strategic planning.

Over the next few days, in true MSE fashion, myself and our regulars will be talking about some simple easy and FREE steps you can make as you prepare to start as your journey to Fabdom.

So Welcome Everyone.

Let's get this show on the road.....

Let's Rock!!!!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 03-04-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Page 95
    • savingfortomorrow
    • By savingfortomorrow 8th Jul 19, 8:53 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 5,542 Thanks
    savingfortomorrow
    welcome Melody - fbbing is a long path but it begins with the first step

I have been having a bad time with my hair, flat lifeless and falling out. the doctor said all blood tests were normal so no thyroid issues, I used the new johnsons and johnsons shampoo and it seems to be very unflattering to my hair. I will use it for something else.

I feel that im loosing weight. I need to buy a scales that works but have less bloating. It might be down to avoiding sugar and increasing the fibre or the probiotic drinks. I find that the skirts are closing more easier. I didnt put on a few kg over night so it will take time.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 8th Jul 19, 11:17 PM
    • 12,040 Posts
    • 84,101 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Absolutely......

Melody, SFT & Silvasava are spot on. Fabbing does take time. And to extend Silvasavas expensive sports car analogy.........(love it - I fancy myself as a sporty little Mercedes coupe,....racy and luxurious. ). I do think it's best to take the scenic route and enjoy the ride. It's not about the destination, it's about the journey.

Be gentle with yourself, and be patient, but be consistent. As SFT says just start with the first steps and build it up from there. Easy does it.

Many of our ladies have said that they start to feel happier and more confident within a matter of days, even if they have a fair but of weight to lose. I think that once you start the process the results start to show very quickly. You might not see much of a difference at first but I bet your family and friends will soon notice the change in you.

I do think the simple act of a little TLC and daily self care, even if you can only spare a few minutes, will soon reap rewards. Even if you are overweight you can still "dress up and show up", each and every day. You don't have to wait until you reach your goal weight to start looking and feeling better,

Re the "dressing up". Maybe I should have explained it in a bit more detail. Maybe I didn't phrase it properly. I don't mean that you should dress yourself up like a dogs dinner every day. (Unless of course you want to). I mean that I do think it is better for our self esteem if we make an effort with our appearance rather than just slobbing around in any old thing that we grab off the floor. (Yes we've all done it )

When I first began my journey I was as guilty as hell of slopping around in baggy old shapeless faded clothes that really had seen better days. Half the time I lived in joggers and sweat shirts.......not a good look. . Seriously I looked like a bag lady. No pride, no self respect. My hair was a shapeless mess, my skin was in bad shape and I looked at least a decade older than I really was.

But when I finally took myself in hand I very quickly began to see a real improvement. I didnt have a lot of time because I was caring for my husband and I certainly had no spare money because we were seriously in debt at the time. But it doesn't take money, it just takes a bit of time, commitment and effort.

Alas there is no such thing as effortless chic. the French just make it look effortless but in fact those impossibly glamourous chic French women work very hard to look that good.

Give yourself time. Give it six months and I guarantee you will be both astonished and delighted at how your life will change. (And in many more ways than you might think......but I will let you find that out as you go along).

You have already made a great start, no just with your weight loss but also I think that you've already begun to get your head round it and that's where it all starts. Get in the right frame of mind and then the rest seems to follow easily.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 08-07-2019 at 11:27 PM.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 9th Jul 19, 12:03 AM
    • 12,040 Posts
    • 84,101 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Maman. Thanks for the author recommendations. I'll look out for them. I like historical novels. I remember working my way through Jean Plaidy when I was a teenager. Loved them.

Wednesday. Sounds like you got some bargains, my DIL said she'd been in town and noticed there were sales on everywhere with some really good reductions.

Interesting about the rings. I don't know if it's true but I seem to recall reading somewhere that our knuckles got bigger with age and that's why rings sometimes no longer fit, even though we might have lost weight. I have several rings that are a bit tight. I reckon I need to lose a final stone. If they still don't fit I will see if I can get them resized.

Had a lovely birthday lunch with DS2 and his girlfriend today.

Tomorrow it's my grandsons birthday.....not quite sure what the plan is but we are meeting up around midday. I guess it will depend on the weather. The Venezuelans find it quite cold at times. DIL has acclimatised and is now happy with our weather but her mum and dad struggle a bit. Bless them they haven't really developed the knack of layers for British weather, and they seem to have an aversion to knitwear. I've never seen either of them in a sweater.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 9th Jul 19, 8:22 AM
    • 12,040 Posts
    • 84,101 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning lovely ladies......

A bit cool and cloudy. I am going out for the day, no,idea where I'm going or what we are doing so it makes it rather difficult to decide what to wear.....

I think I will go for the traditional English standby of layers, then a raincoat and umbrella in the car - just in case.

I've regained a lb, but given the level of feasting and partying so far this week it's hardly surprising. It's easier to gain weight than it is to lose it, that's for sure.

Anyway I'm enjoying my week off ......treating this week as a staycation. No diy, no heavy gardening, no extreme housework, very little cooking. Enjoying a well earned rest. .

Anyway better get cracking.

Have a great day.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 9th Jul 19, 9:01 AM
    • 3,427 Posts
    • 24,307 Thanks
    Wednesday2000

Alas there is no such thing as effortless chic. the French just make it look effortless but in fact those impossibly glamourous chic French women work very hard to look that good.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    I follow Jennifer L Scott on YouTube. She is the author of the book Madame Chic as she got inspiration after she went on holiday to France.

She does videos and articles on the 10 Item Wardrobe.

I find her quite interesting. I will put the link here if anyone wants to look at her blog.

https://dailyconnoisseur.blogspot.com/
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 10th Jul 19, 7:12 AM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 21,327 Thanks
    FrankieM
    I've saved that link wednesday and will take a look tonight.

Hope you had a good day LL I love a surprise

Off to work today, have a meeting with suppliers this afternoon, so wearing a dress.

I find it very easy to slip into wearing the same 5 outfits each week. I'd probably do better with a uniform!

So, I need to shake that off and start thinking a little bit more

I've got a meetup thing tonight, in a pub, so jeans and a nice jumper/top and ankle boots will be the outfit I think and a make up refresh.

It's not til 8.30pm and I'm thinking about going to bed at that time usually, so I'm hoping it's not a late one.

I'm already thinking of excuses not to go....terrible!
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 10th Jul 19, 8:24 AM
    • 12,040 Posts
    • 84,101 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frankie......no backing out now!!! in the words of the Nike Ad. Just Do It.

Seriously I too found the first couple of meet ups a bit nerve racking but honestly everyone was so friendly and welcoming that I soon relaxed and enjoyed myself. As for lateness I'm sure most people will understand if you don't stay to the bitter end, after all it is mid week and a "school night".

Well yesterday's surprise was brilliant. Unsure of the weather, instead of going to an outdoor activity DS1 & DIL decided upon an indoor crazy golf and a pizzeria. Great idea because it did chuck it down at one point. We had a lot of fun. The actual party for my grandsons birthday will be on Sunday when more friends and family will be able to attend.

Well my new regime of saying "Yes" is already starting to take effect. My social events calendar is looking nice and full..... tonight I'm off out for dinner with my longest serving girlfriend, we have known each other a staggering 53 years. Longer than many marriages. It's a proper restaurant in a golf and country club so although jeans would be perfectly acceptable I am going to wear a dress.

Actually I've decided that from now on I am going to wear jeans less often. I do like them and they are a useful standby when you are not sure of what to wear: they have become pretty universal but Tbh I'm just a little bit bored with them. Since losing weight I have found I am happy wearing skirts and dresses a lot more. It makes a nice change.

I have also bought several pairs of trousers, mainly linen in various weights for the summer and I have been wearing those instead of jeans.

BTW, going back to the Yes thing, I knew there was a film called "Yes Man" with Jim Carey but haven't seen it and didn't know what it was about. Apparently it's about a guy stuck in a rut who attends some kind of motivational seminar where he learns he needs to start saying "Yes". It's very loosely based on a true story (Carey realised it was the perfect comedy vehicle for him and bought the rights to the book) Obviously the film is ramped up for comedic effect and Carey's manic style.

Anyway I have ordered the book, written by a journalist who says he did it for a year and it changed his life. I'll let you know if it changes mine.....

I know I'm naughty and I should be using the library more but I do like to own and possess books. I have ordered several from Amazon, mainly non fiction and biographies. One of the books I'm currenrly reading is about retiring abroad.......

As you may remember this was our original plan but I chickened out after my husband died. Too scared to do it alone I sold our apartment in Spain. But........I have recently begun to think that I might consider part time living somewhere warm in the winters. I would never buy another property abroad - not on my own - but I would consider say a three to six month rental in the right location.

DIL has a relative in Costa Rica (Now a favoured retirement destination for American ex pats). Apparently there is an open invitation for me to visit ........ Perhaps I should say "YES" and check it out. Only problem is I hate flying........that is one bullet I really do need to bite.

Wednesday .....thanks for the link. I have actually read several of her "Madame Chic" books, didn't realise she also had a blog. I shall add it to the ones I dip into now and again.

Two of my favourite blogs are "Stylecrone" - an American widow who cared for her husband and who used fashion and style to help her combat grief. (I can relate) and "Vintagevixen" an English woman who, as the title suggests, loves vintage clothing and who has turned her passion into a business.

Right time to get cracking.....

In the spirit of my "staycation" today I'm just going to nip out for a few groceries. I'll have a mooch round my favourite chazzer and maybe pop into a garden centre. Then this afternoon a bit of a home spa before going out this evening.

Have a great day......
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 10th Jul 19, 10:13 AM
    • 1,816 Posts
    • 12,614 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

I am finally feeling a lot better even though I am not pain free, I am feeling well enough to resume my social life

Not being able to exercise has meant that I had started to regain weight. I was amazed at how fast I gained 5 pounds in only 4 weeks. I have taken myself in hand and now I have gone back to really healthy eating once again and I have lost 2 pounds of the 5 pounds I had gained.

I did attempt to do a 5 minute set of exercises but within 2 minutes I was in too much pain, so I had to stop. I will eventually get back to the point of being able to do my usual exercise DVD but for now I am not physically able

I now own so many items of clothing, pairs of shoes and sandals, handbags and jewellery that I have decided on a self imposed buying embargo. I am not going to do any buying from eBay or elsewhere for the whole month of July and see how much money I get to save instead. At the end of June I bought myself 2 Coast dresses from eBay in preparation for the Christmas and New Year dinner dances that I will be going to. I got a beautiful high low raspberry ball gown and a gold and cream midi length cocktail dress. I knew a Coast size 14 would be smaller than the other brands I normally buy, so I do need to lose more weight before the zips can go all the way up on me, but even now, you can see how stunning both dresses are going to be on me in December.

I am going on holiday with my sister H in 2020 and as she wants to go to a part of the World she has never visited before and she has been to so many Countries and Continents. I have to make sure I have at least 4,000 saved by April 2020. I currently have 2,000 saved, so I am half way to my target already.

My younger daughter who lives with me keeps on commenting on how well dressed I now am even when I am just popping up to Camberwell to get a bit of top up shopping or run an errand or two. I pointed out to her, that I now have a huge wardrobe of clothing that fits me and I intend to wear everything in my wardrobe as that is why I bought each item. I still have plenty of size 16 skirts, size 14 dresses and 14 tops that are still too tight on me, so even when I lose another stone or more, I will have plenty of clothes to wear without having to buy any more.

I will sell clothing on eBay when they are too loose on me and raise more funds for my savings account. Selling on eBay is a time consuming way to raise funds, but it gives me a large market place, so that even if I have to relist items they do get sold eventually.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 10th Jul 19, 10:59 AM
    • 3,427 Posts
    • 24,307 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I tried on the New Look dresses and I like them all apart from the navy blue one!

It gapes out at the sides so you can see side boob!

I will keep it as I can wear it in winter with a jumper layered on top.

I will wear one of the black dresses on Friday instead or a black skirt with a top.

I've saved that link wednesday and will take a look tonight.
    Originally posted by FrankieM
    I find her quite interesting and I like to look at her 10 item wardrobes as she updates them in each season.

Wednesday .....thanks for the link. I have actually read several of her "Madame Chic" books, didn't realise she also had a blog. I shall add it to the ones I dip into now and again.
    I haven't actually read her books yet.

At the end of June I bought myself 2 Coast dresses from eBay in preparation for the Christmas and New Year dinner dances that I will be going to. I got a beautiful high low raspberry ball gown and a gold and cream midi length cocktail dress. I knew a Coast size 14 would be smaller than the other brands I normally buy, so I do need to lose more weight before the zips can go all the way up on me, but even now, you can see how stunning both dresses are going to be on me in December.
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125
    They sound gorgeous.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 11th Jul 19, 9:58 AM
    • 1,816 Posts
    • 12,614 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

I went to Karaoke last night and I had a very enjoyable evening. There were only 4 singers so we all had to sing 6 songs each.

I sang:

1. Return to Sender by Elvis

2. Dream Lover by Bobby Darin

3. Fever by Peggy Lee

4. Hurt So Good by Susan Cadogan

5. Make Me Feel Your Love by Adele

6. Lean On Me by Bill Withers

I also got a chance to do quite a bit of dancing both on my feet and sitting down, so I also got some much needed exercise, while having fun
    • savingfortomorrow
    • By savingfortomorrow 11th Jul 19, 6:32 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 5,542 Thanks
    savingfortomorrow
    I wonder how practical the 10 items are to wear in and out. I would be wondering if the modern quality of clothes could withstand that amount of laundry and wearing. I think the seems would fray, bobbling of material and just worn out.

I have lived on a small wardrobe for weeks on end on secondment with work and its so difficult to manage on a small number of clothes because the weather changes so much. In addition getting it dried and cleaned with such a fast turnaround would lead me to think that small loads of washing would be very energy intensive.

The heavy wear of an item will cause you to get sick of it anf items will have a shorter time of use. I think you need at least 50 items to really function and be practical as anything else will cause real difficulty.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 11th Jul 19, 9:44 PM
    • 12,040 Posts
    • 84,101 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good evening lovely ladies.....

Sugarbaby....sorry to hear you are still in pain, hopefully it will ease off soon. Good that you can still dance though. Your new dresses sound gorgeous. And wow, your holiday plans sound amazing.

Frankie....Did you go to the meet up.....if so, how was it.

Well I went to the curry night tonight, it was lovey. Had a great evening. Whilst there I was invited out tomorrow night.....in the spirit of my new openness to opportunity I said "YES". that means I will have been out for 8 consequetive days or evenings in a row. Unheard of for me......very tiring but worth it. Great fun.

I am thoroughly enjoying my "staycation".

SFT. I'm with you on the not wanting to restrict to 10 items. Even project 33 would be a nonstarter for me. I too love having lots of choice. I do have a lot of clothes but I look after them. They last me for years. I will happily keep my favourites until they practically drop to bits. I only culled the last lot because they were far too big and would have been difficult to alter.

Bought a load of plants today so a gardening day tomorrow.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 11-07-2019 at 11:03 PM.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Jul 19, 10:04 AM
    • 3,427 Posts
    • 24,307 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm off out tonight to Hammersmith in London. I'm going to wear my New Look black strappy mini dress, black cardigan, black leggings and black and gold sandals with my new Melie Bianco black tote bag.

I just got tickets to see Liam Gallagher at the O2 in November. Well, my husband got them for me actually.

I wonder how practical the 10 items are to wear in and out. I would be wondering if the modern quality of clothes could withstand that amount of laundry and wearing. I think the seems would fray, bobbling of material and just worn out.

I have lived on a small wardrobe for weeks on end on secondment with work and its so difficult to manage on a small number of clothes because the weather changes so much. In addition getting it dried and cleaned with such a fast turnaround would lead me to think that small loads of washing would be very energy intensive.

The heavy wear of an item will cause you to get sick of it anf items will have a shorter time of use. I think you need at least 50 items to really function and be practical as anything else will cause real difficulty.
    Originally posted by savingfortomorrow
    It seems like she buys quite high quality clothing mainly and changes the 10 item wardrobe with each season. She adds completer pieces (I think she calls them) so it isn't strictly 10 items, that is just the basis.
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Jul 19, 4:08 PM
    • 20,667 Posts
    • 122,819 Thanks
    maman
    It seems like she buys quite high quality clothing mainly and changes the 10 item wardrobe with each season. She adds completer pieces (I think she calls them) so it isn't strictly 10 items, that is just the basis.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    Have a good evening Wednesday.

I guessed that the 10 items must be of reasonable quality. I've yet to look at the link but I will. I wonder if we were to list what we actually wear from our wardrobes over, say, a month how many 'main' items we actually wear.

Although I agree sft that the weather is a big influencer in this country. Having been in predictable hot weather for a few weeks I realise just how easy it is to put an outfit together. Because of luggage allowance I'd limited the number of pairs of shoes I took so most outfits were just a dress, shoes and underwear!

Glad to hear you're well enough to get back to karaoke sugarbaby. That's a great list of songs. I heard Adele singing that live at the O2. Brilliant!

https://www.bing.com/search?q=adele+make+me+feel+my+love&form=EDNTHB&mk t=en-gb&httpsmsn=1&plvar=0&refig=54d428d4d82e49f2e38c9a fca345e9ea&PC=DCTS&sp=1&qs=AS&pq=adele+make+me+f&s c=8-15&cvid=54d428d4d82e49f2e38c9afca345e9ea&cc=GB&set lang=en-US

I did treat myself to a new dress this week.

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-linen-scoop-back-handkerchief-hem-dress/black/p4025872

Not cheap, cheap but I liked it a month ago and decided to get it. It's not going to date and will be ideal for holidays and at home.

I've decided that my new favourite treatment is tinted eyebrows! I had my eyebrows waxed on Tuesday and this time I had the tint a bit darker. It's a good contrast with my very blonde hair at the moment. I called into my hairdresser and had my fringe trimmed too so that should be OK for a few weeks. Manicure and pedicure planned for next week.

I'm still trying to lose the few pounds I gained on holiday. I'm more or less back to eating normally at home but I seem to have lots of invitations to eat out. It's great fun but not great for my waistline! I empathise LL!
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 13th Jul 19, 10:36 AM
    • 12,040 Posts
    • 84,101 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning lovely ladies

Well after a fabulous week of gadding about, I am now looking forward to a few quiet days, although I'm hosting a casual supper party tonight and then it's my grandsons 1st birthday party tomorrow.

I do have a mountain of stuff to catch up on, but am looking forward to getting back into the gardening and diy. Bought a load of plants so will make a start today. It's not too hot, currently a bit overcast so perfect planting weather. I'll get cracking after a cup of coffee. I have already been for a short walk and am aiming to try some yoga later.

Have booked a massage for Tuesday, dentist next Friday and need to book things like eye test, chiropodist etc for the next couple of weeks.

Time for a bit of a mini personal MOT.

I am pleased to say I have already lost 1lb of my 2lb "holiday" weight gain and am now back firmly in the WW groove.

Checked my BMI and it's now back down to a more healthy 25 and I am no longer classed as overweight, but am now at the top end of the "healthy" range for my height. I am aiming to lose between another half to 1 stone, then I'll see how I look and feel. Final goal date is Christmas. Should be achievable.

Maman.....going back to our discussion of mutton dressed as lamb. Getting out and about more in the evenings, especially in and around the city centre, I have really had an opportunity to people watch. And OMG some of the sights.......

Last night though took the biscuit.......there was a woman of shall we say a "certain age" and she looked terrible. Obviously trying to look young but talk about inappropriate dressing.

I don't know if it was fake tan or sunbed but she was the colour of Madge from Benidorm, her skin was like leather. Her hair was long, bleached peroxide and looked like straw, (badly) tattooed eyebrows, nails like talons, far too much make up, but it was the dress that really put the nail in the coffin. She was poured Into a black lace number, far too small and tight, plunging neckline, boobs hanging out, backless, sleeveless and indecently short (horrible legs of course) with unkempt feet like pigs trotters squeezed into cheap plastic strappy high heeled slingback sandals she could only totter about on.

I know I know, I'm being unkind but honestly she looked like a cheap low rent drag queen, the sort you might find in a seedy nightclub of ill repute.

What possesses them.......definitely not a look to be emulated.

I did meet some more normally dressed women though......and some of the guys were nicely turned out.

Anyway hope you all have a lovely weekend......

Keeep fabbing.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 13-07-2019 at 10:40 AM.
    • maman
    • By maman 13th Jul 19, 11:41 AM
    • 20,667 Posts
    • 122,819 Thanks
    maman
    I know I know, I'm being unkind but honestly she looked like a cheap low rent drag queen, the sort you might find in a seedy nightclub of ill repute.
    Love it!!

I know we've all decided on a look that suits us individually which may or may not be to everyone's taste but how can someone dress like that and be pleased.

I did look at the website Wednesday. I found a clip with 5 items to start with. personally I found some of the outfits a bit mumsy and very safe for such a young woman. Her swimming outfit was very conservative (long sleeved top and skirt) and I began to wonder if she was Mormon or had other religious reasons for covering up.

I'm going dancing again tonight. I plan to wear my green, sleeveless dress with the broderie anglaise hem. That's been a good buy. It was 25 in a sale and I've worn it loads of times including to a summer wedding.

Before that I'm going to take a few more steps up the ironing mountain!! I've had a few false starts this week as both times I tried to tackle it I was saved by visitors!

Warm, dry but a bit overcast here. Hope you all have a good Saturday.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Jul 19, 12:15 PM
    • 3,427 Posts
    • 24,307 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I had such a good time at the comedy thing last night.

I got another compliment about looking younger than my age. The guy I was with was saying that he works with a woman who is 5 years older than me and he was saying that she looks about 15 years older than I do. He said how well I have aged.

I did look at the website Wednesday. I found a clip with 5 items to start with. personally I found some of the outfits a bit mumsy and very safe for such a young woman. Her swimming outfit was very conservative (long sleeved top and skirt) and I began to wonder if she was Mormon or had other religious reasons for covering up.
    Originally posted by maman
    Young woman? I would say she is older than me.

I don't like all her outfits, especially not the flowery or patterned stuff. I like the idea behind it of having a capsule wardrobe.

I do tend to wear the same outfits for some reason. I wonder if it because I wore a school uniform for so long. I would like to have all outfits that I really like and I haven't at the moment as my weight keeps changing and I keep having to get rid of favourites that are too big.
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 14th Jul 19, 5:28 AM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 21,327 Thanks
    FrankieM
    Morning

Sorry I've been missing, I've had a couple of evenings with my children and I've spent this week feeling really tired.

and a bit low, I wouldn't say I get depressed but I definitely feel quite low at times and that's been me this week.

I'm currently in a rented house but I'm ready (psychologically at least) to move and buy something but my ex is unable (can't afford!) to buy me out.

I'm quite cross about it all. I had 20 odd years of living in a terrible financial situation when I was with him, due to his terrible money handling (he earns an absolute fortune!) and I am now still 'controlled' by his money issues!

Anyway, that's my whinge, nothing I can do to change it, but it's just not helped my already low mood...

In answer to your question LL I didn't go on Thursday...it's a paid membership group and I've figured I can probably find enough to do going to the free groups.

I have the 'Yes,man' book I've not read it yet, but you've reminded me so I'll probably get it off my shelf and make a start.

My food has been terrible this week. I kidded myself into thinking I'd like to cook my meals after work and by Wednesday I'd had enough and my plan had gone out of the window, so, note to self...however I might feel on Saturday and Sunday, I don't want to cook Monday - Friday.

still fabbing though, and wore a couple of dresses to work this week, which was nice, I love dresses
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 14th Jul 19, 6:14 AM
    • 12,040 Posts
    • 84,101 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning lovely ladies.

Sorry to hear you feel so low Frankie, but given your current circumstances it's not really surprising. Your financial situation and your ex partners inability to buy you out must be extremely frustrating for you. Hopefully a resolution will be found........

I can well understand you not wanting to cook every evening after a long day at work. Cooking for one can also be a bit soul destroying too. Even though I'm retired and do actually really enjoy cooking there are still some days when I don't feel much inclined to rattle those pots and pans.

Whilst some batch cooking and pre-prepping might be helpful I honestly think there's nothing wrong with a few good quality ready meals for those mid week "running out of steam" nights. I noticed there is cooking for one thread on the old style board where they post ideas.

I had a feeling you might give meet up a miss. Don't worry. There's no point forcing yourself if you really are not ready. I got cold feet several times before I finally bit the bullet. I often think these things are all about timing......we have to get our heads in the right place first. And I agree about trying the free ones first. You'll know when the time is right..

I have been to 5 now and I'm learning which type of events I enjoy the most. I already had an idea which ones I wasn't interested in so I knew which ones not to bother with. I have actually joined 3 groups now, all free membership, so that should offer enough opportunities for the time being.

I would imagine the amount of suitable available activities that appeal to me will vary, maybe more some weeks than others but that's ok. I don't need to be out painting the town every night - especially in the depths of winter. I probably will be just as happy with daytime activities come winter and enjoy my hygge evenings at home.

One of my friends couldnt make supper last night so we postponed it. I was secretly quite pleased and relieved because I too was very tired - still am if I'm honest. I have got a family party today for my grandsons birthday but nothing definite planned as yet for next week. I am looking forward to a few quiet evenings at home.

Made a start on the planting and weeding yesterday. Hard work, I'm really stiff and sore today, so going to give myself a day off. I planted the urgent ones, the rest are in pots so will be ok for a couple of days. Going to have a nice long soak in the bath, try and loosen up.

Have a great day, y'all.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 14-07-2019 at 6:19 AM.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 14th Jul 19, 7:28 AM
    • 4,280 Posts
    • 67,937 Thanks
    silvasava
    No major fabbing going on here at the moment, just maintenance! My nails are slowly improving and at least look neat
    Needed to go to our local market on Friday to get my phone sorted (passed on to me from DS1) and took a look in a couple of CS while it was being done. Found a gorgeous red fascinator just right for Ladies Day at the races next month.....just need the dress to go with it now lol. After spending years in corporate dressing jeans have been my go to since I retired but I'm beginning to go back to dresses. I havn't got many but I have found a couple of nice ones in the CS. I really should get back to sewing as a plain shift suits me best and I could easily make them....just need the motivation. Maybe when the kitchen is finished........
    Hope everyone has a good day with whatever they have planned or unplanned
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

233Posts Today

2,835Users online

Martin's Twitter