Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Glad
    • By Glad 18th Apr 18, 7:10 AM
    • 17,963Posts
    • 39,916Thanks
    Glad
    Money Savers Arms CXXVII - serving beer, wine, soft drinks, tea, coffee - all welcome
    • 18th Apr 18, 7:10 AM
    Money Savers Arms CXXVII - serving beer, wine, soft drinks, tea, coffee - all welcome 18th Apr 18 at 7:10 AM

Good morning all!

and welcome to a brand new Arms

a place to chill and chat

for everyone

I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
Page 45
    • savvy
    • By savvy 1st Sep 19, 2:29 PM
    • 30,202 Posts
    • 47,067 Thanks
    savvy
    Okay it's September now.........you can all come out of hiding and post again!
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 1st Sep 19, 2:30 PM
    • 5,195 Posts
    • 51,324 Thanks
    Barny1979
    Originally posted by savvy
    Soon be Christmas
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs 2019 - 209 AFDs up to end of September
    MFW Challenge 2019 - 875/1809
    • savvy
    • By savvy 1st Sep 19, 3:04 PM
    • 30,202 Posts
    • 47,067 Thanks
    savvy
    Soon be Christmas
    Originally posted by Barny1979
    It totally will, in a blink of an eye.....already on it too
    • duncanthedog
    • By duncanthedog 2nd Sep 19, 6:38 AM
    • 703 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    duncanthedog
    So little to say and no-one else is ever around at the same time to talk to
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 2nd Sep 19, 9:35 AM
    • 40,617 Posts
    • 90,184 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    It's just like real life, this talking to myself.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • duncanthedog
    • By duncanthedog 3rd Sep 19, 6:25 AM
    • 703 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    duncanthedog
    It's just like real life, this talking to myself.
    Originally posted by Fruitcake
    At least I have Dad to talk to
    • savvy
    • By savvy 1st Oct 19, 2:44 PM
    • 30,202 Posts
    • 47,067 Thanks
    savvy
    Arrrggggg work has been so busy, then I was cut off the net for a week - so much for saving money and changing supplier, caused me even more hassle! Then I've just been away in Wales, come back and a friend's doggy died and another friends mum died. I'm planning a surprise 70th party for a friend.......and yep, then the funeral has been set smack bang in the middle of the happy event! It just never goes smoothly here

Anyway good to see the regulars still in here, even if you ARE rocking in the corner muttering to yourselves
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 1st Oct 19, 5:41 PM
    • 40,617 Posts
    • 90,184 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Hello world, I'm still here.

Lots going on at Fruitcake Folly centred mostly around looking after the old folks, says him who just received his first old person's pension payment. I am happy to say I have managed to live long enough that I am now a burden on the state.

After much chasing and being told worrying things about my Mum's Will not being valid, I finally got an email yesterdegg saying probate eventually been approved after a delay of 18 weeks due to a clerical error. Now I just need to wait for the hard copy to arrive before I can wind up her estate.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems savvy, your luck sounds a bit like ours at the mo.

Never mind, I'm off on an adventure by train to the big city for a night out with the SAGA Louts soonly.
    I don't have a sister.

• Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 1st Oct 19, 6:16 PM
    • 18,459 Posts
    • 39,592 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Hello Both recent posters

Glad you have got things sorted Fruity.

My mum had to go into care a week tomorrow, not nice. I've been able to visit her every day so far and just try to reassure her that she hasn't been abandoned, but there weren't other realistic options available. She's 92.

I hope you draw your state pension for many years!
    Weekly Distance Walked 30km / Total For Year 1162 km
    • typistretired
    • By typistretired 1st Oct 19, 11:00 PM
    • 1,415 Posts
    • 1,005 Thanks
    typistretired
    Hope she settles okay she will complain about the food (despite never eating much at home) the carers because they make her shower (prefers a sponge down) etc etc
    "Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves"
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 1st Oct 19, 11:48 PM
    • 40,617 Posts
    • 90,184 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Hello Both recent posters

Glad you have got things sorted Fruity.

My mum had to go into care a week tomorrow, not nice. I've been able to visit her every day so far and just try to reassure her that she hasn't been abandoned, but there weren't other realistic options available. She's 92.

I hope you draw your state pension for many years!
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    Been there, done that chap.

We moved my parents in with us to start with, then into a lovely retirement village with onsite carers, restaurant, activities, and all sorts of other things to keep them safe and occupied. This was only 10 km from us so we could visit regularly.

As the years rolled by we had to move first dad then mum into a nursing home within the complex where they received the very best care we/they could afford. They are both gone now but we know we did our best to keep them safe and know they were loved.

My parents looked after me for many, many years, and eventually it became my turn to repay their love and look after them. It's hard but it is what we do.

Sleazy, I have never met you in RL but I have come to know you well enough in the virtual world to know that you will do your very best for your mum. I wish you the very best in your efforts to accomplish this.
    I don't have a sister.

• Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 1st Oct 19, 11:53 PM
    • 40,617 Posts
    • 90,184 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Hope she settles okay she will complain about the food (despite never eating much at home) the carers because they make her shower (prefers a sponge down) etc etc
    Originally posted by typistretired
    That can only have been written by someone who has already lived through this sort of thing.
    Last edited by Fruitcake; 02-10-2019 at 7:31 AM.
    I don't have a sister.

• Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 2nd Oct 19, 9:34 AM
    • 18,459 Posts
    • 39,592 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Originally posted by typistretired
    Sums up my mum's comments fairly well ....
    • savvy
    • By savvy 2nd Oct 19, 2:44 PM
    • 30,202 Posts
    • 47,067 Thanks
    savvy
    I'm sorry to hear about your problems savvy, your luck sounds a bit like ours at the mo.

Never mind, I'm off on an adventure by train to the big city for a night out with the SAGA Louts soonly.
    Originally posted by Fruitcake
    Hello Fruity, lol that's my luck all the time.....except on a Friday the 13th, then I get a reprieve and a day off of it! OMG pensioner now?? Haha love the sound of the SAGA louts

Awwww Sleazy sorry to hear that, but my goodness she has done well if only going in at 92
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 3rd Oct 19, 12:38 PM
    • 40,617 Posts
    • 90,184 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Hello Fruity, lol that's my luck all the time.....except on a Friday the 13th, then I get a reprieve and a day off of it! OMG pensioner now?? Haha love the sound of the SAGA louts

Awwww Sleazy sorry to hear that, but my goodness she has done well if only going in at 92
    Some of my former colleagues set up a weekly session in and around Brizzle on a Tuesdegg night. The venue changes every week to ensure everyone gets a chance to go wherever they live, and we get sent a weekly text with the location.
    As long as it is within a twenty to thirty minute walk of Brizzle station I go if I can. I got my bus pass today so I can now expand on that radius as well, especially if it is up a gert hill.

My Lovely Cousin bought this for me when I retired.

I don't have a sister.

• duncanthedog
    • By duncanthedog 5th Oct 19, 10:23 AM
    • 703 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    duncanthedog
    Dad went to get his picture taken and form filled in for his bus pass yesterday, should get it through the mail in time for his actual birthday.
    I'm not sure about buses, I don't like the noise of the engine this may scupper his plans to get the bus out to somewhere and walk back home again.

When he walked into the town yesterday without me, he was asked 4 times 'where's Duncan?' it seems that everyone knows who I am and only connect with Dad when I am not with him.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 5th Oct 19, 5:45 PM
    • 40,617 Posts
    • 90,184 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Dad went to get his picture taken and form filled in for his bus pass yesterday, should get it through the mail in time for his actual birthday.
    I'm not sure about buses, I don't like the noise of the engine this may scupper his plans to get the bus out to somewhere and walk back home again.

When he walked into the town yesterday without me, he was asked 4 times 'where's Duncan?' it seems that everyone knows who I am and only connect with Dad when I am not with him.
    Originally posted by duncanthedog
    It's nice to know that you are popular then Duncan.
    I don't have a sister.

• Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 5th Oct 19, 6:00 PM
    • 18,459 Posts
    • 39,592 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Good evening to both Publican and Publishers

You'll get used to the bus Duncan ... a few short journeys and then a whole new world of smells will be yours!

Your dad seems to be recovering nicely
    • duncanthedog
    • By duncanthedog 6th Oct 19, 8:29 AM
    • 703 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    duncanthedog
    Good evening to both Publican and Publishers

You'll get used to the bus Duncan ... a few short journeys and then a whole new world of smells will be yours!

Your dad seems to be recovering nicely
    If you had seen me this morning barking at a bus while dad was trying to put a poo bag in the bin at the bus stop you might have your doubts

Dad is almost back to full distance again, we averaged 11 miles a day last week
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 6th Oct 19, 11:11 AM
    • 18,459 Posts
    • 39,592 Thanks
    Sleazy
    I'd like to manage 11 miles once a week, let alone as a daily average!

Duncan, you and your dad really are an inspiration ... you're a lucky dog and he's a lucky vertical.

At my average walking speed, 11 miles would take me about 4.5 hours or so. I usually manage 1 to 1.5 hours ....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,547Posts Today

7,378Users online

Martin's Twitter