Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mateus
    • By mateus 11th Sep 07, 8:54 PM
    • 146Posts
    • 98Thanks
    mateus
    Avoid Coinstar - Use HSBC!!
    • 11th Sep 07, 8:54 PM
    Avoid Coinstar - Use HSBC!! 11th Sep 07 at 8:54 PM
    You know the Coinstar machines at the supermarket.
    They take a commission (About 5%) for sorting your change out.
    Great they are, but save yourself 's if you have a HSBC high street branch.
    Most of them, now have the machines that are the same, but are FREE, just either type your sort code and account number in, or swipe your card.

Load all your change, and it will be credited into your account. You get a little printout with the amounts of each coin and NO COMMISSION!!!!!

Thanks to Chiptivo on HDUK!
Page 3
  • ShelfStacker
    Don't you get annoyed having to do the whole scales thing? Would be so m uch easier just shoving money into a machine and let it count for me. Nevermind eh.
    Originally posted by Lokolo
    Well, some people have literally sackfuls of coin, which would make the machine a little bit, well, dead. In those cases the counter is quicker; if you've only got a few bagfuls, the machine will do you proud.

At another time a woman said I was 20p down, which I was bit hm about, luckily I had 20p in my pocket spare, but I bet she was scamming me!! :rolleyes:
    Trust me, it happens more often than you think, and it isn't a scam. Some people just miss a couple of pence, meaning we either correct the bags or get the customer to correct the slip. The latter, obviously, is a fair bit more timeconsuming.

(Next week on "A Cashier Vents Spleen" - "No, we can't take cards behind the counter, you need a paying in slip/cheque book to make a deposit/cash withdrawal, yes Barclays do it but it's bad for many reasons, all of them related to your/our !!!! not being covered if something goes wrong or the cashier nicks your money.")
  • spankymonkey
    well im proper MS im afraid.........i count all my change,bag it up then use it to pay for my gas at my post office as i have a gas card. seems you can use change as long as you are paying a bill!
    spanky xx

DFW weight watchers 28lbs to lose
    lost so far 11.5 lbs
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 30th Sep 08, 9:35 AM
    • 11,885 Posts
    • 11,412 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    (Next week on "A Cashier Vents Spleen" - "No, we can't take cards behind the counter, you need a paying in slip/cheque book to make a deposit/cash withdrawal, yes Barclays do it but it's bad for many reasons, all of them related to your/our !!!! not being covered if something goes wrong or the cashier nicks your money.")
    Originally posted by ShelfStacker
    I've deposited with Abbey and now Halifax since 2000 over the counter with a debit card, always got a receipt and never had a problem. Seems so antiquated, now, to have to fill in a deposit slip at HSBC.

Edit: Have just re-read this and I hate it when people use the "I've never had a problem" argument. But my point about it being antiquated still holds. Also, when I wanted to withdraw £15 over the counter at HSBC I was told I needed a cheque book. A cheque book! I didn't think people still used them these days. So I had to go to the cash point, withdraw £20 then back into the bank, fill out a slip and deposit £5. Grrr.
    Last edited by JimmyTheWig; 30-09-2008 at 9:37 AM. Reason: Sorry.
  • Yant1
    Any in Bristol?
    Tryed my local branches today in whiteladies road and parkstreet. I did not spot any obvious coin machines.

Anyone live in Bristol or perhaps in Bath or nearby?

• ShelfStacker
    I've deposited with Abbey and now Halifax since 2000 over the counter with a debit card, always got a receipt and never had a problem. Seems so antiquated, now, to have to fill in a deposit slip at HSBC.

Edit: Have just re-read this and I hate it when people use the "I've never had a problem" argument. But my point about it being antiquated still holds. Also, when I wanted to withdraw £15 over the counter at HSBC I was told I needed a cheque book. A cheque book! I didn't think people still used them these days. So I had to go to the cash point, withdraw £20 then back into the bank, fill out a slip and deposit £5. Grrr.
    Originally posted by JimmyTheWig
    The thing is, you pay in £100 over the counter at Abbey or whatever with just a debit card, and discard the receipt (or decline to take one). You later discover that your account was only credited with £10, so you go back in and find there's nothing they can do until they balance the till that evening, because there's no record of anything related to that transaction other than your word and what the cashier input (£10). Meanwhile, if the same thing happened at HSBC, the cashier could look through a pile of debit slips, see that you wrote down that you were paying in £100 (and that they ticked next to that amount to acknowledge it was there), check your account (or their log of till entries) to see what actually went in and get it sorted there and then.

The need for a slip for withdrawals follows a similar line of reasoning, but IIRC (and this is just my guess, not seen anything official that suggested this) the need for a cheque book would discourage people from taking out small sums over the counter when they could easily do so with a card. (Honestly mystifies me how some people, usually the elderly, would rather queue for 15 minutes behind someone paying in a few grand into their business account to withdraw £20, when they could do it in about a minute using an ATM...)
    • mr1974
    • By mr1974 6th Oct 08, 7:19 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    mr1974
    Do you have any inputs on the HSBC Coin Express machines in London ShelfStacker??
  • Extant
    Doesn't seem to be a problem in any of my group of branches...
  • ShelfStacker
    Do you have any inputs on the HSBC Coin Express machines in London ShelfStacker??
    Originally posted by mr1974
    I wouldn't know, sorry.
  • Odette
    what a clever idea, almost makes me dislike HSBC less...somehow!

any north spotted in north london?
    Aim - BUYING A HOUSE by November 2013!
    Saved = 100% on 03/07/12
    • dougz
    • By dougz 14th Oct 08, 1:29 AM
    • 518 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    dougz
    As far as knowing what branches offer this service, apparently this information is not held on HSBC customer service databases, and if anybody can get it out of them I will eat my hat as I tried endless times. It's not even easy to ring branches directly, as HSBC operates a central number policy, where you can at most leave your details and get called back.
    Originally posted by mr1974
    I suspect the listed branch opening hours might be a useful clue, in that the ones that close earlier are likely to be smaller branches without the fancy machines.

By the way, most branches do seem to have a unique fax number, so maybe you could conduct your poll that way without much effort?
    • far
    • By far 14th Oct 08, 2:54 AM
    • 332 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    far
    Just to add to the list, there's one in Parliament Street, York too.
    • frasersmum123
    • By frasersmum123 14th Oct 08, 6:06 AM
    • 855 Posts
    • 5,742 Thanks
    frasersmum123
    Does anyone know if there is one in Nottingham anywhere?
    Moving on up SPC #382 ~ 40 banked
    12k in 2016 #15. 541.91/3000
    • Chipmunk_Blue
    • By Chipmunk_Blue 1st Nov 08, 11:45 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Chipmunk_Blue
    I called HSBC and they listed all the ones that coin sorters in my area. Aside from Canary Wharf the following the branches in Central London have coin sorters...
    Edgware Rd Marble Arch,
    Baker St,
    Queen Victoria St -Cheapside
    Fleet St
    Clapham Junction
    all have one.
    Apparently they are thinking about publishing this on their website as they are starting to get lots of calls about where these machines are!

The machine count your coins, deposits directly into your account and then prints you a statement of exactly what you deposited.
    I had 483 pennies!

Its kinda like playing the pokies - except all the money goes to you!
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 1st Nov 08, 12:34 PM
    • 4,304 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    I called HSBC and they listed all the ones that coin sorters in my area. Aside from Canary Wharf the following the branches in Central London have coin sorters...
    Edgware Rd Marble Arch,
    Baker St,
    Fleet St
    Clapham Junction
    all have one.
    Originally posted by Chipmunk_Blue
    I used the one at Clapham Junction on Saturday two weeks ago - was suprised at just how popular the machine was!

There is also a coin sorter at the HSBC Charing Cross branch - which is on the Strand near Trafalgar Square/Charing Cross Station

Regards
    Sunil
    • djhworld
    • By djhworld 1st Nov 08, 12:38 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    djhworld
    Does anyone know if there is one in Nottingham anywhere?
    Originally posted by frasersmum123
    I'd also be interested in knowing this.

I'm going to pop into both branches today (the one near the market square and the one near broadmarsh!) to see if they have one.

Can I afford to buy? Mortgage Affordability Calculator

https://caniaffordtobuy.co.uk/
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 1st Nov 08, 12:47 PM
    • 20,216 Posts
    • 15,399 Thanks
    Lokolo
    Edgware Rd Marble Arch,
    Baker St,
    Fleet St
    Clapham Junction
    all have one.
    Apparently they are thinking about publishing this on their website as they are starting to get lots of calls about where these machines are!

The machine count your coins, deposits directly into your account and then prints you a statement of exactly what you deposited.
    I had 483 pennies!

Its kinda like playing the pokies - except all the money goes to you!
    Originally posted by Chipmunk_Blue
    What number did you phone?
    • MissPop
    • By MissPop 1st Nov 08, 8:20 PM
    • 872 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    MissPop
    Am I odd for enjoying counting up all my change...? I have one of those oversized Bell's jars and it's about a third full with 45ish in it - I'm waiting to fill it completely before I count it all up and change it (at the bank - oh they'll love me! ) I feel it shall have to be spent on something special as I've had all that change for about 3 years now, it's very sentimental to me!
    • billbennett
    • By billbennett 3rd Nov 08, 9:13 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    billbennett
    Does anyone know if you can use these machines to pay into a First Direct account?
    In "Monopoly", what makes the "Super Tax" so super?
  • ShelfStacker
    Does anyone know if you can use these machines to pay into a First Direct account?
    Originally posted by billbennett
    Yes.

(message too short... )
    • Lisey Loo
    • By Lisey Loo 3rd Nov 08, 9:53 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 470 Thanks
    Lisey Loo
    There`s a coin counting machine at HSBC on Abington St, Northampton.

MissPop, remember you have to be able to carry all that change to the bank...
    I got caught out with that, saving all my change up then nearly broke my arm carrying it from my car to the bank!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

70Posts Today

2,193Users online

Martin's Twitter