Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sandrine cowling
    • By sandrine cowling 22nd Sep 15, 2:09 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sandrine cowling
    Boarding wrongly disallowed
    • 22nd Sep 15, 2:09 PM
    Boarding wrongly disallowed 22nd Sep 15 at 2:09 PM
    I was on friday looking forward to a fantastic relaxing weekend in London with 3 Friends. We would fly from Cologne to Stansted at 7am with Ryan. I have a french ID card which has expired in 2014 but following new french Law, it is still valid. Prior to flying I made sure that Ryanair was aware of it and to be safed carried with me a signed and certified copy of the new law. Ryanair has published the new on their website " *The validity of French National ID cards (issued for adults) has been extended from 10 years to 15 years ONLY for cards issued between 2nd January 2004 and 31st December 2013 (except flights to/from Malta)" and I was assured when I called Cologne airport that it would be no problem.
    So here we come on time at the airport, had checked in online, passport control was no problem and the we met a man at the boarding gate who refused to let me on the plane. My card is not valid and does not want to hear otherwise, he knows better anywhere, he has been doing the job for at least 10 years, he won't read the Ryanair guidelines or the official document from France. He called his colleague at the ticketdesk who agreed with him and shut the door sending me to his colleague at ticketdesk.
    Whilst I run all the way back, it seems his colleague did some investigation and greeted me with a smile telling me I should be the plane. Too late, plane can not be stopped. OOPs we made a mistake.
    Take is or leave offer was made: we will book you at no further cost on the next Ryanair plane leaving at 19:45 (how very thoughful) or refund the flight. None of these I found acceptable, I was going to miss a whole day in London. I ended up booking a flight on Germanwings for 329,99 leaving at 15:45. Made it to London at 17:20, 9 hours after my friends instead of at least 12 had I taken the Ryanair flight.
    The personal at Ryanair in Stansted was in disbelief of what had happened, urging me to make a complain and assuring me that everyone knew about the french ID card extented validity.
    Seems I met the 2 people who didn't!

What can I hope for in terms of compensation. The weekend was somewhat ruined, the mood was at its lowest, so was the spending money I was then left with for a weekend in London.

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 22nd Sep 15, 2:23 PM
    • 12,388 Posts
    • 8,072 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 22nd Sep 15, 2:23 PM
    • 22nd Sep 15, 2:23 PM
    you have posted on the board for Volcanic Ash delays

You need to read up on Denied Boarding compensation under EU261
    a guide here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5173888 (there is a link to the full regulations in the document)
    • sandrine cowling
    • By sandrine cowling 22nd Sep 15, 6:08 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sandrine cowling
    • 22nd Sep 15, 6:08 PM
    • 22nd Sep 15, 6:08 PM
    Sorry, new on here, not sure how to change the board. Will look later.
    Thanks for the tip, I will check the link out. Denied Boasrding issues are mainly associated with overbooking which is not the case here.
    Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

321Posts Today

3,926Users online

Martin's Twitter