Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    georgeclooneysgirlfriend
    changes to flights, how much can they charge to cancel
    • 9th Mar 15, 9:27 AM
    changes to flights, how much can they charge to cancel 9th Mar 15 at 9:27 AM
    Hi, due to a change in flight stopover times (they have been doubled) we have been left with no choice but to cancel our holiday for 4 adults. Can anyone tell me please how much I can be charged for cancellation. Not due to travel until mid-June. It is important to note that one passenger is booked as special assistance due to a disability which would be seriously aggravated by this lengthy stopver. The company did not inform me or agent of the change, I discovered it by looking at my booking online.
    I would appreciate any help or advice. Thank you
Page 1
    • tomtontom
    • By tomtontom 9th Mar 15, 9:35 AM
    • 7,184 Posts
    • 16,347 Thanks
    tomtontom
    • 9th Mar 15, 9:35 AM
    • 9th Mar 15, 9:35 AM
    You would need to check the booking conditions for cancellation charges. Have you spoken with the agent about the change, how long is the stopover?
  • georgeclooneysgirlfriend
    • 9th Mar 15, 3:31 PM
    Stop over
    • 9th Mar 15, 3:31 PM
    The stop over is 5 hrs 30 min but as we have a 4 hour car journey, then a flight of 7 hrs prior to lengthy stopover the passenger with disability is no longer able to travel. The agent has come back and said the providers are keeping the full deposit, 1194.60. Devastated. Cannot afford to lose this sort of money and cannot afford to make one of our party very unwell with proceeding.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 9th Mar 15, 4:28 PM
    • 12,402 Posts
    • 8,078 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 9th Mar 15, 4:28 PM
    • 9th Mar 15, 4:28 PM
    who is the airline/travel company. what is their definition of "major change" that will allow you to cancel without penalty?
    Is their maybe a business lounge that you could use at the stopover point?
    Where is the stopover? eg if in the US, half of that could be eaten up with immigration queues so the wait may not be as long as you think?
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 9th Mar 15, 4:42 PM
    • 20,378 Posts
    • 47,245 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 9th Mar 15, 4:42 PM
    • 9th Mar 15, 4:42 PM
    TBH, depending on where the 'stop-over' is 5hr 30min is probably more realistic than trying to make a connection in 2hr15, especially if travelling with a disabled person who needs assistance. Perhaps this is why they've changed your times?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • 9th Mar 15, 6:19 PM
    More info
    • 9th Mar 15, 6:19 PM
    The stopover is in Doha. I booked with an agent, travel company are Kuoni who say Qatar airways are responsible.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 10th Mar 15, 8:57 AM
    • 13,320 Posts
    • 9,174 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 10th Mar 15, 8:57 AM
    • 10th Mar 15, 8:57 AM
    The simplest solution: book a hotel near the departure airport so that the long car journey is on a different day than the flight with the long stopover. I'm sure that you could do without the extra cost, but the rest before the flight will make everything that much easier for all of you, especially the person with the disability.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 10th Mar 15, 11:09 AM
    • 3,961 Posts
    • 2,469 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 10th Mar 15, 11:09 AM
    • 10th Mar 15, 11:09 AM
    If 3 hours added stop-over is enough to make it impossible to travel the flights never should have been booked in the first place. What if there was a delay or cancellation along the way? That could easily result in much more than 3 hours added travel time.
    • tomtontom
    • By tomtontom 10th Mar 15, 11:20 AM
    • 7,184 Posts
    • 16,347 Thanks
    tomtontom
    • 10th Mar 15, 11:20 AM
    • 10th Mar 15, 11:20 AM
    Doha has business lounges, quiet rooms and an airport hotel - it's pretty decent as far as transits go!
    requested to do car journey the day before and rest overnight but to no avail. and the transfer is by private car as part of the package so at their behest.
    Last edited by georgeclooneysgirlfriend; 10-03-2015 at 11:33 AM. Reason: additional info
    • duchy
    • By duchy 10th Mar 15, 11:32 AM
    • 18,373 Posts
    • 46,796 Thanks
    duchy
    It really isn't an unreasonable layover but I'd second the suggestion to overnight before travelling. As far as the airline are concerned what you are doing before and after the flight isn't their concern - their contract is to get you to your destination airport and adding 2 hours onto the flight time wouldn't constitute a major change (no matter how much it feels like one to you).
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
    Thanks to all who replied to my query. Much appreciated
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 18th Mar 15, 12:21 AM
    • 6,275 Posts
    • 5,720 Thanks
    mgdavid
    Thanks to all who replied to my query. Much appreciated
    Originally posted by georgeclooneysgirlfriend
    are you able and willing to say how it ended up?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,541Posts Today

7,540Users online

Martin's Twitter