Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LeeBalders
    • By LeeBalders 17th Nov 14, 12:19 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 34Thanks
    LeeBalders
    Yorkshire & Clydesdale Banks offering 150 for switching
    • 17th Nov 14, 12:19 PM
    Yorkshire & Clydesdale Banks offering 150 for switching 17th Nov 14 at 12:19 PM
    The Daily Mail are reporting that Clydesdale and Yorkshire banks are now offering 150 to switch to one of their current accounts. They require a 1000 pay-in each month but no direct debits mentioned (guessing the article was referring to the Current Account Direct).
Page 2
    • cydney65
    • By cydney65 17th Nov 14, 10:35 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 5,242 Thanks
    cydney65
    So that initial 1000, does it have to stay in there or can it be transferred out in those 60 days?
    TOTAL DEBT @ LBM : 17082.66 DEBT FREE 7/01/13 Save 12K in 2019 No. 63; Jan 816.08 Total 816.08/5000 Penny a Day 108.50 We all grow old, use your life, the world goes and flutters by
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 18th Nov 14, 10:01 AM
    • 2,908 Posts
    • 1,975 Thanks
    lee111s
    It doesn't say you can't remove it. So I suspect you can transfer 1000 and remove it the same day.

It only stipulates that you must make a 1000 one off payment.
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 18th Nov 14, 12:08 PM
    • 7,497 Posts
    • 61,547 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    So, is this one incentive from Clydesdale, and one from Yorkshire, or are they the same company, and it's either or?
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    • karlie88
    • By karlie88 18th Nov 14, 12:48 PM
    • 8,837 Posts
    • 108,246 Thanks
    karlie88
    Just a quick question for new customers who've applied for a current account...I went through their application, opened an account and was informed that they'll send me paperwork to sign.

I then asked about the switch incentive and was told they'll also send me a switching pack for me to fill in re: old account details etc.

Was advised to send the paperwork to sign first, allow the account to be fully opened, debit card created etc and then send the switching forms back (and for me to enter the switch completion date).

Anyone else in a similar position? Seems like a long winded process compared to other banks...but certainly worth it.
    Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 18th Nov 14, 1:16 PM
    • 6,523 Posts
    • 4,160 Thanks
    Ken68
    Just applied for this, paperwork in the post. The young lady asked for details of the switching account but nothing actionable until signed form is returned.
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 18th Nov 14, 1:19 PM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 1,422 Thanks
    Ed-1
    So, is this one incentive from Clydesdale, and one from Yorkshire, or are they the same company, and it's either or?
    Originally posted by fuzzgun19
    They're the same bank. Yorkshire can see any accounts you have with Clydesdale and vice versa although they have separate internet banking. I've had the 4% Current Account Direct since last November.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 18th Nov 14, 3:28 PM
    • 11,031 Posts
    • 10,319 Thanks
    colsten
    Seems like a long winded process compared to other banks...but certainly worth it.
    Originally posted by karlie88
    It's exactly the process that any serious customer would follow - have your new account fully functioning with online access and fully working debit card before you ask for a switch - as if you didn't, you could find yourself stranded with no access to any money.

They obviously don't have a fastpath for bonus tarts, and you wouldn't expect them to.

Their account opening process is, however, ridiculously slow. Those who reported that they opened a new account on the phone have a surprise waiting for them.....as the account won't be opened until YB/CB have processed the paperwork that you have to post back to them once you have signed the forms they are posting to you.
    • zerog
    • By zerog 18th Nov 14, 5:18 PM
    • 2,432 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    zerog
    Does anyone have an alternative non-0845 number? There is the callback service but don't want to use that if I can help it
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 18th Nov 14, 5:21 PM
    • 30,971 Posts
    • 18,986 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    Does anyone have an alternative non-0845 number?
    Originally posted by zerog
    What about trying the Freephone number already given in post #11?
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 18th Nov 14, 5:25 PM
    • 7,497 Posts
    • 61,547 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    So, you apply for the account over the phone.. is it a long call?

Then you sign papers and return. Once you get the debit card, you phone them back to switch.

Have I got this right?
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    • Chadsman
    • By Chadsman 18th Nov 14, 5:34 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    Chadsman
    Does anyone have an alternative non-0845 number? There is the callback service but don't want to use that if I can help it
    Originally posted by zerog

The back of my Yorkshire Bank debit card has the following number for customer service from outside the UK...
    +44 141 951 7315

So from within the UK that's...
    0141 951 7315
    God save the Queen!
    I'll save Elizabeth Fry, Charles Darwin, Adam Smith, Matthew Boulton and James Watt.
  • MRMX9
    In terms of the account you need to switch from to qualify does anyone know if a basic bank account would qualify.

I have an old Halifax basic bank account with a visa electron card opened in the days when this card saved you money when buying flights with easyjet and Ryanair etc. Never use this now so I might as well close it.

I assume this wouldnt qualify but no harm in asking I suppose!
    • karlie88
    • By karlie88 18th Nov 14, 6:16 PM
    • 8,837 Posts
    • 108,246 Thanks
    karlie88
    It's exactly the process that any serious customer would follow.
    Originally posted by colsten
    How many of us are a 'serious customer' here in switching their main bank account? A minority?

My comment was relating to the whole process; from account opening to the final switch date and everything in between.

Seems like it's going to be a long process.

Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 18th Nov 14, 6:31 PM
    • 4,849 Posts
    • 1,592 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    Yes, basic bank accounts like the Easycash are eligible as they classed as current accounts.

Unusually, they are offering the 150 to switch to any account in their range including their basic (Readycash) account.

In terms of the account you need to switch from to qualify does anyone know if a basic bank account would qualify.

I have an old Halifax basic bank account with a visa electron card opened in the days when this card saved you money when buying flights with easyjet and Ryanair etc. Never use this now so I might as well close it.

I assume this wouldnt qualify but no harm in asking I suppose!
    Originally posted by MRMX9
  • MRMX9
    How many of us are a 'serious customer' here in switching their main bank account? A minority?

My comment was relating to the whole process; from account opening to the final switch date and everything in between.

Seems like it's going to be a long process.

Well I am about to start on this process too - partly because I am planning to open an isa with them as well so would like online access to view balances etc.

As the song goes - 'Its a long way to Piccadilly'.

That being the only branch Clydesdale and the Yorkshire have in the whole of London and the south east!
    • colsten
    • By colsten 18th Nov 14, 7:37 PM
    • 11,031 Posts
    • 10,319 Thanks
    colsten
    That's exactly the point I was trying to make. It's bonus tarts in the main on here because there's many smart people on here. To expect special treatment (as in: fast application processing) because you don't actually need a debit card and a PIN or a cheque book isn't very smart though. You have to play the system as the system won't change for you.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 18th Nov 14, 7:50 PM
    • 11,031 Posts
    • 10,319 Thanks
    colsten
    This offer looks like a calculated investment by National Australia Group (NAG) to make YB/CB look a bit more attractive to potential buyers by showing lots of new customers in the last x months. Like you'd quickly paint your walls and put some new flooring in if you were looking for a quick sale of your house (not implying that any of the readers' houses are like YB/CB, or have any shortfalls).

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/business/business-news/nab-set-to-sell-off-yorkshire-bank-1-6919597

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/oct/30/national-australia-bank-sale-yorkshire-clydesdale

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29828199

It's great news to us bonus tarts, thanks NAG
    • starM
    • By starM 18th Nov 14, 8:20 PM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    starM
    Hi,

Will ring them tomorrow to go through application process.

Quick question - do they provide immediate decision over the phone?

It looks the 150 also available on Readycash account. 1st time I have seen banks making this available on Basic accounts.
  • ninetynine
    Am I right in thinking that I would not receive 150 for switching?

I have a current account direct with YB and have to pay in 1000 per month in order to receive 4% interest on my balance and have been doing so for longer than 6 months.

Am I permitted to open a 2nd account with YB or a new one with CB to receive the switching bonus or will I have to sit this one out? I've read (and re-read) the T&Cs and think I am not eligible for the bonus but was wondering if any other 4% account holder will be attempting to switch?
    • colsten
    • By colsten 19th Nov 14, 8:21 AM
    • 11,031 Posts
    • 10,319 Thanks
    colsten
    I've read (and re-read) the T&Cs and think I am not eligible for the bonus
    Originally posted by sophia1989
    You are quite right, given your existing relationship with YB you are not eligible for this offer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

375Posts Today

4,759Users online

Martin's Twitter