Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 26th Jan 14, 2:19 PM
    • 8,903Posts
    • 45,871Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on
    • 26th Jan 14, 2:19 PM
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on 26th Jan 14 at 2:19 PM
    <sneaks in hoping nobody will notice>

Hi all

Goodness me, it's been ever such a long time since I've been here! It seems I disappeared without a trace almost two whole years ago, and then life got in the way, and you know what it's like when you've been gone for so long, it's quite hard to come back...

In fact, it's been so long since I went that maybe nobody even remembers I was here in the first place If you feel the need to delve into my history the latest (not-very-up-to-date) version is here, and the one before that is here.

Anyway, I'm back again now and if I disappear again I promise I shall leave a note explaining myself

I've decided to come back for two reasons:

(1) I'm not in debt, but I'm also not-quite-as-much-in-control-as-I'd-like I've FINALLY combined finances with Mr Daffs (after 8 years) and there's lots of messing around related to that to be done

(2) I've just spent a cheery couple of hours reading back through my old diaries (how very sad ) and remembering JUST HOW CHEERFUL it was in the old days of hanging round here

I confess I'm a tiny bit daunted about coming back - one of the reasons I vanished was because I was spending FAR too much time on the internet and I'm wary of doing that again... But for now I've decided there's plenty of other things to worry about without bothering my little head about that one

Ooh, I should probably explain the 'buttling' in my title It's a word I invented (although I suspect other people have invented it before me). It's kind of what butlers do, you see - they buttle - make tea and open doors and tidy up, and generally buttle around getting on with little things

And while I don't intend to put on a suit and act like Jeeves any time soon (although actually come to think of it, he was a valet, not a butler), i LOVE using the word and spend much of every day buttling around doing all kinds of cheerful activities

Suppose I'd best do something like talking about money now...
Page 6
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 12th Feb 14, 10:03 PM
    • 8,903 Posts
    • 45,871 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Do sometimes end up buying extra food on these long fieldworky days, but i've got pasta bake, yogurt, fruit, cereal bars and we're spending the day in a care home which often means a bountiful supply of biscuits so i might be alright...
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 13th Feb 14, 4:34 PM
    • 15,032 Posts
    • 99,335 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Cheery I'm so glad you can claim 'emergency cuppa's' on expenses!

That seems very appropriate!

Hope today wasn't too long and twangled.
    Total debt 26/4/18 <1925 we were getting there.
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 7867.38
    minus 112.06 = 7755.32
    Sleeves up folks.
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 13th Feb 14, 7:13 PM
    • 8,903 Posts
    • 45,871 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I can, although I may well not

Today was indeed long, but not too twangled (what an ace word!) Lovely day really, chattering to lovely folk. Picked the right day weather-wise too - glorious sunshine and not much in the way of delayed trains either

However, it did end up being rather spendy...

1.50 bus to town
    3.90 lunch (I took leftovers but person we were meeting at 11.30 cancelled so lunchtime was VERY long so we sneaked off to a cafe for some plotting and scheming )
    1.50 (more) tea and lion bar (well, we were in the cafe for a LONG time )
    3.10 eggs and banananas and chocolate for treating valentines breakfast in bed
    6.80 taxi home

Not even going to bother adding it up :$

Going to do a big add up tomorrow or Saturday (half way through the month) - I'm not writing spends anywhere other than here so have NO idea where I'm up to...

Tomorrow I MUST investigate blithering library stuff - got a DVD out, Mr Cheery lent it to Friend A and told her to give it to Friend B to bring back the next day when she visited - only it wasn't Friend B who was visiting, it was Friend C, who has the same name as Friend B... Friend A said she'd take the DVD back herself, but I've had another email from the library to say it's more than 2 weeks late now...

Must also do council tax-y things (yawnarama)
    And run
    And ring roofer (maybe)
    And and and and.

Oh, and a community garden meeting in the evening (just for an hour)

And something romatic I suppose
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 15th Feb 14, 3:01 PM
    • 8,903 Posts
    • 45,871 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oh dear, I didn't do ANY of those things! Stayed in bed til lunchtime (which was GREAT, I rarely do that these days ) then went for a lovely rainy walk with Mr Cheery - although my wellies sprung a leak! Both feet!! Fortunately these were only 3 from a charity shop the other week, so I shall be back wearing my industrial strength blood-and-acid-proof steel toe cap ones until I can find a hanging-around-in replacement.

Anyway... long walk and lunch in a cafe

13 (but comes from treats budget so doesn't count )

Also popped to shop later, but Mr Cheery paid for milk etc from food budget so that doesn't count either.

Gosh - does that mean I actually had a NSD without realising?? Or doesn't it count because I still spent from treats budget? But I'm not trying to restrict the treats budget (absolutely not!!) and I have no control over the food budget, so should I ignore them altogether??

What do other people do??

I reckon if I was only counting my own actual personal spends I could fit in LOADs of NSDS But that might count as cheating

Not toooo spendy today:

4.30 all day bus ticket
    4 flute choir room hire
    1 tea
    2.38 tofu and veggie sausages (should probably come from food budget, but they're not something we usually buy, I was just trying to avoid cake and hankering after sausage and mash instead )

Ignored 3 library fine

Tried to get another 250 cash out to go towards new car - only cash machine said 'TRANSACTION FAILED' and its little flap just opened and shut and no money came out

Stood there like an idiot, then the screen went back to 'Welcome to the bank!' so I let the people behind me use it - no problem - then I tried again and it said 'YOU HAVE EXCEEDED YOUR DAILY WITHDRAWAL LIMIT!'

Tried to ring bank, couldn't remember phone number, so stomped round to branch, which was shut. Managed to ring, and woman said 'yes, you've exceeded your cash limit for the day' - er... weren't you listening?? Grrr.

Apparently, 'if the cash machine realises it hasn't actually paid you' it will be credited to my account within 24 hours - it best bloody had be!!

Fortunately we now have a joint account so I just pinched it out of there instead (I'd transferred it out of the joint savings anyway, just stuck it in my own account to take out because I knew I'd have the card with me)

Blah blah

Bit grumpy today (but much better after parsnip-and-sprout-and-mash-and-sausages-and-gravy )

Going to go upstairs and try to sort out the tip that is my post-painting attic. I may be some time...
    • DedicatedDFW
    • By DedicatedDFW 15th Feb 14, 4:13 PM
    • 4,233 Posts
    • 13,906 Thanks
    DedicatedDFW
    Hi Cheery

Hope you get plenty of things sorted out in the attic

Very annoying about the money from the machine - its worse too when you get to speak to someone and they don't seem to listen Hopefully it'll be sorted out without any more trouble I think my bank telephone number is on the back of my card - just as it may help in future

What is happening with your old car? And what is this exciting news about the new car?

Everyone seems to set their own rules for NSDs so i would say to try and work something out that will work for you - eg if there is an area you feel you are overspending in and want to cut down on then put in a rule that will focus the mind on that.

For me direct debits don't count for NSDs - this is because they *have* to be paid, come out at all different times and i have no choice but to pay them
    Petrol - it is a *need* i don't top up on a set day (which i'd prefer to do) as my Mr often uses my car instead of his which uses up my petrol and i then end up spending more than my budget so i just put petrol in when i need to and within budget
    Food - this varies - mostly it is from budget and essential *but* if i go to a shop and treat us to something we don't *need* - a bit like with the sausages - then i class this as a spend. Especially because any money saved on food goes towards the house so that is a good motivator for me
    And treats - although i have a budget for them i also don't want to be spending every day / most days so if i spend on treats then it is not an nsd

Looking forward to hearing how you go on with the attic transformation
    CC1:T 2531 1460
    MORTGAGE OVERPAYMENTS: 10575.20 Target 12,100
    MF Date: August 2042 May 2035
    Declutter 1000 things by Xmas 2015! 53/1000
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 15th Feb 14, 6:31 PM
    • 8,903 Posts
    • 45,871 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks dedicated will have a think our treats budget is definitely 'joint treats' - mostly going out for breakfast or lunch

my spends is basically just treats for me so that's what i need to keep an eye on.

just added up the month so far (i'd do fancy colours but i'm on the phone and it's too hard )

5.02 donations
    15.50 clothes
    19.53 'treating foods'(sausage, chocolate, slimming world cereal bars etc)
    16.90 travel (this is weekend bus or taxi etc, doesn't include work travel)
    9.90 tea and cake (with people other than mr cheery )
    6 magazines
    34.50 race entry
    37.42 misc (attic paint and brush, candles, hair bobbles, birthday cards etc)

total so far 144.77

monthly budget is 200

which just goes to show exactly WHY i need to start writing everything down again...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 15th Feb 14, 6:36 PM
    • 8,903 Posts
    • 45,871 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ok, two weeks left and just over 50 in spends budget...

Should be ok...
    sun - community garden then running - both free (NSD??)
    Mon - work in office, slimming world eve (5 cereal bars)
    Tues - work in office, al anon (2 donation
    Wed - work at home, no evening plans
    Thurs - work at home, no evening plans
    Friday - long run
    Sat - parkrun
    Sun - community garden

so nothing actually *planned* in terms of spendiness... be interesting to see if i can manage
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 15th Feb 14, 6:36 PM
    • 8,903 Posts
    • 45,871 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    blithering formatting!

was wondering if i could manage four NSDs this coming week????

• DedicatedDFW
    • By DedicatedDFW 15th Feb 14, 7:41 PM
    • 4,233 Posts
    • 13,906 Thanks
    DedicatedDFW
    Good Luck with the NSDs Cheery

Yep - thats why i find it good to focus as the small spends mount up surprisingly i find - quite sneaky of them really

How'd the attic arranging go ?
    CC1:T 2531 1460
    MORTGAGE OVERPAYMENTS: 10575.20 Target 12,100
    MF Date: August 2042 May 2035
    Declutter 1000 things by Xmas 2015! 53/1000
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 16th Feb 14, 5:19 PM
    • 8,903 Posts
    • 45,871 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I finished it, thank you! Lots of things still stuffed under the eaves, of course but it LOOKS tidy, which is all that matters

Shame the same can't be said of the rest of the house

Anyway, today was SO nearly a NSD! And then I went and spent 1500 on a new car

Quite impressed, I dragged a friend along but Mr Cheery couldn't come, so I had to test drive on my own (the bloke actually sent us off without him, with all his tools in the back ) We, er, got a bit lost so I think he was quite relieved when we eventually turned up again

Wibbled all the way home - I've never test driven a car before, never bought one on my own before, and actually only ever driven our current one, two rickety old transit vans and the one I learned in.

But of course it was all fine

Need to do things like sorting insurance, finding the best way of disposing of the old one (which actually still drives, but the water tank is full of oil - may be a five minute job if you know what you're doing but for various reasons we decided not to fix it). Should at least get a couple of hundred even if we scrap it, and will also get 6 months insurance refund, 2 months tax refund etc.

Also - theoretically this one is a LOT more efficient than the old one, and the tax is 100 a year less, so (theoretically) we should save 700 a year on fuel/tax and maybe even a bit on insurance too

Of course the new one is ancient too, so may be just as inefficient but right now I don't care :P

Need a stiff brandy
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 16th Feb 14, 9:06 PM
    • 8,903 Posts
    • 45,871 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Right - been out for tea and come back, and now need to sort car insurance

Could leave it til tomorrow but I'm at work all day, and this 24 hour thing runs out at 2.45... (not that we'll be needing it tomorrow!)

Just need to figure out - I am now registered keeper, because I was there and Mr Cheery wasn't and one of us needed to sign the V5 thing. Except we need Mr Cheery to be the main driver for insurance purposes - he uses it most, and I have no No Claims Discount (cos I've always been just named driver) so current quote for me first is 600...

So - some things to find out:

* can we have me as registered keeper and him first on insurance?
    * how easy is it to change to him being registered owner/keeper/whatever? Do we have to wait for V5 thing in the post?
    * we still possess old car (although are planning on selling/scrapping in next couple of days) - for insurance purposes do we officially 'have access to two cars'?? Surely not - by the time they've sorted the paperwork we'll have sold the damn thing!

Goodness me how much I hate anything like this!
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 16th Feb 14, 9:49 PM
    • 15,032 Posts
    • 99,335 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Hey there
    I've consulted the RG

1 - yes YOUR RG can be named as the driver and access his no claims
    2 - very easy but think filling the form is the easiest way you just pop off the slip.
    3 - yes you do, but if you're not intending on using it then its not an issue other than you might get a better rate for the new car if you declare the old one.

Hugs love - sounds quite straight forward.

Total debt 26/4/18 <1925 we were getting there.
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 7867.38
    minus 112.06 = 7755.32
    Sleeves up folks.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Feb 14, 9:52 PM
    • 32,404 Posts
    • 191,546 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I'm not surprised you hate it! It sounds so fiddly and pernickety, aargh - but well done you on buying it! Yes, it did rather spoil your NSD but I think the Powers That Be have to give you that one
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 16th Feb 14, 11:52 PM
    • 8,903 Posts
    • 45,871 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thank you lovely ladies, and special mention to pippi's rock god too

all sorted now mostly... new insurance policy started 45 mins ago have said we only have access to one because this one will be scrapped within next 2 days and i'm not paying an admin fee to change it!

Stupid thing said we could only claim no claims discount on one policy - again i wasn't going to pay admin fee for updating in 2 days so have (apparently) transferred to new one - i imagine that'll invalidate the old one, but by the time they send us a letter about it i'll have scrapped it anyway.

Apparently it's now illegal to own a car without insurance (even if you don't drive it) - a change in last 2 years apparently!

Anyway, new insurance slightly more expensive than old at 238 for both of us for the year, but frankly it was gone midnight and i had no more patience to look still not tooooo bad

should get six months insurance back off old one (100 theoretically althought i imagine we'll lose half that in 'cancellation fees'). should get 2 months tax back too (about 40?) Should be able to just transfer RAC cover to new one.

Think we'll try the give a car scheme to get rid of old - anyone used it? Tis a social enterprise, they collect your car, scrap or auction it, take admin fee the either donate rest to chosen charity or split between charity and you. Scrap quote was only 155 and it's nowhere near properly dead so if they can salvage or fix then good.

I do not have the patience to !!!! around selling it

anyway, alarm will go off in about 5 hours, best go to sleep
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Feb 14, 10:58 AM
    • 32,404 Posts
    • 191,546 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That sounds great, Cheery - I've no idea about the scheme, I just do public transport, but it sounds excellent.

Your light's on (so is mine since I'm on here, of course) and ooh, its lunchtime
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 17th Feb 14, 11:28 AM
    • 8,903 Posts
    • 45,871 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Tis indeed lunchtime Proper peckish today!

I'd not heard of the give a car scheme until a friend mentioned it last week (although she said sometimes young trainee mechanics used them for practice, which I can't see on their website). Will investigate further when I'm not at work...

Just declaring yesterday's spends while I remember:

1550 car
    238 car insurance (from car fund - will need rejigging once everything is sorted out cos it should be LESS every month )
    3.20 treat food to celebrate
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Feb 14, 2:57 PM
    • 32,404 Posts
    • 191,546 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Loving the 3.20
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 17th Feb 14, 4:14 PM
    • 8,903 Posts
    • 45,871 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I'm loving the fact that i stood in the co-op wanting a treat and not having a clue what to buy i was so overwhelmed and tired so i walked out with milk (which we needed), a pretzl for Mr Cheery (in case i'd bought a right lemon of a car and he needed cheering up), a tin of chick peas, and a freddo each It's coming to something when you can't even choose yourself a treat!!

Nowt much today

23 work travel

er, that's it so far, but will get cereal bars on way home.

Did i say i rang bank again - that cash machinr 250 is on its way back to me, thank goodness!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Feb 14, 6:31 PM
    • 32,404 Posts
    • 191,546 Thanks
    Karmacat
    You *do* sound tired have a gentle evening.
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 17th Feb 14, 7:30 PM
    • 8,903 Posts
    • 45,871 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks I've just run a bubble bath and after that i fully intend to get straight into bed!

not much else to declare today

4.40 cereal bars

tomorrow might be a bit more spendy - we've got no yogurts so i'll end up with M&S ones from the train station I've also just scoffed the not-quite-leftovers for tea cos i was so hungry and it was so tasty, so i'm also currently going to have to buy lunch (unless i get enthused to make something after bath)

Exciting thing today - jury service travel/expenses payment came through 20 odd for travel and 35.03 canteen savings - a whole 10p more than i expected i reckon that's going straight in the treats fund

Must go and deal with myself - i just managed to unsubscribe from my own diary, clearly in need of a kip...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

404Posts Today

4,625Users online

Martin's Twitter