Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    can I claim housing benefit if my landlord is also my boyfriend
    • #1
    • 26th Aug 12, 12:19 PM
    can I claim housing benefit if my landlord is also my boyfriend 26th Aug 12 at 12:19 PM
    I am having to move out of my current private rented house and my boyfriend has 2 that he has been renting out for 15 years. He lives in his own house with his mum and brother. He has said that I can rent one of them which has come empty and it is ideal as it means I can take my 3 dogs an 2 cats with me an the 2 kids. But I only work part time and claim housing benefit for half my rent and council tax benefit. Would I still be able to do this even tho he is my boyfriend?? Or is there a law against it?? The council have been letting them for him in the past to DSS tennants but he is willing to let me live there but he cant drop the rent enough for me to be able to afford it without benefits as he has still got a mortgage on it.....or should I keep looking for one with a landlord that I dont know?
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,167Posts Today

8,435Users online

Martin's Twitter