Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mumto2
    • By Mumto2 29th Nov 11, 11:28 AM
    • 1,344Posts
    • 1,669Thanks
    Mumto2
    Mary Berry Christmas Cake Mix - Tesco's - NOW £2!!
    • 29th Nov 11, 11:28 AM
    Mary Berry Christmas Cake Mix - Tesco's - NOW £2!! 29th Nov 11 at 11:28 AM
    As title says, these are now half price in Tesco's.
    Includes most things you need to make the cake (need to add egg, butter), bargain as it costs nearly that to get the marzipan & icing.
    Also had the Christmas cupcake kits for £2.50 although not as many as these.

ETA - lots of people still buying these & reporting it's on until 2nd Jan - excellent!!
    Last edited by Mumto2; 07-12-2011 at 8:29 PM.
    Now proud Mumto3
Page 29
  • hlw1810
    If I got the fruit cake and made it, and kept feeding it, would it keep?
    Originally posted by Ellie_B
    I've stuck one of my sainsburys ones in the freezer for next christmas - don't think it would keep for a year out of the freezer!
  • purpleheather2810
    Hi all - just making the MB spiced cupcakes. Going to try using half butter and half soft cheese for the frosting instead of just butter and orange juice instead of brandy (I'm making them for a kids party). They smell good!
    Skint but happy with my lovely family

Hypnotherapy rocks
    • LilacLillie
    • By LilacLillie 30th Dec 11, 3:48 PM
    • 2,896 Posts
    • 10,245 Thanks
    LilacLillie
    I've not seen the cup cake mix at my store, but loads of the xmas cake mix.
    I bought 2 one for me and one for neighbour, not given it to her yet though.
    Hope those that want manage to get some.
    LL
    We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

---------------------------------------------------
    • The Old Bag
    • By The Old Bag 30th Dec 11, 3:52 PM
    • 4,572 Posts
    • 22,233 Thanks
    The Old Bag
    I've stuck one of my sainsburys ones in the freezer for next christmas - don't think it would keep for a year out of the freezer!
    Originally posted by hlw1810
    Grandmother and Great Aunt used to make Christmas cakes, wrap in several layers of greaseproof paper and then foil and put away for at least a year.
    They would only ever serve Christmas cake if it was at least a year old - it was always moist and delicious.
    Also brilliant for having something in case of "emergencies" later on...i.e unexpected guests for tea.....in the days before 24 hour supermarkets.
    I thought that the fruit, sugar and alcohol etc was one of the ways older generations had of preserving food for long periods, like smoking and pickling etc.
    Anyway, we never had a problem with any of the cakes going off EVER... and all the family have carried on the tradition of keeping cakes for a year plus.....only problem being they are so delicious it is a struggle not to eat them up straight away.
    Obviously must be eaten with a nice piece of Cheshire Cheese, or Cheddar at a push
  • prettyflamingo
    If I got the fruit cake and made it, and kept feeding it, would it keep?
    Originally posted by Ellie_B
    i have looked into this and lots of people online have said that as long as you wrap it well and keep it airtight it will keep for years! mainly because of the alcohol so I think to be on the safe side i will feed it a couple of times then put it away, and probably october time unwrap it and if its ok feed it again. worth the risk i think for £1!
    btw for anyone in the area there are none left in Warrington or Irlam that i could find, hope that helps save any wasted journeys
    Car Boot Queen!!

Clothes Golden Rule: Never pay full price unless it is an utter bargain in the first place!
    Sales, boots, charity shops, ebay- why would anyone ever pay full price for anything??!
    • Mumto2
    • By Mumto2 3rd Jan 12, 5:06 PM
    • 1,344 Posts
    • 1,669 Thanks
    Mumto2
    Still cupcake mixes for 50p in Northampton today
    Now proud Mumto3
    • Welsh Poppy
    • By Welsh Poppy 3rd Jan 12, 5:26 PM
    • 980 Posts
    • 5,912 Thanks
    Welsh Poppy
    None left in swansea but have 6 packs cake in cupboard just made mince meat to freeze for my mince pies next year.
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 11th Jan 12, 11:13 AM
    • 6,052 Posts
    • 26,457 Thanks
    Mirů
    Decided to make another cake today. Just opened the bag and am somewhat puzzled to find some ingredients missing....namely the black treacle and the mixed spice. Also, the flour is in an unlabelled pack. Very odd! Have made 2 previously and everything was present and correct then.....just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem?

Only paid £2 for it but still....gonna have to go out now and get the missing things which is a bit annoying!!

Still hope Mary has made a nice pension out of this
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • anamcara
    • By anamcara 15th Jan 12, 5:55 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    anamcara
    just bought 4 Mary Berry cup cake mixes 50p each.

Partner not happy as I got orange/lemon slices as toppers and shimmer balls (NOT silver balls) as decorations.

Very happy
  • floyd
    I bought 3 of the cake mixes today in Liverpool near where I work. I think I'm going down the route of cook now and feed for 11 moths so they are walking (or staggering) on their own by Christmas!
    • mandragora
    • By mandragora 17th Jan 12, 9:27 PM
    • 2,561 Posts
    • 4,758 Thanks
    mandragora
    We're on the last tranche of ours now - about one more weekend and it'll be gone!! It's got nicer and nicer as the time's gone on, but I think I'll be keeping my two extras in their packs, in the cupboard until I need them (I'll perhaps make one at Easter and do one for the summer hols) - I don't see a lot of gain in making them now for next Christmas. I have made and frozen xmas cakes before now, and also made and 'fed' them too. The freezing doesn't add anything, just frees up time for later on while taking up storage space in the freezer; the 'feeding' over any prolonged time can make them soo boozy, that it overwhelms everything else.
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • Hadley
    I have a Mary Berry cake in the oven at the moment it's been in there for 5 hours and a lot of liquid is in the bottom of my oven and cake does not seem to be cooking.What have I done wrong?
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 18th Jan 12, 7:50 PM
    • 31,038 Posts
    • 64,906 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I have a Mary Berry cake in the oven at the moment it's been in there for 5 hours and a lot of liquid is in the bottom of my oven and cake does not seem to be cooking.What have I done wrong?
    Originally posted by Hadley
    Is your oven on high enough? What kind of cake pan are you using, and did you line it properly? I would retrieve the cake from the oven and give it a good clean before you start cooking the cake again (this may be best left until tomorrow now). Did you follow the recipe to the letter? The liquid is puzzling, you may have to fold in a bit more flour if it's a very loose mixture, and then add extra booze after it's cooked for added moisture.

I have one huge vegan Christmas cake (of my own recipe) hidden away, and 2 MB cake mixes that expire next month. I have no intention of cooking either yet, I thought I'd leave them until later this year and then feed in plenty of rum. I am loathe to use eggs and would like to make a vegan version out of the MB mix, which as far as I can see contains no animal products. Has anyone tried not following the stated recipe, and with what results?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Hadley
    Thanks for the reply I followed the recipe to the letter and my oven is the correct temp I also lined the tin correctly (20cm) tin.I have taken it out now and am hoping for the best.I have another one but I think I will use the ingredients in another way.
  • Jenadelle
    mary berry christmas cake mix
    Does anyone know if I can substitute margarine for butter in this mix?
    • Welsh Poppy
    • By Welsh Poppy 16th Jun 12, 2:00 PM
    • 980 Posts
    • 5,912 Thanks
    Welsh Poppy
    Yes no problem at all I use Soya marg in all mine.
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • Diflower
    Glad to see there are others who haven't cooked theirs yet
    I did look at mine the other day, then forgot to buy oranges and lemons so it's back on top of the cupboard (I know I could do it without, but I like it better with).

How long does anyone think it's ok, since the fruit's already soaking in booze? - that's the only bit that's been worrying me slightly.

• lucyhope
    • By lucyhope 17th Jun 12, 10:14 AM
    • 419 Posts
    • 1,523 Thanks
    lucyhope
    I made one up last week and the fruit was fine, I'm sure it'll be ok for a long time yet.
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 28
    2018 total £1520

• mandragora
    • By mandragora 17th Jun 12, 4:16 PM
    • 2,561 Posts
    • 4,758 Thanks
    mandragora
    I've got two in the cupboard (bought when the price dropped to £2 a time - used one already, last Christmas). I'm planning on Christmas 2012 and Christmas 2013 for the other two. Everything's sealed in plastic. They'll be fine!!
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 17th Jun 12, 4:25 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    I've got two in the cupboard (bought when the price dropped to £2 a time - used one already, last Christmas). I'm planning on Christmas 2012 and Christmas 2013 for the other two. Everything's sealed in plastic. They'll be fine!!
    Originally posted by mandragora
    I can't remember if they have chopped almonds - they may need replacing though
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

332Posts Today

6,013Users online

Martin's Twitter