Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mumto2
    • By Mumto2 29th Nov 11, 11:28 AM
    • 1,344Posts
    • 1,669Thanks
    Mumto2
    Mary Berry Christmas Cake Mix - Tesco's - NOW 2!!
    • 29th Nov 11, 11:28 AM
    Mary Berry Christmas Cake Mix - Tesco's - NOW 2!! 29th Nov 11 at 11:28 AM
    As title says, these are now half price in Tesco's.
    Includes most things you need to make the cake (need to add egg, butter), bargain as it costs nearly that to get the marzipan & icing.
    Also had the Christmas cupcake kits for 2.50 although not as many as these.

ETA - lots of people still buying these & reporting it's on until 2nd Jan - excellent!!
    Last edited by Mumto2; 07-12-2011 at 8:29 PM.
    Now proud Mumto3
Page 28
    • Miss Laid
    • By Miss Laid 26th Dec 11, 6:01 PM
    • 6,202 Posts
    • 144,031 Thanks
    Miss Laid
    I am going to make another 1 and leave it for a while to mature as I found this one to be a little bit *light* for my tastes I like a really rich fruit cake, but for the price its amazing the 7 I have will be made into celebration cakes during the year
    Anyone can cuddle but only the Welsh can cwtch
    • mandragora
    • By mandragora 26th Dec 11, 10:57 PM
    • 2,561 Posts
    • 4,758 Thanks
    mandragora
    I've bought another pack today, I am going to make one for Easter Sunday (we usually have a few round) and put little chicks and easter decs on it.
    Originally posted by izzeyb

Don't bother with the icing stage. Get or make an extra little bit of marzipan - you could use the icing sugar in the pack and just buy in additional ground almonds - add 11 small balls of marzipan to the top (one to represent each disciple except Judas), brown the top slightly under a grill, and you have a traditional Easter simnel cake!

http://www.yours.co.uk/upload/2735/images/simnel-cake.jpg
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • anguk
    Has anyone got a cupcake pack that they haven't used yet? I made the cakes and they were delicious, everyone who has tried one has asked for the recipe.

I was wondering if someone could weigh the bagged ingredients and I could try to make some from scratch?
    Dum Spiro Spero
    • dharm11
    • By dharm11 27th Dec 11, 1:29 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    dharm11
    Has anyone got a cupcake pack that they haven't used yet? I made the cakes and they were delicious, everyone who has tried one has asked for the recipe.

I was wondering if someone could weigh the bagged ingredients and I could try to make some from scratch?
    Originally posted by anguk

This is just a guess but i am sure it's not far from the actual measurements;

180g Brown sugar
    220g Self raising flour
    300g Dried fruit mix
    150g Icing sugar
    40ml Brandy

850g in total

oh and the 3 eggs, orange and 250g of unsalted butter!
    • wishicouldaffordit
    • By wishicouldaffordit 27th Dec 11, 2:55 PM
    • 325 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    wishicouldaffordit
    This is just a guess but i am sure it's not far from the actual measurements;

180g Brown sugar
    220g Self raising flour
    300g Dried fruit mix
    150g Icing sugar
    40ml Brandy

850g in total

oh and the 3 eggs, orange and 250g of unsalted butter!
    Originally posted by dharm11
    and don't forget the spices - about 2 tsp of mixed spice I reckon?
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 27th Dec 11, 4:27 PM
    • 9,832 Posts
    • 24,106 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    doesn't it give the weight on the instruction leaflet? I'm certain it does for the large cake
    know thyself

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
    • Welsh Poppy
    • By Welsh Poppy 28th Dec 11, 8:47 AM
    • 980 Posts
    • 5,912 Thanks
    Welsh Poppy
    Does anyone have recipe for cupcakes I had link on desktop but Hubby mangled computer and it is lost.
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January 150/175
    Feb 150/
    • Welsh Poppy
    • By Welsh Poppy 28th Dec 11, 8:50 AM
    • 980 Posts
    • 5,912 Thanks
    Welsh Poppy
    http://www.tescorealfood.com/Media/docs/Mary-Berrys-Spiced-Christmas-Cupcakes-13944fee-1671-4c43-8c2b-9a9227ac81c2-0.pdf

found it
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January 150/175
    Feb 150/
    • Anic
    • By Anic 28th Dec 11, 8:57 PM
    • 839 Posts
    • 1,299 Thanks
    Anic
    I popped into our local tesco in Maryhill, Glasgow today and they still have about 5 big shelves full of the christmas cake kits at 2 each. No cupcake ones though
    • cooking-mama
    • By cooking-mama 28th Dec 11, 9:44 PM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 2,392 Thanks
    cooking-mama
    Tesco in Wishaw still had a full shelf of these 2 christmas cake kits yesterday.
    Slimming World..Wk1,..STS,..Wk2,..-2LB,..Wk3,..-3.5lb,..Wk4,..-2.5,..Wk5,..-1/2lb,Wk6,..STS,..Wk7,..-1lb.
    Week 10,total weightloss is now 13.5lbs Week 11 STSweek 14(I think)..-2, total loss now 1 stone exactly
    GOT TO TARGET..1/2lb under now weigh 10st 6.5(lost 1st 3.5lbs)
    • ms_night_ryder
    • By ms_night_ryder 29th Dec 11, 2:42 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 11,582 Thanks
    ms_night_ryder
    Why has this been put in the gone section? I have just picked up 4 of the cupcake packs at 50p per packet 1 for me, the rest for family members who were impressed when I made them and told them it was 1
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-264/ new pot 2013
    • LilacLillie
    • By LilacLillie 30th Dec 11, 1:29 PM
    • 2,896 Posts
    • 10,245 Thanks
    LilacLillie
    Tesco: Mary Berry cake mix, reduced further.
    Just back from Tesco where the Mary Berry cake mix has now been further reduced to only 1!
    Loads left in my store.
    LL
    We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

---------------------------------------------------
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 30th Dec 11, 1:49 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    I keep reading the posts about this, but never actually seen it in Mr T.....until today!! They also had a cupcake version for 50p.
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - 46.73 / 100.00
    • izzeyb
    • By izzeyb 30th Dec 11, 1:58 PM
    • 4,927 Posts
    • 94,659 Thanks
    izzeyb
    The icing and marzipan in this are worth 2! Great if you are planning a cake for Easter.
  • charlottes web
    The cupcakes were lovely I bought some of the mix reduced before xmas and it made 12 huge cupcakes .I just had to add butter and eggs and an orange.
  • Pegjes44
    The cupcakes were lovely I bought some of the mix reduced before xmas and it made 12 huge cupcakes .I just had to add butter and eggs and an orange.
    Originally posted by charlottes web
    I also done the Cupcakes over Xmas and everybody loved them
    • Ellie_B
    • By Ellie_B 30th Dec 11, 2:44 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    Ellie_B
    If I got the fruit cake and made it, and kept feeding it, would it keep?
    Married 23rd June 2012
    Trying to pay off some capital on our mortgage & save some pennies for our future

Sealed pot challenges started 08/10/13!
    Sealed Pot #1434
    Virtual Sealed Pot #110
  • WarriorPrincess
    Both cake & cupcakes worked like a dream for me. The cupcakes just seemed to vanish - in preference to all sorts of shop-bought things. And someone thought my Mary Berry Xmas cake had been bought in M&S

I'm half thinking of going to see if there are any more cupcake mixes in my Tesco ... & I've already got 5 packs stashed in our cellar!
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 30th Dec 11, 3:15 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    We made the cupcakes on Christmas day. They were very tasty. A great buy for 1. Even better at 50p!
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
  • funnybun69
    I got the Christmas Cake mix on Christmas eve reduced to 2. It was really lovely.
    The right man is the one who seizes the moment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,273Posts Today

7,817Users online

Martin's Twitter