Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 5th Oct 10, 9:09 AM
    • 1,242Posts
    • 3,573Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    Cheap Train Fares guide discussion
    • 5th Oct 10, 9:09 AM
    Cheap Train Fares guide discussion 5th Oct 10 at 9:09 AM

Hi, we've written a Cheap Trains guide to help you play the train ticket system with hidden tricks. You can also check out the latest travel offers, vouchers and discounts on our Cheap Train & Coach Deals page.

If you've tried the techniques mentioned in the guide, were you successful? How much did you save? Is there anything you'd add?

Thanks for your help

MSE Jenny
    Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 08-03-2013 at 1:11 PM.
Page 4
    • Livingthedream
    • By Livingthedream 26th Nov 10, 1:05 PM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 3,489 Thanks
    Livingthedream
    Hi all,

I know I've left this really really late, but my girlfriend and I are travelling from Liverpool to Penzance for Christmas. We want to go on Thursday 23rd, returning on Tuesday 28th. Any cheap tickets out there, or wll we have to pay the full 270?

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by Steve83
    Ouch, just had a quick look and it isn't good, but by chance are you and your girlfriend between 16-25 is so then it would be beneficial for you to get a some 16-25 railcards, use this link for a 10% discount (23.40) get 2 of them and it brings your fare down to 177.

Edit: Found this; price without any railcard discount and from East Coast Website;

Liverpool LS to Penzance 'Avoid Birmingham New St' Dec 23rd 08.04 arrive 17.12 Advance single 94
    Penzance to Liverpool LS 'Avoid Birmingham New St' Dec 28th 10:46 arrive 20.19 Advance single 94

Total Return 188 for the both of you,can be cheaper if you had a railcard. To get the 'avoid Birmingham NS' on the East Coast Website select 'more options' 'avoid' and the type 'Birmingham New St' and remember you must travel on booked trains.
    Last edited by Livingthedream; 26-11-2010 at 1:27 PM. Reason: added a cheap journey
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 26th Nov 10, 1:23 PM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    I can see 51.50 singles (each, each way) on both days - or 34 with a railcard. The return train doesn't get into L'pool until after midnight though
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 26th Nov 10, 1:25 PM
    • 18,661 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Hi all,

I know I've left this really really late, but my girlfriend and I are travelling from Liverpool to Penzance for Christmas. We want to go on Thursday 23rd, returning on Tuesday 28th. Any cheap tickets out there, or wll we have to pay the full 270?

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by Steve83
    Try splitting at Birmingham and Exeter.

Liverpool Lime Street to Birmingham New Street...
    Advance Singles are available both ways for 9.00 per person each way.

Birmingham NS to Exeter St Davids...
    Advance Singles are available both ways for 27.50 per person each way.

Exeter StD to Penzance...
    Advance Singles are available both ways for 6.00 per person each way.

So total for two adults return might be as low as 170.
    So a 100 saving just for asking the question.

All that depends on your exact times of travel.

Remember, with Advance Singles you must travel on the booked trains.

Info from Southern Railway.

Editted to add:
    Having looked at times, the above may not be physically possible.

How about:
    Advance Single Liverpool LS to London Euston at 11.00 per person each way via London Midland Trains only.
    Combined with a Super Off Peak Return London Paddington to Penzance at 82.60.
    Cross London travel =4 each, each way.

Total = 225.20 for two return.
    Last edited by wealdroam; 26-11-2010 at 4:02 PM.
  • Steve83
    Thanks everyone, journey now booked.

In the end it cost us 188 - the one you suggested Livingthedream. So a saving of 80 which isn't bad considering how near we are
  • Cletus1970
    Dover Priory-Manchester Piccadilly
    I am booked on the following trains Saturday 8th January:-

07.45 Dover Priory - Victoria, then 10.20 Euston to Manchester Piccadilly.

Returning 18.55 Manchester Piccadilly - Euston, then 22.12 St Pancras - Dover Priory.

So, my basic question is, would I be able to get on the 08.44 Dover Priory - St Pancras to save time without having to pay extra??
    Is there any way ticket inspectors can tell from the information on the ticket?

My outward ticket states: Route - +VWC & connections. Validity - Booked train only.
    My return ticket states: Route - +VWC & connections. Validity - as advertised
    Neither ticket mentions whether on High Speed service or not.
  • Cletus1970
    If it says 'booked train only' then no, you have to get the specific train you paid for. Doesn't your ticket actually state the time and route on?
    Originally posted by thriftymanc
    Only for the Euston-Manchester seat reservations.

That's my reasoning that I could get on any train out of Dover Priory because there's no specific train mentioned on that part of the journey.
  • Cletus1970
    No, I have 2 tickets, it only says Dover Priory to Manchester Stns and vice versa, plus the other info on my original posting. No mention of which way into London.
    • thriftymanc
    • By thriftymanc 12th Dec 10, 3:13 PM
    • 735 Posts
    • 1,800 Thanks
    thriftymanc
    No, I have 2 tickets, it only says Dover Priory to Manchester Stns and vice versa, plus the other info on my original posting. No mention of which way into London.
    Originally posted by Cletus1970
    In that case I would say that you would be able to get the faster train. It does seem quite unusual that there's no information on your first journey whatsoever. Normally if I book a journey that has two legs, I'll get a ticket for each part that states the start and end station and the time the train departs - if either leg has a reserved seat, I'll also get a separate reservation ticket. I've never had a ticket that simply states where to start without stating the starting time. I hope someone else on here can confirm - but as I say, if it doesn't give a time there's no way the conductor can know that you're not on the exact train booked.
  • chrissy21
    Anyone any idea on cheap ideas on trains from Bolton to Edinburgh? Thanks :-)
    • Livingthedream
    • By Livingthedream 15th Dec 10, 12:36 PM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 3,489 Thanks
    Livingthedream
    Anyone any idea on cheap ideas on trains from Bolton to Edinburgh? Thanks :-)
    Originally posted by chrissy21
    Couple of Ideas;
    1. Book well in Advance and get those cheap advance single tickets.
    2. Look at the Transpennine Express Website as they sometimes have offers on.
    3. Go Via 'Glasgow Central' or 'York', on the East Coast website Search engine click 'more options' then 'via'.
    4. Or if possible, post your journey details on the forum ie dates, perferred times and number of passengers and I'm sure somebody on the forum will help you.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 16th Dec 10, 2:45 PM
    • 18,661 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    If you are intent on avoiding fees, then avoid all the third party ticket sellers like raileasy and thetrainline.
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    "If you are intent on avoiding fees, then avoid all the third party ticket sellers like raileasy and thetrainline."

For a limited time there are no card charges or booking fees when you book with raileasy please go to the raileasy website and add /nofees to the URL
    Originally posted by Raileasy
    Raileasy, when I made that post in mid November it was good advice.

It still is good advice.

So Raileasy are, for a limited time, removing fees.

A step in the right direction of course, thanks.

By the way, have you seen this information?...
    If you're a company/business and think you have a genuinely good deal worth letting our site users know about then please email the Forum Team on abuse@moneysavingexpert.com. Do not post on the Forum. If appropriate the Forum Team will forward your email to the MSE Team and it will be considered.
  • sirmarcus
    Hi all,

I can get advanced tickets via the internet for one half of my journey to London.

I have 15 in train rail travel vouchers, which I intend to use for the 2nd half of my trip to the Kent coast. Does anyone know whether I can use these vouchers to buy my 2nd-half ticket at my starting departure point rather than queue at Victoria London ?

Any advise would be welcome.
    • Livingthedream
    • By Livingthedream 20th Dec 10, 6:44 PM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 3,489 Thanks
    Livingthedream
    Hi all,

I can get advanced tickets via the internet for one half of my journey to London.

I have 15 in train rail travel vouchers, which I intend to use for the 2nd half of my trip to the Kent coast. Does anyone know whether I can use these vouchers to buy my 2nd-half ticket at my starting departure point rather than queue at Victoria London ?

Any advise would be welcome.
    Originally posted by sirmarcus
    You can buy advance ticket from any manned railway station doesn't have to be the start or end destinations either.
  • sirmarcus
    You can buy advance ticket from any manned railway station doesn't have to be the start or end destinations either.
    Originally posted by Livingthedream

No probs with the the advanced tickets for the 1st half of my journey.

My queston was 'I have 15 in train rail travel vouchers, which I intend to use for the 2nd half of my trip to the Kent coast. Does anyone know whether I can use these vouchers to buy my 2nd-half ticket at my starting departure point rather than queue at Victoria London ?'.

Hope that this clarifies.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 20th Dec 10, 11:39 PM
    • 18,661 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    No probs with the the advanced tickets for the 1st half of my journey.

My queston was 'I have 15 in train rail travel vouchers, which I intend to use for the 2nd half of my trip to the Kent coast. Does anyone know whether I can use these vouchers to buy my 2nd-half ticket at my starting departure point rather than queue at Victoria London ?'.

Originally posted by sirmarcus
    No, it does not clarify anything.
    All you have done is repeat the exact same question.

You can buy any railway ticket between any two stations from any manned station in the country.

In this context 'country' means England, Scotland and Wales.

Whether the vouchers can be used depends on who issued them and on whether there are any restrictions on who can redeem them.

Last edited by wealdroam; 20-12-2010 at 11:44 PM.
    • stephenliverpool1
    • By stephenliverpool1 30th Dec 10, 7:33 PM
    • 1,174 Posts
    • 920 Thanks
    stephenliverpool1
    I have a few queries below :

1. One of my friends bought two rail tickets from Poole railway station; one travelling from Clapham Junction-to-London Victoria and another travelling from London Victoria-to-Broadstairs. She already had an advanced ticket from Poole to Clapham Junction.

2. The train coach, which she was in had no heating between Poole-to-Clapham Junction, and, as a consequence, she developed a chill that meant she couldn't complete her journey and she had to return home to Poole.

3. Due to the above, I assume that she can claim a refund for her unused tickets for Clapham-to-Victoria and Victoria-to-Broadstairs ? If so, who does she claim the money from ? Is is the South-west train station at Poole ?

4. Can she claim money back for the unheated carriage ?

Any advise would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 30th Dec 10, 8:34 PM
    • 18,661 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    I have a few queries below :

1. One of my friends bought two rail tickets from Poole railway station; one travelling from Clapham Junction-to-London Victoria and another travelling from London Victoria-to-Broadstairs. She already had an advanced ticket from Poole to Clapham Junction.

2. The train coach, which she was in had no heating between Poole-to-Clapham Junction, and, as a consequence, she developed a chill that meant she couldn't complete her journey and she had to return home to Poole.

3. Due to the above, I assume that she can claim a refund for her unused tickets for Clapham-to-Victoria and Victoria-to-Broadstairs ? If so, who does she claim the money from ? Is is the South-west train station at Poole ?

4. Can she claim money back for the unheated carriage ?

Any advise would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by stephenliverpool1
    I think you'll find that there is no obligation for any railway company to provide heat in a carriage.

Did she get to Clapham Junc before deciding to return home? If so, then the Advance ticket has been fully used, hasn't it?

Your friend made the choice to travel no further.
    The railway companies provided their part of the bargain.

Sorry, I don't understand why anyone should refund anything.

P.s. just wondering...
    Why did your friend not move to a coach which did have heating?
    It couldn't be because her reserved seat was in a particular carriage, because SWT don't do seat reservations.
    Also, boarding at Poole, it is most unlikely that the train was so full that she couldn't move.
    Last edited by wealdroam; 30-12-2010 at 8:44 PM.
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 30th Dec 10, 9:20 PM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    The unused tickets (which I assume were walkon tickets as advance tickets don't exist on those routes ) can probably be refunded - ask at Poole station. There will be a 10 admin fee which will mean the CJ-Vic one won't result in anything.

A complaint to SW Trains about the heating might result in a travel voucher for a small amount
    • Broadstone
    • By Broadstone 2nd Jan 11, 4:20 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Broadstone
    Thank goodness for the continued incompetence from our rail companies !!

Due to the adverse weather, I (and my family) was forced to use our poor railway system to visit family over Xmas and New Year rather than go via car.

We got six sets of rail tickets for our outward and return journeys. None of these tickets were stamped, clipped or collected from us by any rail inspector. I now intend to claim that these tickets have never been used and to reclaim a refund accordingly. I did exactly the same last year without any probs.

I'm also hopeful that I will be given train vouchers as compensation with regards the poor quality of one of our rail carriages.

This means that my overall rail costs will be very small and will be slightly cheaper than by travelling by car; although car will always be my preferance due to it's convenience and comfort compared with trains.

I just hope the rail companies keep up with their incompetence in the event that I need to use them again.
    Last edited by Broadstone; 02-01-2011 at 6:56 PM.
  • geordie_taxi
    Thank goodness for the continued incompetence from our rail companies !!

Due to the adverse weather, I (and my family) was forced to use our poor railway system to visit family over Xmas and New Year rather than go via car.

We got sixs set of rail tickets for our outward and return journeys. None of these tickets were stamped, clipped or collected from us by any rail inspector. I now intend to claim that these tickets have never been used and to reclaim a refund accordingly. I did exactly the same last year without any probs.

I'm also hopeful that I will be given train vouchers as compensation with regards the poor quality of one of our rail carriages.

This means that my overall rail costs will be very small and will be slightly cheaper than by travelling by car; although car will always be my preferance due to it's convenience and comfort compared with trains.

I just hope the rail companies keep up with their incompetence in the event that I need to use them again.
    Originally posted by Broadstone
    yes indead wot with the bad weather and the odd train strike aswell ive sent most of my tickets back for a compensation claim too. should pay for my train ticket for my summer holidays. nevermind one companys incompentence is a silverlining for sombody else
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,403Posts Today

7,861Users online

Martin's Twitter