Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 5th Oct 10, 9:09 AM
    • 1,242Posts
    • 3,573Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    Cheap Train Fares guide discussion
    • 5th Oct 10, 9:09 AM
    Cheap Train Fares guide discussion 5th Oct 10 at 9:09 AM

Hi, we've written a Cheap Trains guide to help you play the train ticket system with hidden tricks. You can also check out the latest travel offers, vouchers and discounts on our Cheap Train & Coach Deals page.

If you've tried the techniques mentioned in the guide, were you successful? How much did you save? Is there anything you'd add?

Thanks for your help

MSE Jenny
    Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 08-03-2013 at 1:11 PM.
Page 3
    • geordieracer
    • By geordieracer 15th Nov 10, 3:27 PM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 1,908 Thanks
    geordieracer
    Hi,
    I am trying to calculate whether it is cheaper to get an annual season ticket vs a return ticket each day.

I have looked on the National Rail Enquiries Season Ticket calculator and it shows that 6,656.00 (with underground) or 6,280.00 (without underground) using any network. (I only need to use Virgin Trains).

I have a 16-25 railcard and I am unsure how much a return ticket is?? (Especially with offpeak etc)

I will be commuting 5 days per week.

From 7am in the morning until 6pm in the evening.

As for the tube I will be getting the tube from Euston to Bond Street(3 stations) so is it cheaper to get an oyster card?

Can anyone advise me?
    Thanks
    Chris
    Originally posted by chrscnvry
    Your timings mean you will be travelling in peak times and at times when the railcard is not valid.
    one of the famous 5
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 15th Nov 10, 3:38 PM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    Your timings mean you will be travelling in peak times and at times when the railcard is not valid.
    Originally posted by geordieracer
    I though Virgin accepted railcards at any time on their own trains?? Or is that only some railcards?

An Oyster - either tube or bus - is likely to be cheaper than an inclusive ticket as long as you don't make extra journeys in London
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 15th Nov 10, 3:41 PM
    • 18,661 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Hi,
    I am trying to calculate whether it is cheaper to get an annual season ticket vs a return ticket each day.

I have looked on the National Rail Enquiries Season Ticket calculator and it shows that 6,656.00 (with underground) or 6,280.00 (without underground) using any network. (I only need to use Virgin Trains).

I have a 16-25 railcard and I am unsure how much a return ticket is?? (Especially with offpeak etc)

I will be commuting 5 days per week.

From 7am in the morning until 6pm in the evening.

As for the tube I will be getting the tube from Euston to Bond Street(3 stations) so is it cheaper to get an oyster card?

Can anyone advise me?
    Thanks
    Chris
    Originally posted by chrscnvry
    As you have a railcard, VirginTrains will allow you to travel during peak times using an off peak ticket.
    So an Off Peak Return from Rugby to Euston with railcard costs 22.30 and can be used on any train.

That should help with your sums.

Don't forget there is likely to be large fare increases in January. If you buy a season ticket before then, of course you'll get this year's prices. But buying walkup tickets is a different matter.

To expand on that...
    Assume travelling five days a week = 110 approx.
    Even at fifty weeks, that's only 5500. But remember the fare increases due.
    Last edited by wealdroam; 15-11-2010 at 3:46 PM.
  • chrscnvry
    Hi thanks for your replys - I contacted Virgin who said:

Yes you can use the 22.30 fare on the 07:29 service with a valid Railcard, which must be produced when travelling on the services stated otherwise the ticket is will not be valid.

This means that

52 weeks per year x 5 days in a week = 260 days
    -8 Bank hols
    -25 holidays
    227Working Days

Open Return 22.30 x 227 = 5062.10

Oyster Card:

Euston to Bond Street - 1.80
    Bond Street to Euston - 1.80

3.60 x 227 working days = 817.20
    Open Return 22.30 x 227 = 5062.10 +
    So is this cheaper than a season ticket? I know prices will increase in January but is it still going to be cheaper?

Thanks
  • fieldsof
    booking fee rip off
    is it better to go through national rail and book direct with the train company, ie londonmidland, as i find they dont charge you booking fees unlike the trainline etc

or are we better sticking to the likes of the trainline, tp express etc
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 16th Nov 10, 12:01 AM
    • 18,661 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    is it better to go through national rail and book direct with the train company, ie londonmidland, as i find they dont charge you booking fees unlike the trainline etc

or are we better sticking to the likes of the trainline, tp express etc
    Originally posted by fieldsof
    If you are intent on avoiding fees, then avoid all the third party ticket sellers like raileasy and thetrainline.

Stick instead to one of the train operating companies.

However, having said that, East Coast Trains have recently started charging a postage fee.
    There maybe others, so check.
    • jj151201
    • By jj151201 17th Nov 10, 7:22 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    jj151201
    Hmmmm???
    Now been an avid MSE i have read all the info on cheap train tickets, but what I cant seem to find any info on is, why when you initially start looking at prices ie 1 adult, but, then when you change it for 4 adults the price per person shoots right up...this is my example....

We are going from Hull to Cardiff for the Millenium Magic Weekend, (admittedly our prices are not yet up for our weekend, we go 12/2/11)....so what i am doing is (5/2/11) Hull to Manchester Piccadilly 9.50pp or 26.80 for 4 adults 1 child with FFRailcard, so we saved on that one, but then Manchester Piccadilly to Cardiff Central 26.80pp or 152.25 for 4 adults 1 child with FFRailcard, making it 142 for 4 adults and 10.25 for child, or 1 adult 32 with 1 child 16....48??

We have definately got the cheapest fare from Hull on the saturday and unfortunately we can only travel on the 9:30am from manchester to be in Cardiff in time for our rugby game.
    We also have a disabled passenger with wife, an OAP and another adult equalling 9 of us altogether, Im tearing my hair out slightly atm but need to know what Im doing before the dates are released.

Haven't even started looking at the return for the Monday yet

Iam seriously grateful in anticipation for any help or advice offered
    • yorkie2
    • By yorkie2 17th Nov 10, 10:33 PM
    • 1,384 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    yorkie2
    However, having said that, East Coast Trains have recently started charging a postage fee.
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    True, but only if you start your journey at a station that has collection facilities. If starting at York, I can avoid this by buying from Poppleton!

Another way round it is to get a Devenport (DPT)- Dockyard (DOC) child CDS at 35p in your basket, make sure the date for this ticket is BEFORE the date of your journey. Postage will then be free, rather than 1. Total saving 65p (but, hey, it's the principle that counts!) this is worth it if you are travelling on East Coast using an Advance ticket that is 10% off, when booked on their website.

Otherwise, as you say, use London Midland!
    • yorkie2
    • By yorkie2 17th Nov 10, 10:41 PM
    • 1,384 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    yorkie2

We are going from Hull to Cardiff for the Millenium Magic Weekend, (admittedly our prices are not yet up for our weekend, we go 12/2/11)....
    Originally posted by jj151201
    See http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/booking_horizons.html to determine the date the relevant companies are selling Advance tickets (and reservations) for.
    so what i am doing is (5/2/11) Hull to Manchester Piccadilly 9.50pp or 26.80 for 4 adults 1 child with FFRailcard, so we saved on that one, but then Manchester Piccadilly to Cardiff Central 26.80pp or 152.25 for 4 adults 1 child with FFRailcard, making it 142 for 4 adults and 10.25 for child, or 1 adult 32 with 1 child 16....48??
    ATW do GroupSave on some routes. It is worth checking a thetrainline powered site (TransPennine Express should do, with no fees) to see if GroupSave is available (4 adults for the price of 2 for an Off Peak Return). GroupSave may not be available for a Manchester-Cardiff ticket but if you split tickets, it might be.
    We have definately got the cheapest fare from Hull on the saturday and unfortunately we can only travel on the 9:30am from manchester to be in Cardiff in time for our rugby game.
    We also have a disabled passenger with wife, an OAP and another adult equalling 9 of us altogether, Im tearing my hair out slightly atm but need to know what Im doing before the dates are released.
    If the OAP has a Senior Railcard, they get 1/3 off, but if not then they can get money off with the F&F railcard anyway (up to 4 adults can - 2 named adults + 2 random ones!). Also a Disabled holder can take one adult on their railcard.

Hope the above advice is useful but if you need further advice you could try http://fares.railforums.co.uk/
    • geordieracer
    • By geordieracer 17th Nov 10, 10:42 PM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 1,908 Thanks
    geordieracer
    Now been an avid MSE i have read all the info on cheap train tickets, but what I cant seem to find any info on is, why when you initially start looking at prices ie 1 adult, but, then when you change it for 4 adults the price per person shoots right up...this is my example....

We are going from Hull to Cardiff for the Millenium Magic Weekend, (admittedly our prices are not yet up for our weekend, we go 12/2/11)....so what i am doing is (5/2/11) Hull to Manchester Piccadilly 9.50pp or 26.80 for 4 adults 1 child with FFRailcard, so we saved on that one, but then Manchester Piccadilly to Cardiff Central 26.80pp or 152.25 for 4 adults 1 child with FFRailcard, making it 142 for 4 adults and 10.25 for child, or 1 adult 32 with 1 child 16....48??

maybe try looking 12 weeks before you want to travel as thats when the cheap ones will be released
    one of the famous 5
    • rich_shot2003
    • By rich_shot2003 18th Nov 10, 12:51 AM
    • 1,994 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    rich_shot2003
    Help with fares from Macclesfield to Newcastle please
    I would like fares as cheap as possible please from Macclesfield to Newcastle on Tuesday 23rd Nov and back on Thursday 25th Nov please.

It is for 1 Adult and 1 child with a family railcard and need to be in Newcastle for around 2.30pm and would like to leave Newcastle around 11am on the 25th please.
    • yorkie2
    • By yorkie2 18th Nov 10, 7:22 AM
    • 1,384 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    yorkie2
    I would like fares as cheap as possible please from Macclesfield to Newcastle on Tuesday 23rd Nov and back on Thursday 25th Nov please.

It is for 1 Adult and 1 child with a family railcard and need to be in Newcastle for around 2.30pm and would like to leave Newcastle around 11am on the 25th please.
    Originally posted by rich_shot2003
    A Virgin Trains-only off peak day single from Macclesfield to Manchester is 3. Combine these with an Advance ticket from Manchester to Newcastle.

But if the price from Manchester to Newcastle looks a bit steep, check the fare from Manchester - York & York - Newcastle, there may be a saving there.
    • ceebeeby
    • By ceebeeby 19th Nov 10, 8:34 AM
    • 4,237 Posts
    • 10,773 Thanks
    ceebeeby
    BIG SUCCESS!!!!

Thanks entirely to your guidance and "keep me rights" - I've just bought the tickets from Glasgow to London for a family of four for 28!!! A massive saving of over 200 on the original quote.

WOW!

Need to go and find a good deal on a railcard now.

Thank you to everyone for your guidance - it is enormously appreciated!
  • wilbury4
    Family and Friends Railcard
    Hi all,
    Just joined, this is my first post.
    I'm seeking a little advise.
    The wife and I are travelling to Glasgow for a festive break. Upon checking times and prices I worked out that if a child was travelling with us and I obtained a Family and Friends Railcard that the fare is reduced by over 40.
    My question is; Can I get a Family and Friends Railcard, reserve seats for two adults and a child, then just me and the wife travel?
    Last edited by wilbury4; 24-11-2010 at 6:03 PM. Reason: Want to add something
    • Livingthedream
    • By Livingthedream 24th Nov 10, 6:11 PM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 3,489 Thanks
    Livingthedream
    My question is; Can I get a Family and Friends Railcard, reserve seats for two adults and a child, then just me and the wife travel?
    Originally posted by wilbury4
    Welcome to the forum, however to answer your question, No, if you use a Family and Friends Railcard, you must travel with at least one child to validate your discounted tickets, else your discounted tickets become invalid and you then have to pay the full undiscounted single ticket for your journey.

Sorry
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • wilbury4
    Welcome to the forum, however to answer your question, No, if you use a Family and Friends Railcard, you must travel with at least one child to validate your discounted tickets, else your discounted tickets become invalid and you then have to pay the full undiscounted single ticket for your journey.

Sorry
    Originally posted by Livingthedream
    Thanks Livingthedream,
    I was simply trying to seek the cheapest way to travel, and a railcard was the answer. We don't fall into any other category of railcard, too old for the 16-25, too young for the senior .
    Seems a silly situation where three people can travel cheaper than two.
    Cheers.
    • Livingthedream
    • By Livingthedream 25th Nov 10, 9:16 AM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 3,489 Thanks
    Livingthedream
    I was simply trying to seek the cheapest way to travel,Cheers.
    Hi wilbury4, perhaps somebody on the forum could help find you a cheaper fare, I know your travelling to Glasgow and there's 2 of you. But if you let us know from where? and some dates? and if your not to fussed with time of trains?
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
    • geordieracer
    • By geordieracer 25th Nov 10, 9:30 AM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 1,908 Thanks
    geordieracer
    Hi all,
    Just joined, this is my first post.
    I'm seeking a little advise.
    The wife and I are travelling to Glasgow for a festive break. Upon checking times and prices I worked out that if a child was travelling with us and I obtained a Family and Friends Railcard that the fare is reduced by over 40.

you could get the price right down if you plan it properly. Dates times and so on .. This is the megatrain route map
    http://images.moneysavingexpert.com/images/MT_AmendedMap.gif

but I doubt you will find anything to suit you for all of the journey.But if you combine it with the virgin fare finder http://www.farefinder.virgintrains.co.uk/ you could really get a good price.. Ok it may take you all day to get there but if you want it cheap its still possible.even though it is close to christmas
    one of the famous 5
  • wilbury4
    Livingthedream/Geordieracer,
    Thanks a lot for the tips.
    Were travelling from Wigan to Glasgow for a New Year Break, leaving Wigan on the 30th Dec and returning on 2nd Jan. I have actually got the fare, for the two of us, down to a total of 57. That is leaving W at 08.38 and leaving G at 20.05 for our return. I don't think that is too bad!!
  • Steve83
    Hi all,

I know I've left this really really late, but my girlfriend and I are travelling from Liverpool to Penzance for Christmas. We want to go on Thursday 23rd, returning on Tuesday 28th. Any cheap tickets out there, or wll we have to pay the full 270?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,051Posts Today

7,127Users online

Martin's Twitter