Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 7th Sep 10, 2:10 PM
    • 1,242Posts
    • 3,573Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    1p finds at Tesco thread
    • 7th Sep 10, 2:10 PM
    1p finds at Tesco thread 7th Sep 10 at 2:10 PM
    31 January 2012

What's the deal?

We’ve had a host of reports from canny forumites that Tesco is selling a raft of items for just 1p. We originally highlighted this in Sept 2010 but have updated the post below with recent finds. Bargains currently on offer include Lindt balls, calendars & Xmas chocs.

If you're reading this thread in full, you'll need to go to the last pages to see the most recent bargains found

It's worth noting that with people flooding into stores, a few MoneySavers have not had a good reception from staff. It’s worth being aware of this.

Yet when we spoke to Tesco's press office (last Sept) and its official statement was "It’s not a systems error. These lines are discounted stock, they’ve been reduced to clear. The 1p stock is rare and won’t be available in each store."

So, while every store reserves the right not to sell stock if there is a genuine pricing error, in most of these cases they should sell it to you.

Current 1p spots, Jan 2012

Below are examples of forumites’ current 1p Tesco spots in store over the last few weeks (Jan 2012). In the past there have been many more 1p finds but we still thought it worth a mention still. Huge thanks for all their help.

Please press reply to add yours at the thread's end. Do include barcodes if you can, as that helps those without price-scan machines track bargains down.

Food
    • Lindt chocolate balls
    • Chocolate lollipops
    • Chocolate tree decorations
    • Advent calendars
    • Chocolate santas/reindeers

Want more - seen more?

Scan through the forum (the most recent posts are at the end, on the last page), to see what forumites have found - and please add your own by clicking reply.

How to find 'em

These hidden bargains are not marked as 1p on the shelves, but scan at 1p when you get to the tills.

The easiest way to check is to beep the barcodes on Tesco’s price-scan machines. Yet these are only available at certain stores, so the alternative’s to swipe the bits at the self-service checkouts or the till (if it's not 1p and you don't want it, just cancel).

Do remember that, while many 1p bargains been found in multiple shops, they do vary from store to store. This is a bit of fun, NOT a guaranteed deal.

For more tips and deals like this please get the

Free weekly MoneySaving e-mail

Is this legit?

The law on this is simple. If your items scan at 1p at the checkout, Tesco staff can reject the sale and tell you it can't be bought. However, if it accepts your money, the deal's done and the product is yours at that price – there is no comeback (unlike when this happens online).

Buying a few 1p bits as part of a normal shop will help. Yet march up to the counter with 10 umbrellas and 10 shampoos, and the cashier may not sell them to you for 20p.

BIG THANKS TO SILVERHAIRGRANNY & ALL FORUMITES WHO REPORTED 1p FINDS. (Please thank silverhairgranny below)

Don't miss another deal! Get MoneySavingExpert's Weekly Email
    It's full of new guides, tips, & loopholes; free & spam free
    Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 06-06-2012 at 4:48 PM.
Page 433
    • bodacious
    • By bodacious 27th Apr 13, 8:03 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    bodacious
    Flyingflea has already stated that they have given most of it away.
    I think some people are seeing the old Green Eyed Monster.
    Originally posted by madmuppet5
    rebeccaj has a point and I agree with her.

In fact look how many people have thanked her post (so obviously agree too) and how many have thanked yours (zero)

It's one of the seven deadly sins is greed. Further down the road people who display such a trait may regret doing so as what goes around often comes around.
    • wannasave
    • By wannasave 27th Apr 13, 8:05 AM
    • 659 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    wannasave
    What I also find distasteful is MSE condoning such avarice by publicising it in this manner and, no matter how much the greedy person tries to justify their actions to themself or the wider audience by saying they are giving it away, it is still avarice.
    Originally posted by rebeccaj
    well said
  • Wywth
    I did quite well

This lot cost me £2:

The Dairy Milks were from various WHSmiths
    Originally posted by flyingflea
    There's always someone who'll go and spoil it for others.
  • Wywth
    This is amazing - so much i've tweeted and facebooked your success
    Originally posted by MSE Martin
    Shame on you, Martin, for encouraging such actions.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 27th Apr 13, 12:55 PM
    • 9,602 Posts
    • 2,578 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    None in my local Tesco ...
    I even asked !!
  • chazmac
    This offer is no good and doesn't work went to our Tesco and My mother went to her local Tesco in Lancashire and the managers said they don't do stuff like this. How MSE can post a deal that doesn't exist is beyond me
  • lawstudent
    There were tens of boxes of the 1p chocolates in my store. The manager decided that she would take them all for herself (very generous). To top that off instead of actually paying however many pennies they would have cost she got them wasted on the system and took them home for free!!
    Graduated 16 July 2013 with First Class Honours

House Deposit: £6,493.10 - Cashback Total: £447.67
    • wendyak
    • By wendyak 27th Apr 13, 4:57 PM
    • 2,592 Posts
    • 39,209 Thanks
    wendyak
    There were tens of boxes of the 1p chocolates in my store. The manager decided that she would take them all for herself (very generous). To top that off instead of actually paying however many pennies they would have cost she got them wasted on the system and took them home for free!!
    Originally posted by lawstudent

This is not unusual, they often load them into their cars to "drop them off at a charity shop"..........
  • lawstudent
    This is not unusual, they often load them into their cars to "drop them off at a charity shop"..........
    Originally posted by wendyak
    She was definitely taking them home. I know because I was in fact the reluctant party who was forced to waste them all. Verging on dishonest IMO. I wouldn't mind so much if it was the case that they were being given to charity but she was taking them home for herself.

I took a picture of the waste slip and wrote on the top what she had done because I thought if there are any repercussions this is all gonna trace back to my log in.
    Graduated 16 July 2013 with First Class Honours

House Deposit: £6,493.10 - Cashback Total: £447.67
    • BIG MOC
    • By BIG MOC 27th Apr 13, 5:07 PM
    • 548 Posts
    • 7,806 Thanks
    BIG MOC
    This offer is no good and doesn't work went to our Tesco and My mother went to her local Tesco in Lancashire and the managers said they don't do stuff like this. How MSE can post a deal that doesn't exist is beyond me
    Originally posted by chazmac
    Clearly it does exist as others have posted their finds.
    Most of what goes to 1p are seasonal lines and are usually long gone by the time the price gets so low.
    The manager wasn't being entirely truthful as when items get to a penny it is usually across all stores.
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 27th Apr 13, 5:48 PM
    • 11,530 Posts
    • 61,647 Thanks
    edinburgher
    e was definitely taking them home. I know because I was in fact the reluctant party who was forced to waste them all. Verging on dishonest IMO
    I'd go further - it's just stealing.

Might just be 10p, but it's a blimmin' poor example to set.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 27th Apr 13, 6:16 PM
    • 6,446 Posts
    • 2,974 Thanks
    LeeUK
    She was definitely taking them home. I know because I was in fact the reluctant party who was forced to waste them all. Verging on dishonest IMO. I wouldn't mind so much if it was the case that they were being given to charity but she was taking them home for herself.

I took a picture of the waste slip and wrote on the top what she had done because I thought if there are any repercussions this is all gonna trace back to my log in.
    Originally posted by lawstudent
    Doesn't Tesco have a confidential "whistle blower" hotline for employees to report dodgyness?

Wasting stuff and taking it home is the same as taking stuff off the shelf and not paying.
  • Money-Saving-King
    Shame on you, Martin, for encouraging such actions.
    Originally posted by Wywth
    I know!

Martin should be ashamed of himself. He should rather than tweeting and posting on Facebook should have referred the poster to his Dental Insurance article! http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/dental-insurance
    • john539
    • By john539 28th Apr 13, 12:04 PM
    • 15,266 Posts
    • 10,868 Thanks
    john539
    Calm down people.

Each to their own.
    • john539
    • By john539 28th Apr 13, 12:09 PM
    • 15,266 Posts
    • 10,868 Thanks
    john539
    There's always someone who'll go and spoil it for others.
    Originally posted by Wywth
    Or maybe someone got there before manager/stores realised & refused to sell at that price.
    • Steve059
    • By Steve059 28th Apr 13, 6:08 PM
    • 2,336 Posts
    • 6,159 Thanks
    Steve059
    You know you're getting on a bit when ...

... when you can remember when chocolate bars cost a penny.

If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5?
    • redfox
    • By redfox 28th Apr 13, 9:59 PM
    • 14,291 Posts
    • 38,225 Thanks
    redfox
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: While it’s easy to wander off-topic that often prevents newbies finding the information they want quickly and easily (please see this rule). Please keep this thread on topic. If you’d like to discuss non-MoneySaving related topics please continue your discussion in The MoneySavers Arms or Discussion Time. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• rossk26
    • By rossk26 29th Apr 13, 7:04 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    rossk26
    Probably not worth the trip to my local Tesco now.

Someone probably bought the whole stock for £2...

...was looking forward to a 1p Toblerone to indulge on at the weekend
    • clairebear1328
    • By clairebear1328 29th Apr 13, 12:39 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 784 Thanks
    clairebear1328
    Flyingflea has already stated that they have given most of it away.
    I think some people are seeing the old Green Eyed Monster.
    Originally posted by madmuppet5
    If you are just gonna give it away what was the point in buying it? Buying 5 or 6 and donating some seems reasonable but 200 is another story. The whole point of the site and forums is to save money and help each other out, buying every single 1p chocolate you can find goes against this. Must admit this is my first post but felt so strongly I had to say something!
  • madmuppet5
    If you are just gonna give it away what was the point in buying it? Buying 5 or 6 and donating some seems reasonable but 200 is another story. The whole point of the site and forums is to save money and help each other out, buying every single 1p chocolate you can find goes against this. Must admit this is my first post but felt so strongly I had to say something!
    Originally posted by clairebear1328
    I would imagine gifts for family, friends and work colleagues. However, as they are now flyingflea's property they can do whatever they like with them
    On another note I'd love to have seen flyingflea go through the checkouts with that little stash
    AKA; Mad, MM, MM5, Madicles ©
    Shin: Device for finding furniture in the dark ©
    Elite 11+ fundraising total for Make-a-Wish £682
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

1,660Users online

Martin's Twitter