Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 3
  • jambosans
    i've just googled BISL after being confused by the same Direct Debit appearing in my online banking. Post Office mentioned earlier in thread rings a bell, I've just changed my Post Office home insurance payment details. My post office paper work says my policy is with Legal and General, so I can only assume BISL act as the payment conduit for many such insurance polices.
    Originally posted by loopholer
    BISL Ltd. are in effect the BGL Group Ltd.

The BGL Group trade under different names such as Budget and comparethemarket.com.

They provide insurance services to the Post Office (amongst others) under their partnerships division, Junction. In effect, these policies have been brokered in some shape or form by BISL.

Stab in the dark, BISL = Budget Insurance Services Limited.

Simples (no pun intended).
    Last edited by jambosans; 24-01-2010 at 11:11 PM.
    Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
    • xyz123
    • By xyz123 28th Jan 10, 2:33 PM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    xyz123
    Just checked my bank statement I have a direct debit for 25 from BISL BACS ACCOUNT, has anyone got a clue who they are think it may have been bank fraud???
    Originally posted by cheggers
    its amazing, how many people ask questions here on the forum rather than directly contacting their bank...banks should always be your first point of contact when you have a query regarding any payments on your account..if you wait even couple of hours for someone to give you a useful reply on the forum, someone can do even more fradulent activities on your account in that time....
    • maggiesden
    • By maggiesden 31st Jan 10, 7:37 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    maggiesden
    Just checked my bank statement I have a direct debit for 25 from BISL BACS ACCOUNT, has anyone got a clue who they are think it may have been bank fraud???
    Originally posted by cheggers
    I have a direct debit with BISL BACS ACCOUNT but it is for our IBUYECO car Insurance
  • jkgfrance
    BISL also act for HSBC Car Insurance
  • 5printst
    BISL and Barclays
    ...AND Barclays car insurance, I didn't know either who this firm was I was paying money to......

On the 25th of Feb I contacted Barclays (bisl !) about having my son's partner added to the insurance for a temporary period, ....charged me 25 admin and 10 for 5 days cover, .....when I needed to extend it they advised just adding him on at an extra 9 a month ( we already pay 21 a month) and cancelling whenever we want seemed reasonable and more cost effective. But he then got his new car with in a few weeks and we removed him from the cover on the 16th of March, I've just added up how much they have charged for all this... 25 original charge, 10 for original 5 days cover, 25 to have him removed from the insurance again, and my this months DD has gone from 21 to 37.40...

I also contacted them last week about requoting for another vehicle, ( we are replacing the on they currently cover) they wanted another 240 a year !! ludicrously high, when I asked why they were much cheaper buying Barclays insurance through Go Compare they said that was an internet price and if I applied for it I would be rejected because I was an existing customer and would have to pay the price they quoted. spoke to a supervisor , same story, When I said I would go elsewhere they said OK then that will be a 35 cancellation fee please !!!!

...Cowboys !!!!!
  • Brizzle_Dave
    Hi all, definitely Car Insurance for me via Post Office in our case.
    - Dave
  • cazziek321
    Bisl
    Call your bank; mine provided me with a the companies phone number and a reference to quote. They were very helpful and polite and confirmed the payment was for my Bradford and Bingley home insurance.
  • sieger
    Same here but Budget have taken over 2000 out!
  • coldstream
    Budget (BISL) call themselves an 'intermediary' who have an arrangement with a large panel of underwriters (eg Aviva, CIS, Fortis). These underwriters supply the insurance you buy from Budget, Dial direct, Post Office, M&S, HSBC, Quotemart, Autotrader, yes.co.uk, Halifax, Barclays, Lloyds TSB, Ibuyeco, Santander..... the list is endless. They are all in the brokering business and you will see them all on Compare the Meerkat and the like. The address for any of them is Pegasus House, Bakewell Road, Orton Southgate, Peterbrorough, PE2 6YS.
  • hornpipe
    Beware
    Beware all BISL cover companies, of which there are many and watch out for the so-called "comparison sites", at least one of these is controlled by BISL. I found them to be inflexible, discourteous and arrogant. Their call centres are manned by poorly trained robots with the all the customer care skills of a baboon.
    h
  • jambosans
    Beware all BISL cover companies,
    Originally posted by hornpipe
    "BISL" does not suggest they are underwriting your cover, they may have brokered the cover with another insurer, and provided the back office collection, etc. In fact, their website suggests they are purely a broker, so must provide the admin, i.e. Direct Debit paid to them, then settled with the insurance underwriter.

My previous post explains this clearly.

watch out for the so-called "comparison sites", at least one of these is controlled by BISL. I found them to be inflexible, discourteous and arrogant.
    Who are you actually talking about?

Compare The Market is the trading name for BISL's comparison website. They are an insurance broker, so they're in the business of getting quotes from different insurance companies. BGL Group's comparison service has nothing to do with their branded insurance services provided through their partnerships devision, Junction. Even MSE recommends them on the below page:-
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/compare-cheap-car-insurance#step2

Their call centres are manned by poorly trained robots with the all the customer care skills of a baboon.
    If Junction arranges branded insurance this does not necessarily suggest they provide the front end customer services. I'd imagine companies like M&S keep this in-house, or outsource to a 3rd party call centre operator, like Sitel.

If you have an ill-informed axe to grind, I suggest you use another board.
    Last edited by jambosans; 09-02-2011 at 8:42 PM.
    Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
  • jasonkenny
    It is legit
    I had the same, M&S insurance paying 33 per month and then all of a sudden a 25 DD. I had just changed my wifes car and remembered there was a 25 charge to swap it over.

Relief!
  • andblagg
    Same thing here have found it's our RAC car insurance.
  • TanyaT
    BISL - eh what's that????
    so looked here because it's a holiday and there's no one in the banks to ask - and have been helped!

Spouse will buy through these compare the market type places, but I end up sorting the statement wonderineg what the hell these payments are, and hanging up on sales calls
  • Noor786
    Bisl bcc bacs
    I have car insurance with the Co-op and that's their direct debit details. The 25 that they have taken out form your account is a admin fee; have you requested changes in your car insurance recently maybe?
  • blondie46
    I had a BISL BACS payment of 5 25 taken out of my account last week. I don't have a car!!! I was wondering if it could be my house insurance but I took that out in Feb, so payments should have been made before now ...
    • aje2010
    • By aje2010 9th Jan 12, 4:40 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    aje2010
    Bisl bacs account
    I found my relates to my Marks & Spencer car insurance
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 9th Jan 12, 6:16 PM
    • 26,114 Posts
    • 13,281 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Why add this to a post started in 2008?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Jan 12, 8:16 AM
    • 22,820 Posts
    • 18,841 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Dear me, the new year seems to have brought out the nutters!
  • prawle
    Bisl bacs account - fraudulant direct debits
    EVERYBODY - check your bank accounts REGULARLY! - We checked ours on Monday to find that someone had taken over 600.00 from it in 3 seperate transactions by direct debit the statement reads "BISL BACS ACCOUNT". If you see this on your statement and you do not recognise the payment, contact your bank who will give you the reference number(s) of the direct debits and then contact Budget Insurance on 08705 845074.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,869Posts Today

7,124Users online

Martin's Twitter