Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paddytt
    • By paddytt 30th May 06, 8:37 PM
    • 262Posts
    • 98Thanks
    paddytt
    Where to get a VISA Electron card?
    • 30th May 06, 8:37 PM
    Where to get a VISA Electron card? 30th May 06 at 8:37 PM
    Does anyone know where I can get a VISA Electron card?

It seems to be the only way to avoid extortionate credit/debit card charges on Ryanair.com - 14 on a 104 flight! That's over 13% in charges! Sorry but I refuse to pay them that much...

I notice that Barclays offer one, but only for 16 to 19 years olds. Do you think they are fussy about the age? I was 19 once...

regards

TT
Page 3
    • zulubabe
    • By zulubabe 28th Jul 08, 7:33 PM
    • 966 Posts
    • 3,867 Thanks
    zulubabe
    Just applied for a co-op one as its easy to just drop into a PO and put cash in - can't wait for it to come!
    2019 Wins: Feb: 10 Aldi Voucher, Frankie & Benny's meal for 2; May: Game from Maynards. June: 2x tickets to Foodies Festival July: 100 September: 30

Thanks those who post Comps
    • KILL BILL
    • By KILL BILL 29th Jul 08, 12:14 PM
    • 2,094 Posts
    • 1,285 Thanks
    KILL BILL
    Was just going to post Co-Op cashminder, don't think they credit check either, so no footprint on your CR.

Good online access too.
    Originally posted by dexters_mum
    they do do an enquiry with the credit reference agencies but they dont take into considreation if you havee ccjs

an entry appeared on my credit record when i applied and received a co electorn card

not to detract from the point of this thread but i will be applying for a clysdale/yorkshire bank basic current account as they provide a maestro card which is more accepted than the electron card even in online and for hiring a car in some places
    • will-in-estoril
    • By will-in-estoril 29th Jul 08, 12:34 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    will-in-estoril
    they do do an enquiry with the credit reference agencies but they dont take into considreation if you havee ccjs

an entry appeared on my credit record when i applied and received a co electorn card

not to detract from the point of this thread but i will be applying for a clysdale/yorkshire bank basic current account as they provide a maestro card which is more accepted than the electron card even in online and for hiring a car in some places
    Originally posted by KILL BILL
    A visa electron is better for low cost airlines.
    RIP independent MSE.
    Died 1st June 2012
    • superstar
    • By superstar 29th Jul 08, 1:17 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 3,322 Thanks
    superstar
    It doesn`t matter about a username.
    If you`re already set up for online banking ------ that`s it.
    Originally posted by alared
    Does HBOS send you application form for you to sign and return back or you get your card in the post straight away?

• andreibat
    • By andreibat 29th Jul 08, 7:52 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    andreibat
    Sorry, it goes back one post, but do you know of any banks that offer Visa Electron?

Ican make a difference for 'tight' budget traveller.
    • superstar
    • By superstar 29th Jul 08, 9:53 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 3,322 Thanks
    superstar
    Sorry, it goes back one post, but do you know of any banks that offer Visa Electron?

Ican make a difference for 'tight' budget traveller.
    Originally posted by andreibat
    Refer page one of this thread - Halifax, Co-op to name a few!

• benjus
    • By benjus 30th Jul 08, 9:42 AM
    • 5,316 Posts
    • 3,273 Thanks
    benjus
    Does HBOS send you application form for you to sign and return back or you get your card in the post straight away?
    Originally posted by superstar
    I got my card in the post straight away. I think if they can verify your identity electronically they don't need anything from you. Being an existing Halifax customer probably helped.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • sadken
    I have a Visa Electron with my Halifax Easycash account.
    My credit rating is BIBLICALLY bad, so you should get one!
    (Pay day loans unpaid, Provident refusing me, owe 15K to Lloyds etc etc!)
    Candelabra
    • CherwellRiver
    • By CherwellRiver 1st Aug 08, 3:45 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 3,159 Thanks
    CherwellRiver
    I applied for a Halifax Easycash account on 18 Jul, but have not heard anything from them since then.
    Is that normal?
    I am an existing customer of them. Should I expect my card in the post soon?
    • benjus
    • By benjus 1st Aug 08, 4:56 PM
    • 5,316 Posts
    • 3,273 Thanks
    benjus
    I applied for a Halifax Easycash account on 18 Jul, but have not heard anything from them since then.
    Is that normal?
    Originally posted by CherwellRiver
    I don't think mine took that long, but I didn't get any kind of acknowledgement (not even an email) until the card came in the post.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 2nd Aug 08, 9:29 AM
    • 2,111 Posts
    • 1,105 Thanks
    nic_c
    Is that normal?
    Originally posted by CherwellRiver
    Didn't you get an email back entitled "Welcome to the Halifax Online Service"? I got that within a day or two of applying - the next thing I heard was the welcome pack etc coming by post about a week later.

Signed in online and went to add in the easycash account (as its not viewable by default) and it also picked up an old account I had two decades ago that I thought I'd closed (only a few quid left in it, but a nice bonus )
  • MoneyMagnet
    I have a couple of instant access savings accounts with the Co-op that came with Electron cards - I think they're called Cashsavers (can't remember exactly off the top of my head)
    • superstar
    • By superstar 2nd Aug 08, 4:55 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 3,322 Thanks
    superstar
    I applied HBOS Easycash sometime ago and called them after no reply for 2 weeks. They said they do nothave any details, may be some problems and asked me to reapply again. Told me that it can be done via post, online or branch. Branch being the quickest!

Went in to TWO branches the next day and was told that they do NOT open Easycash in the branch and had to do it online or by post. So, i opened them again online. That was last week, rang them again today and was told they have no such records. Are they playing mickey mouse with me?

The chap told me to reapply!? I wouldnt have bothered getting one if not of ryanair. Argh, anyone had similar problem?

• nic_c
    • By nic_c 2nd Aug 08, 10:32 PM
    • 2,111 Posts
    • 1,105 Thanks
    nic_c
    The HBOS EasyCash isn't an account they promote or anything, I think its there purely because they needed an account for people who don't normally qualify for accounts (the welcome letter states how to get benefits paid in from DWP).

The letter says to telephone 08458 50 55 25 if there are any questions, so I'd advise anyone concerned at non-receipt to telephone them, to see the progress of their application.
  • ShelfStacker
    That's precisely the point of the EasyCash. The government has made it clear to the banks that they should offer basic bank accounts, but because Halifax don't make any money out of them they treat people with them fairly badly (can't operate an account in branch, for instance). It's basically, "We have to do this, but we're not going to do it without a fight."

Personally I'd just say to avoid Halifax and either go for the Co-Op's Cashminder (which has an Electron card) or Lloyds TSB's Cash Account, if not one of the myriad other accounts that don't treat people like second class citizens.
    • superstar
    • By superstar 3rd Aug 08, 2:15 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 3,322 Thanks
    superstar
    That's precisely the point of the EasyCash. The government has made it clear to the banks that they should offer basic bank accounts, but because Halifax don't make any money out of them they treat people with them fairly badly (can't operate an account in branch, for instance). It's basically, "We have to do this, but we're not going to do it without a fight."

Personally I'd just say to avoid Halifax and either go for the Co-Op's Cashminder (which has an Electron card) or Lloyds TSB's Cash Account, if not one of the myriad other accounts that don't treat people like second class citizens.
    Originally posted by ShelfStacker
    Lloyds offers debit card.

• Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 4th Aug 08, 9:28 AM
    • 4,845 Posts
    • 1,591 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    Lloyds offers debit card.
    Originally posted by superstar
    The LloydsTSB Account comes with a Visa Debit card, which won't give you cheaper flights....That's the point of this thread - Co-op Cashminder or BOS/Halifax Easycash come with Visa Electron.

However, I was told that BOS will give you counter service, but they couldn't open them in the branch.
  • razorlaugh
    Having made a career of playing the Ryanair system I wanted to hit them with an Electron card payment but was far from keen on opening a `basic` account to get one. The key is that the Electron payment is checked for available funds, thus safeguarding the retailer. Trawling NatWest I find that they offer Gift Cards that are `accepted by Electron equipped retailers world wide, including online`. Go to bank, hand over cash and get a charged card that you can then activate and enter to pay for the Ryanair flight. Drawback is that you need to round the figure up, so torn between letting them keep my 2p change as their `administration fee` or asking for a refund or credit aginst next booking!
    Originally posted by StanDupright
    Thanks Standup. That's a good alternative, especially while I wait for my Electron card to come through (I applied via telephone for the Co-op Cashminder account). On the down side, I read on NatWest's small print that they charge 3 for the gift card you mention, which is a pity. Coupled with the rounding up I'll have to do, it will take a near-4 chunk out of the 8 Ryanair fees I'm trying to save! :confused:

But thanks for the info all the same, I didn't know about the gift cards. I might get one today.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 4th Aug 08, 3:31 PM
    • 2,111 Posts
    • 1,105 Thanks
    nic_c
    HBOS Easycash can be operated in branch. You can pay-in & withdraw at the counter within a branch (went in today and topped up, got home and the cash is there going to book my ryanair flight now). Had a chat as had to order a new pin (initial one was water damaged :-( ) and it is essentially a "self service" account where you can pay in via the quick-deposit withdraw via ATM, but can use the counter if want.

I didn't know about the coop cashminder, as paying in via the PO would mean a 300mtre walk rather than a 3 mile car ride, but the easycash will do me fine - I'll only be using it for ryanair.

If anyone is having problem applying online, try the phone as there's an option on that 0845 no I gave to actually apply.
  • babybimbles
    Having made a career of playing the Ryanair system I wanted to hit them with an Electron card payment but was far from keen on opening a `basic` account to get one. The key is that the Electron payment is checked for available funds, thus safeguarding the retailer. Trawling NatWest I find that they offer Gift Cards that are `accepted by Electron equipped retailers world wide, including online`. Go to bank, hand over cash and get a charged card that you can then activate and enter to pay for the Ryanair flight. Drawback is that you need to round the figure up, so torn between letting them keep my 2p change as their `administration fee` or asking for a refund or credit aginst next booking!
    Originally posted by StanDupright
    Hi there, about to book flights costing 370 increasing to a whopping 416 if paying by visa... is the Natwest gift card tried and tested? Am keen to send hubby to the bank tomorrrow!

tia
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,577Posts Today

8,499Users online

Martin's Twitter