Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paddytt
    • By paddytt 30th May 06, 8:37 PM
    • 262Posts
    • 98Thanks
    paddytt
    Where to get a VISA Electron card?
    • 30th May 06, 8:37 PM
    Where to get a VISA Electron card? 30th May 06 at 8:37 PM
    Does anyone know where I can get a VISA Electron card?

It seems to be the only way to avoid extortionate credit/debit card charges on Ryanair.com - 14 on a 104 flight! That's over 13% in charges! Sorry but I refuse to pay them that much...

I notice that Barclays offer one, but only for 16 to 19 years olds. Do you think they are fussy about the age? I was 19 once...

regards

TT
Page 1
    • iwanttosave
    • By iwanttosave 30th May 06, 8:38 PM
    • 32,245 Posts
    • 23,299 Thanks
    iwanttosave
    • 30th May 06, 8:38 PM
    • 30th May 06, 8:38 PM
    I have a visa electron from my A&L standard current account
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching

Save the cheerleader, save the world!
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 30th May 06, 9:03 PM
    • 51,740 Posts
    • 21,942 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 30th May 06, 9:03 PM
    • 30th May 06, 9:03 PM
    HSBC and Natwest issue Solo cards. All other banks have basic accounts with Visa Electron cards. I am not sure about Barclays and age though.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • C_Ronaldo
    • By C_Ronaldo 30th May 06, 9:17 PM
    • 4,632 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    C_Ronaldo
    • 30th May 06, 9:17 PM
    • 30th May 06, 9:17 PM
    rbs do a maestro cirrus card(or a switch card), ive had it since i was 18/19,
  • tammyfshr
    • 30th May 06, 9:18 PM
    visa electron
    • 30th May 06, 9:18 PM
    hi
    i still had a visa electron card with barclays till last year and im 25.it only stopped because i changed banks.if you ask them for a basic account this is what they give you.
    • C_Ronaldo
    • By C_Ronaldo 30th May 06, 9:26 PM
    • 4,632 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    C_Ronaldo
    • 30th May 06, 9:26 PM
    • 30th May 06, 9:26 PM
    oh lloyds tsb do a visa debit card
    • Lara
    • By Lara 30th May 06, 9:58 PM
    • 2,825 Posts
    • 1,841 Thanks
    Lara
    • 30th May 06, 9:58 PM
    • 30th May 06, 9:58 PM
    My visa electron card is via Woolwich.
    • paddytt
    • By paddytt 31st May 06, 5:23 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    paddytt
    • 31st May 06, 5:23 PM
    • 31st May 06, 5:23 PM
    Thanks for all the answers. I hope the following is useful to someone:

1. VISA Electron and VISE Delta are NOT the same - Electron is normally for 'basic' bank accounts for students, and those who can't get a 'full' current account.

2. I rang Lloyds - they don't issue Electron cards anymore

3. I rang A&L - they have agreed to "downgrade" my VISA Delta to an Electron card

4. Both banks tried to tell me that very few places accept VISA Electron, but reading other threads in this forum, I know that this is no longer true

5. If my A&L VISA Electron card arrives, I'll be saving 14 a time on booking flights on Ryanair!!!! Can't wait. Do I get a MoneySavingExpert certificate now??

regards

TT
    • yumzone
    • By yumzone 31st May 06, 5:41 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    yumzone
    • 31st May 06, 5:41 PM
    • 31st May 06, 5:41 PM
    Hi there the cooperative bak offer a visa electron card with there basic bank account
    Smilings good for you, it releases happy endorphines in your brain and makes your boobs grow bigger
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today; it's already tomorrow in Australia!
  • Kilty
    4. Both banks tried to tell me that very few places accept VISA Electron, but reading other threads in this forum, I know that this is no longer true
    by paddytt

Correct, I have one and havent had a problem as far as acceptance goes, and when you shop online even if a company doesnt list Electron but dont specifically say that its not accepted, put it through as Visa, usually works fine. (9 times out of 10)
    • paddytt
    • By paddytt 19th Jun 06, 8:31 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    paddytt
    Just an update - I received my new Electron card from A&L, and successfully paid for our Ryanair flights without paying any fee! Saved 12 against the credit card fee that they normally charge!

I feel much better now.

TT
    • Revex
    • By Revex 19th Jun 06, 10:38 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Revex
    Just an update - I received my new Electron card from A&L, and successfully paid for our Ryanair flights without paying any fee! Saved £12 against the credit card fee that they normally charge!

I feel much better now.

TT
    by paddytt
    I suprised you would have got charged this fee on your visa delta card with A + L as the visa debit that you had aka visa delta card its a DEBIT card like the visa electron. My friend is with barclays and has a visa delta/debit card and was not charged any fee when booking flights with ryanair.
    Last edited by Revex; 19-06-2006 at 10:55 PM.
    • PBA
    • By PBA 19th Jun 06, 10:58 PM
    • 1,508 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    PBA
    My friend is with barclays and has a visa delta/debit card and was not charged any fee when booking flights with ryanair.
    by Revex
    How recently was this? About a year ago you could select Electron from the menu but put in a Visa debit card number and get away without paying the surcharge. However last time I tried this (in Feb this year I think) it didn't work and I had to pay the surcharge.

Abbey will let you have an Electron and Visa debit card on the same account so you don't have to "downgrade". I try and suggest this to my customers when I notice a Ryanair booking on their account summary.
    • Revex
    • By Revex 20th Jun 06, 11:39 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Revex
    How recently was this? About a year ago you could select Electron from the menu but put in a Visa debit card number and get away without paying the surcharge. However last time I tried this (in Feb this year I think) it didn't work and I had to pay the surcharge.

Abbey will let you have an Electron and Visa debit card on the same account so you don't have to "downgrade". I try and suggest this to my customers when I notice a Ryanair booking on their account summary.
    by PBA
    Perhaps so, im not sure how long ago. I didnt think it was that long but it must have been if they now put a surcharge on delta cards, as he definatly didnt get one or I would have known about it hehe.
    • geoff_s---r
    • By geoff_s---r 9th Jul 08, 8:12 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    geoff_s---r
    >"That's over 13% in charges! Sorry but I refuse to pay them that much..."

13% is chickenfeed to get annoyed about Paddy

1p return tickets for me & 2 friends gave me a hit of 6 card payment 'handling charges' to process the one transaction totalling 6p - That would now be 24.06. Would that be a 40,000% increase on the advertised price? The price is still fine, so why do Ryanair want leave you feeling cheated?
    Last edited by geoff_s---r; 01-07-2012 at 10:12 PM.
    • xiox
    • By xiox 9th Jul 08, 9:19 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    xiox
    I think it's a con by Ryanair to put hidden costs into tickets. They have to legally have a low cost option for buying tickets, so they choose a card virtually nobody has so that nobody can get the advertised prices. Someone ought to take them to court and see whether there is any basis for the difference in charges between an Electron and any other debit card.
  • StanDupright
    Electron v Ryanair
    Having made a career of playing the Ryanair system I wanted to hit them with an Electron card payment but was far from keen on opening a `basic` account to get one. The key is that the Electron payment is checked for available funds, thus safeguarding the retailer. Trawling NatWest I find that they offer Gift Cards that are `accepted by Electron equipped retailers world wide, including online`. Go to bank, hand over cash and get a charged card that you can then activate and enter to pay for the Ryanair flight. Drawback is that you need to round the figure up, so torn between letting them keep my 2p change as their `administration fee` or asking for a refund or credit aginst next booking!
    • superstar
    • By superstar 21st Jul 08, 10:55 AM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 3,322 Thanks
    superstar
    1. VISA Electron and VISE Delta are NOT the same - Electron is normally for 'basic' bank accounts for students, and those who can't get a 'full' current account.
    TT
    Originally posted by paddytt
    Is Visa Delta = Visa Debit?

• benjus
    • By benjus 21st Jul 08, 11:17 AM
    • 5,316 Posts
    • 3,273 Thanks
    benjus
    Having made a career of playing the Ryanair system I wanted to hit them with an Electron card payment but was far from keen on opening a `basic` account to get one. The key is that the Electron payment is checked for available funds, thus safeguarding the retailer. Trawling NatWest I find that they offer Gift Cards that are `accepted by Electron equipped retailers world wide, including online`. Go to bank, hand over cash and get a charged card that you can then activate and enter to pay for the Ryanair flight. Drawback is that you need to round the figure up, so torn between letting them keep my 2p change as their `administration fee` or asking for a refund or credit aginst next booking!
    Originally posted by StanDupright
    Why were you keen to avoid opening a "basic" bank account? I have just opened one with Halifax (Easycash) for buying Ryanair flights. You can apply online and it only takes a few minutes. I have no intention of using it as my main current account - I just keep enough money in there to cover a typical Ryanair purchase and will transfer more in as necessary.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • benjus
    • By benjus 21st Jul 08, 11:25 AM
    • 5,316 Posts
    • 3,273 Thanks
    benjus
    Is Visa Delta = Visa Debit?
    Originally posted by superstar
    Visa Delta was the name used in the UK for Visa Debit cards. It is being/has been phased out in favour of Visa Debit.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,188Posts Today

7,671Users online

Martin's Twitter