Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
    • descartesmum
    • By descartesmum 3rd Dec 08, 11:02 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    descartesmum
    I have a titaniumcash card which is with mastercard. I admit it, I have bad credit so this is a G-dsend which I can use for everything on-line. There's a small fee when you use it but nothing for putting money on the card.

http://www.titaniumcashplus.co.uk/
  • ladygogs
    I have a PayPal pre-pay card, which has been great except when It hasn't been accepted... QVC and Virgin Media Grrrr... That is most irksome, it does say that it can be used anywhere you can use an ordinary Visa, not so!
    Still musn't grumble too much, it gets you out of a hole ;-)
  • savagej
    The Paypal card is technically very similar to a Visa Electron card. If it will not swipe or the Chip goes, card numbers beginning 4544 (or is it 4844) cannot be keyed into the shop terminal.
    Last edited by savagej; 03-12-2008 at 12:49 PM.
  • chrisitme
    What's Happening at Paypal
    I wanted to give my daughter and son a paypal card each for Christmas but for the last fortnight every time I fill in the forms at the very last bit when it's suppose to get the funding from my paypal account a message comes up saying
    I am sorry we are unable to complete your request, please try again later.

Please try again.

I've emailed paypal twice and they say its a technical problem and they are dealing with it. It does seem to be taking them an exceedingly long time!
    Does anyone know what's happening ?
  • kenthesweep
    Visa electron - can anyone help? Where do we get one?
    Hope this thread is OK for asking about VISA ELECTRON - I think it is a card that can only be used if you have funds actually available, but seem to be having all sorts of problems accessing any details of where to get one! Can anyone help please?
  • ShelfStacker
    Hope this thread is OK for asking about VISA ELECTRON - I think it is a card that can only be used if you have funds actually available, but seem to be having all sorts of problems accessing any details of where to get one! Can anyone help please?
    Originally posted by kenthesweep
    The Co-Op's Cashminder, Halifax Easycash... that's the main two that spring to mind.
  • gideon_online
    Hi I was wondering if anyone knew of a pre paid Visa or Visa Electron card that CAN be used for online gaming sites. I cannot seem to find one anywhere! There are plenty of Maestro options but some of the sites I want to use do not accept Meastro.
    Many Thanks
    Better to burn out..... than to fade away...
    • worrygirl
    • By worrygirl 4th Dec 08, 8:40 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    worrygirl
    pre paid card while on DMP?
    Hello everyone!

Please can someone tell me if it would benifit me getting a pre paid card to improve my credit rating?? The only thing is I am on a DMP ? would this benifit me even though i am on this DMP?

Thanks in advance
    • robin banks
    • By robin banks 4th Dec 08, 9:05 AM
    • 14,758 Posts
    • 24,012 Thanks
    robin banks
    In general no, beause no credit facility is involved i.e. you are not borrowing money from them meremly loading you're own onto it. so they do not report to a CRA, though the one's that charge a monthly fee might, cashplus for example.

They are very expensive, and charge you to use your own money, if you need a debit card, useing a savings account with a debit card might of more advantage, natwest reward reserve for example has a solo card.
    "An arrogant and self-righteous Guardian reading tvv@t".

wtf is all that about?
    • worrygirl
    • By worrygirl 4th Dec 08, 10:11 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    worrygirl
    Thanks robin

It was one of the paying ones i meant i read martins artical and it says it can help you if you have poor credit rating as long as you make sure you pay the 9.99 a month and dont miss a payment?

Many thanks
    • robin banks
    • By robin banks 4th Dec 08, 10:16 AM
    • 14,758 Posts
    • 24,012 Thanks
    robin banks
    9.99 is a lot though to use one of these cards, if you do and it does report to a CRA then it MAY be of benefit. Don't forget my advice re debit cards linked to savings accounts.

Good luck.

wtf is all that about?
  • killie1997
    what is the best prepaid card for car hire please
    • robin banks
    • By robin banks 4th Dec 08, 2:00 PM
    • 14,758 Posts
    • 24,012 Thanks
    robin banks
    tbh none of them really , they are all expensive and remember you cannot use these for hotels. petrol , flights.

Consider how likely you are to use them, and for what type of purchases and how often you load them all of these have fees atatched.

wtf is all that about?
  • killie1997
    Hi I was wondering if anyone knew of a pre paid Visa or Visa Electron card that CAN be used for online gaming sites. I cannot seem to find one anywhere! There are plenty of Maestro options but some of the sites I want to use do not accept Meastro.
    Many Thanks
    Originally posted by gideon_online
    hi try titanium cash plus it works for me
  • killie1997
    try titanium cash plus, it work for me
  • Jackandmaureen
    PayPal
    There is also a PayPal card that costs 5 to apply for and works directly with your online PayPal account, though it is more expensive to charge up manually at banks etc, but great if you receive money in PayPal as you can use it without all the online withdrawal hassles. Good luck all
  • Former MSE Dan
    HI worrygirl and robin banks,

Just tp clear up some confusion, the credibuilder card is 4.95/month, with a 9.99 one-off start up fee.

It is far from the cheapest prepaid card, but it is useful for rebuilding your credit rating, if used in the way described in the article.

Cheers
  • smartmind
    BAD IDEA that should be sunk without a trace
    There are some ideas that are so bad that they shouldn't be promoted by experts such as MSE. Prepaid cards are basically a rip-off and they are promoted for those that can least afford them.

Better to campaign for the greedy banks to ensure everyone can get a free basic bank account with debit cards which at least allow withdrawals up to the account balance. If we are forced to accept payment of our salary to bank accounts so banks (now that they are under nearpublic ownership) should be compelled to facilitate our needs (except in the case of convicted fraudsters).
    • cifpower
    • By cifpower 5th Dec 08, 6:37 PM
    • 6,448 Posts
    • 4,093 Thanks
    cifpower
    Free $ or € currency card if you top up with €10 or $20

http://www.fairfx.com/opodo/wizard/start/card

• neilp
    When trying to order the Travelex card online it appears it has to be collected from an airport (with no other delivery options). Is this right? The article implies that the versions of the card sold in assorted travel agents etc are different from those available online, and are available only in dollars or euros. Again, is this right?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

125Posts Today

2,106Users online

Martin's Twitter