Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    alandbailey
    Another Tesco Massive Price Increase
    • 4th Oct 08, 5:32 PM
    Another Tesco Massive Price Increase 4th Oct 08 at 5:32 PM
    The Whitworths 500gm white sugar cubes which have been priced at 36p are now priced at 77p.
    Before there is a plethora of postings advising me thatthis is the way of retailing, I would point out that a) the SEL did not show it as a limited offer and b) Tesco appear to be funding its claim to be Britain's biggest discounter by discounting junk food but increasing the prices on some staples. Isn't that them being a bit hypocritical ?
    I am only posting this to inform other MSErs who may wish to go to their Tesco and see if they have any stock left at the lower price.
Page 5
  • d.edna
    d.edna all supermarkets are putting prices up but it appears tesco are using their no 1 position and taking their customers for granted. I particularly object to the bogof offersa where the price of a single item is pushed through the roof so that you are almost double anyway. Sooner or later the public will catch on and Tesco will lose their lead.
    I still shop there but only buy things which are cheaper than elsewhere and as the days go by that is becoming less and less.
    Originally posted by thor
    How does this relate to petrol
    • guinness34
    • By guinness34 25th Oct 08, 8:27 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    guinness34
    tesco always put up they prices when they have a petrol promotion on
  • Zippy123
    All this moaning about Tesco putting their prices up! They are allowed to. If you don't like it shop elsewhere. They are in business to make money!

Also have you thought that their suppliers may have put the price up (raw material prices have shot up recently) or that they have stopped subsidising a price?
    • keith99
    • By keith99 25th Oct 08, 9:38 AM
    • 1,159 Posts
    • 1,664 Thanks
    keith99
    All this moaning about Tesco putting their prices up! They are allowed to. If you don't like it shop elsewhere. They are in business to make money!

Also have you thought that their suppliers may have put the price up (raw material prices have shot up recently) or that they have stopped subsidising a price?
    Originally posted by Zippy123
    Do you work for Tesco?
    Have you noticed the name of the website we are on MONEYSAVINGEXPERT.COM, it may tell you why we moan about price rises, we are here looking to SAVE money believe it or not!
    • abacab
    • By abacab 25th Oct 08, 9:51 AM
    • 423 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    abacab
    quote"the petrol buyer then hosts the store, which can take a while (when they nationally dropped the price of petrol our store was forgotton about) when they send the host, if the price increases we are required to increase immediately or "Gross profit margins will be affected", whilst a price drop doesnt carry the same warning (for obvious reasons) It isn't the stores problem that some guy called Barry in cheshunt who doesnt know the area takes ages to lower the price, I know for a fact that they don't rush. Customers have a go at us as if I set the price, Staff at branch level cannot do anything and its not their fault.[/quote]

Seems quite a few Tesco forecourts have been'forgotton about' in Norfolk/Suffolk/Cambs.
    Even the normally expensive outlets like BP are outdoing them on price.
    Britains biggest discounter is a joke.
    • keith99
    • By keith99 25th Oct 08, 9:59 AM
    • 1,159 Posts
    • 1,664 Thanks
    keith99
    quote"the petrol buyer then hosts the store, which can take a while (when they nationally dropped the price of petrol our store was forgotton about) when they send the host, if the price increases we are required to increase immediately or "Gross profit margins will be affected", whilst a price drop doesnt carry the same warning (for obvious reasons) It isn't the stores problem that some guy called Barry in cheshunt who doesnt know the area takes ages to lower the price, I know for a fact that they don't rush. Customers have a go at us as if I set the price, Staff at branch level cannot do anything and its not their fault.
    Originally posted by abacab
    Seems quite a few Tesco forecourts have been'forgotton about' in Norfolk/Suffolk/Cambs.
    Even the normally expensive outlets like BP are outdoing them on price.
    Britains biggest discounter is a joke.[/quote]

Says it all really. Quick to put up, slow to put down. Will only drop price if Asda etc. do. This was proved last week in The Sun when they only reduced following pressure to.
    They used to say they took the lead in fuel prices, well certainly not any more.
    • Princess Coupon
    • By Princess Coupon 25th Oct 08, 10:14 AM
    • 3,592 Posts
    • 21,457 Thanks
    Princess Coupon
    Read the title of the thread
    Originally posted by Zippy123
    Of course they are, and if it was the rate of inflation 5% or even double inflation 10% we wouldn't bat an eyelid, but often it's 50% or even 100% that's what we're discussing MASSIVE increases as the title says.
    AKA: PC

Rest in Peace Fred the Maddest Muppet in Heaven

• thor
    • By thor 25th Oct 08, 6:43 PM
    • 5,300 Posts
    • 1,898 Thanks
    thor
    All supermarkets are trying to pull the wool over our eyes but Tesco are trying it on the most. Hopefully they will suffer the most as well during this downturn when people begin to realise that shopping elsewhere cheaper is not against the law.
  • iliketosave
    A couple of weeks ago Maris piper potatoes were reduced from £1.98 to £1.48 with the wording 'everyday low price'. Now they are back up to £1.98 and the wording still says 'everyday low price'.
    Yet another case of trying to pull the wool over our eyes.
  • crocodileteeth
    6 pack of own brand dog food, was £1.88 now £2.10. Bought winalot today because it was on offer at £1.98
    • TESCO R+R RAIDER
    • By TESCO R+R RAIDER 26th Oct 08, 3:16 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    TESCO R+R RAIDER
    tesco express stores tesco own cherryade was 46p now 50p. main stores 44p still. why does prices go up when tesco does its 5p off a litre petrol campaign and then drops when it finishes?.
    given up on tesco do a lot os boots offers. but weekends are now in orange trackside b. lol
    now a race marshal at silverstone.
  • parsonswife8
    I have to say that I often pop into waitrose and find meat and fish much cheaper than in tesco. I got 16 free range chicken thighs for £4 in there a couple of weeks ago.. I'd like to see Tesco beat that!
    Originally posted by whowho
    __________________________________________________ _

I agree with you there.

We bought more then a kg of oxtail at Waitrose a week ago, for approx £6.00. Cooked in the slow cooker with tomatoes, sliced carrots and cannelini beans, served with mash, made 6 big adult plates of food. And it falls off the bone.

I've also bought a lot of reduced meat, fish, game and other groceries over the last couple of years and never been disappointed.
    • josie
    • By josie 26th Oct 08, 5:06 PM
    • 3,052 Posts
    • 17,934 Thanks
    josie
    Something else that annoys me, is that they really make it hard for you to compare prices, esp on fruit and veg. Have you ever tried to compare pre-packed bags of apples with loose to see which is cheaper? They make it very difficult!

So much for having to put the price per whatever in the small print - Tesco get around this by putting price per bag of apples 'x' and then 'x' per kg on the loose - so you'd actually have to weigh a bag and then try and work out the rate per kg. It really annoys me - I thought trading standards were supposed to monitor this sort of thing - suppose I ought to contact them, really! It's the same with potatoes, tomatoes, mushrooms etc,. etc.

One point on the milk, going back to previous posters - they are doing local milk cheaper than the standard 4 pint pack - well certainly in semi skimmed and also the Fresh n Lo, does work out cheaper at the moment as it's on special offer - but beware it's one of the smaller size packs.

It took them 2 weeks in our local T's to put the milk label with the comparison on, again making it difficult to compare different sizes.
    • Clowance
    • By Clowance 27th Oct 08, 6:29 AM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 1,164 Thanks
    Clowance
    I agree, you have to weigh packs and the scales are halfway down the aisle, not near the product. Then work it out. I discovered that family packs of tomatoes were cheaper than 6 packs. They may also have been cheaper than loose, can't remember. Cunning devils.
    Also loose baking spuds are very dear compared to bagged bakers, let alone to normal spuds should you find any with big ones.
    Don't forget quidco/topcashback - I do!
    • isayoldchap
    • By isayoldchap 27th Oct 08, 6:33 AM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    isayoldchap
    Now back to the advertising
    The Whitworths 500gm white sugar cubes which have been priced at 36p are now priced at 77p.
    Before there is a plethora of postings advising me thatthis is the way of retailing, I would point out that a) the SEL did not show it as a limited offer and b) Tesco appear to be funding its claim to be Britain's biggest discounter by discounting junk food but increasing the prices on some staples. Isn't that them being a bit hypocritical ?
    I am only posting this to inform other MSErs who may wish to go to their Tesco and see if they have any stock left at the lower price.
    Originally posted by alandbailey
    We have lowered another 1000 products but what you don't know is that we have increased another 3000 products this month.
    Every liitle helps!!
  • kerrydrobertson
    every week i buy Tesco lightweight cat litter and have noticed that from last week it has went up 25p!!?
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 27th Oct 08, 3:08 PM
    • 9,194 Posts
    • 17,132 Thanks
    calleyw
    Daisy washing powder for colours 35 wash box £3.29 if you buy the 30 wash packet it is £2.39

Guess who got caught out as there was no label. And since I last bought some a couple of months it has gone up from £2.69 to £2.99 to £3.29 now

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • FreddieM
    • By FreddieM 27th Oct 08, 3:48 PM
    • 951 Posts
    • 1,229 Thanks
    FreddieM
    You could always shop elsewhere
    Originally posted by heskpesk
    And people who are getting ripped off by this store could continue and report the TESCO exploitation....... You know what the ad says

Every Little helps....... So let's help each other by exploiting them :confused:
    If youcan lie down at night knowing in your heart that you just made someone’s day just a little bit better,you know you had a good day!!
  • alandbailey
    Has TESCO read my post of 15th October?
    This afternoon I noticed that Tesco at Shepton Mallet had their own-brand Wild Pink Salmon large tins back on sale at 80p. I don't know whether this was old stock or a genuine reduction. Still, I bought 5 tins to stock up!
  • bunny999
    Hartleys old English marmalade has gone from 58p to £1.29. Other marmalades have also dramatically in creased in price.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,615Users online

Martin's Twitter