Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 20th Sep 19, 8:45 AM
    • 599Posts
    • 192Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News
    • 20th Sep 19, 8:45 AM
    0 WOW
    Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News 20th Sep 19 at 8:45 AM
    Holiday firm Thomas Cook has confirmed that it is seeking £200 million in extra funding as it attempts to prevent a collapse...
    Read the full story:
    'Thomas Cook worries? Here's what you need to know'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Nick R; 03-10-2019 at 3:29 PM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 2
    • up-north-eng
    • By up-north-eng 20th Sep 19, 4:53 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    up-north-eng
    up-north-eng. I wouldn't be too sure that everything has been paid for at all. It may have been, Disney can be very strict but everything else may be on credit and paid after you travel. At present, don't worry as there is nothing you can do, is it Airtours or US Airtours which is a completely independent company and has ATOL number 3085 not Thomas Cook whose ATOL is 1179?
    Originally posted by Alan Bowen
    It Airtours ala Thomas cook unfortunately, we did receive our Universal tickets this morning and our Disney code a couple of weeks ago for fast passes. Not sure what happens to those if TC go under though.
    • CrikeyBananas
    • By CrikeyBananas 20th Sep 19, 5:14 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 2,310 Thanks
    CrikeyBananas
    Thanks for the info, MSE.

I'm supposed to be flying tomorrow (package through Travel Republic which includes Thomas Cook flights) and noted on the article that you mentioned 'If you hadn't started your trip when it stopped trading, you'd get a full refund (or in some cases a replacement holiday instead).' Can you elaborate on what the circumstances are where you might get a replacement holiday?
    • aabs
    • By aabs 20th Sep 19, 5:28 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    aabs
    Some good deals on Thomas Cooks website for obvious reasons.
    Seriously considering making a package holiday booking for later this year. Going to purchase online by CC and hopefully more customers will take advantage of the current deals and help keep the business afloat and a lot of TC employees in work
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 20th Sep 19, 6:38 PM
    • 3,357 Posts
    • 1,701 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    Crikey Bananas, it sounds as though your contract is with Travel Republic, not TC itself. If the airline failed, it would be up to Travel Republic to source alternative flights, if they could not then they would have to offer you an alternative holiday to a different destination or a full refund. If you are travelling tomorrow, I wouldn't worry too much
    • niceday999
    • By niceday999 20th Sep 19, 8:28 PM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    niceday999
    Thomas cook - booked all separately
    Booked flights and hotel separately ( first time ever ) flights with Thomas Cook and booked directly with the hotel ( gran oasis in Tenerife) I used my credit card - Halifax clarity , and paid for the flights out right but on booking hotel was only asked for £200 deposit and to Pay the remainder on arrival ..
    if Thomas cook goes bust I will claim off my credit card for the flights . Can anyone advise me whst Will happen with hotel booking ?
    We are due to fly out 4 Oct 2019
    Last edited by niceday999; 20-09-2019 at 8:29 PM. Reason: Forgot to and something
    • leighduffy
    • By leighduffy 20th Sep 19, 9:23 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    leighduffy
    Thomas Cook partner airlines at risk?
    We fly with TC next weekend (flight only) and notice our flights are with SmartLynx, a TC fleet partner.
    Does anyone have an understanding of whether these partner flights would be jeopardised by TC administration, or unaffected?
    I am unable to find a definitive answer as to their ownership.
    TIA.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 20th Sep 19, 9:49 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 1,518 Thanks
    Westin
    Booked flights and hotel separately ( first time ever ) flights with Thomas Cook and booked directly with the hotel ( gran oasis in Tenerife) I used my credit card - Halifax clarity , and paid for the flights out right but on booking hotel was only asked for £200 deposit and to Pay the remainder on arrival ..
    if Thomas cook goes bust I will claim off my credit card for the flights . Can anyone advise me whst Will happen with hotel booking ?
    We are due to fly out 4 Oct 2019
    Originally posted by niceday999

This is covered on the updated MSE feature under “What about separate hotels, car hire etc - are they protected?”

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/09/thomas-cook-seeking-p200m-extra-funding-/?_ga=2.70862999.604875785.1540842026-1344478144.1443270551
    • Westin
    • By Westin 20th Sep 19, 9:54 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 1,518 Thanks
    Westin
    We fly with TC next weekend (flight only) and notice our flights are with SmartLynx, a TC fleet partner.
    Does anyone have an understanding of whether these partner flights would be jeopardised by TC administration, or unaffected?
    I am unable to find a definitive answer as to their ownership.
    TIA.
    Originally posted by leighduffy
    Unfortunately your flight would indeed be affected should TC collapse into administration.

The SmartLynx flight aircraft/flight is leased by TC to operate a flight series on their behalf.

I would refer to the updated MSE report for how issues with TC could impact flight only bookings.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/09/thomas-cook-seeking-p200m-extra-funding-/?_ga=2.70862999.604875785.1540842026-1344478144.1443270551
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 21st Sep 19, 5:32 AM
    • 3,357 Posts
    • 1,701 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    The good news this morning is that TC flights are operating as normal!
    • Concerned75
    • By Concerned75 21st Sep 19, 6:45 AM
    • 265 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Concerned75
    I know nothing about how some of these companies emalgimate, so can someone tell me if Thomas Cook's collapse will effect those that have holidays booked with Tui next year. I have a wedding and holiday booked with Tui. I can't find any direct information on this and I need to know either way for obvious reasons. If anyone can help, much appreciated.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 21st Sep 19, 6:55 AM
    • 35,631 Posts
    • 41,780 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Tui is a completely different company , no links
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 21st Sep 19, 7:06 AM
    • 6,417 Posts
    • 2,775 Thanks
    roddydogs
    I don't understand, I thought if it was covered by abta or atol , you were covered? Why not in this case.
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 21st Sep 19, 7:58 AM
    • 651 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    bobblebob
    Anyone that has claimed through ATOL before know the answer to this:

Me and my friend booked on a package holiday. We split the deposit 50/50 ans each paid on our own debit cards. Do i have to submit 2 ATOL claim forms seeing as 2 different cards were used, or can i get both deposits paid back into my account and i will then transfer his share?

The ATOL claim form only allows you to give bank details for 1 account
    • Deanomcdeano
    • By Deanomcdeano 21st Sep 19, 8:27 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Deanomcdeano
    So I booked for next year paying via dd.
    My third payment of £170 is due on Friday.
    I have an atol cert I've checked, however do I pay on Friday ? Will I get this back or am I throwing money away?
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 21st Sep 19, 8:29 AM
    • 3,357 Posts
    • 1,701 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    roddydogs, ABTA does not provide any form of financial protection for holidays involving air travel. TC could have protected the flights under their own ATOL but chose not to, only the packages which are required by law to be covered by an ATOL licence.

bobblebob, two people if booked together should be able to make a single claim but if there is a failure of this size, the CAA will appoint a claims handler (who is allegedly recruiting staff right now according to the bastion of truth 'the Sun' )and therefore they may decide to require individual claims. The CAA should make this clear if and when it is necessary
    • Westin
    • By Westin 21st Sep 19, 8:52 AM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 1,518 Thanks
    Westin
    I don't understand, I thought if it was covered by abta or atol , you were covered? Why not in this case.
    Originally posted by roddydogs
    I think you need to expand on your situation to gain a relevant answer.

The updated MSE report is actually well written with good advice. Have you read through it? https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/09/thomas-cook-seeking-p200m-extra-funding-/?_ga=2.106868228.604875785.1540842026-1344478144.1443270551

Edit: Just seen that Alan Bowen has answered in post above.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 21st Sep 19, 8:59 AM
    • 6,417 Posts
    • 2,775 Thanks
    roddydogs
    Ok thanks Silly me I just thought that with possibly the biggest name in holidays people would be covered.!
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 21st Sep 19, 10:25 AM
    • 3,357 Posts
    • 1,701 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    roddydogs, most people are fully protected by the ATOL scheme if they bought a package holiday. It is only those who did not who may have to look elsewhere for protection
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 21st Sep 19, 10:35 AM
    • 651 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    bobblebob
    Going to be fun working in the ATOL claim department in the coming weeks. Could be hundreds of thousands of claims that land on their desk
    • theonematt
    • By theonematt 21st Sep 19, 10:57 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    theonematt
    Thomas Cook claim that Thomas Cook Airline bookings only will not be affected at all. Is there any truth in this claim?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

1,696Users online

Martin's Twitter