Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kayej
    • By kayej 26th Dec 17, 4:00 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 1Thanks
    kayej
    Vibration noise from under house
    • 26th Dec 17, 4:00 PM
    Vibration noise from under house 26th Dec 17 at 4:00 PM
    HI, I found a thread on this which is closed & it was never resolved. Both myself & 7 neighbours have been tormented by an underground vibration coming from under the house for the past 2.5 years. Please note - This is NOT The Hum. This sounds like a generator / pump as it goes on & off at different times & when I first heard it, I thought it was a car revving it's motor outside the house (there was no car). I sleep in the basement rooms but also can hear it when sitting on the sofa. The tenants in the 1st & 2nd floors do not hear it.
    Since talking to neighbours the whole house next door hears it & around 4 other properties all next door to each other - some hear it who live in the upper levels & in some properties only people living in the basement hear it - presumably due it being low frequency & different people hearing different levels. It is mainly when lying in bed or sitting on furniture that it is worse.
    I started complaining to the Council, Environment Services & they even sent officers around in the middle of the night however they (seemed like security staff from a nightclub) & basically accused me of being strange, hearing things & having an inner ear problem (even after I had advised my neighbours had heard it). The Council put in a vibration monitor which shows a vibration coming from down the road but they don't know from where & simply keep saying that unless their officers hear it, it cannot be determined to be a statutory issue. They did put rubber mats under the bed but when I advised them that it didn't help they said it also must be air borne & therefore have no idea.
    I contacted Thames Water who have no idea what they are doing & assured me that they have checked their water pumps & it cannot be them - I don't believe them.
    We have had 2.5 years of sleepless nights 90% of nights. We are desperate. Does anyone have any ideas please? Also is this the correct thread?
    Last edited by kayej; 26-12-2017 at 4:21 PM.
Page 3
    • Redwhale
    • By Redwhale 20th Sep 19, 6:50 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Redwhale
    Vibration noise
    Iv read yr blog as iv exactly the same problem 5 yr now of sleep deprivation and stress ...environmental equipment picked up on unusual frequencies and an idling deasel generator but replied it could be coming from anywhere and want to hear it for himself which is pathetic as it was obvious where the torturing vibrations was coming from at the beginning of my complaints which was my nieghbours....now its all muffled in believe me when i say the council and environment work together and in my case anyway they really have botched the investigation because they cant/ wont be bothered to deal with dysfunctional nieghbours or in yr case source the EH are not fit for purpose..5 yrs on he still wants to hear it for himself its always throughout the night and like before when hes visited he states ow i cant really hear anything so has put it down to LFN in the freedom of information act..i know exactly how you feel as like me i feel this awful vibrations at ground level and throughout my home and going to bed i hear this awful droning machanical noise..i know its my nieghbours as i used to hear the motor through their wall massively and a jet of exhaust emmiting from their gas flue which indicates a dodjy set up ..iv got video evidences but they have now masked the noise well and atm no sign of exhaust smoke and fumes from their gas flue ..could be they are generating their own energy supply to grow some plants in a large cupboard or loft ...other than that im stumpted as my house is the only one effected in a row ..their is an underground sewage system nearby but i reallt dont think its from their ..how did yr EH know the vibrations were coming from elsewhere/ pin point down the road? Another source could possibly be thie national grid it has its hidden dark problems they wont admit to ...
    • Esmeraldab
    • By Esmeraldab 6th Oct 19, 9:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Esmeraldab
    Hi, I've got exact same issue with my home and I can totally understand your pain. I am wondering if you have any advice for me?
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 7th Oct 19, 12:26 AM
    • 25,155 Posts
    • 29,398 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Anyone in a busy city might consider 'repairs and maintenance' activities by any of the authorities or local businesses. Sounds can echo up our concrete streets, fooling our ears as to the true direction IYSWIM.

In my city centre the Council will only permit small scale road works, window cleaning using a cherry picker, pressure washing bus shelters or pavements (to remove gum), putting up and taking down bunting, fairy lights, 'adverts' for public events (all using a cherry picker) and much more at night or on Sundays so as not to hinder traffic.

Years ago we had a maddening, intermittent summer night hum that I finally identified as emanating from a 'portacabin' sited in a pedestrianised zone .... It was linked to the replacement or renewal of paviours a few streets away. Some sort of engine erroneously timed to come on at night.

Sorry I forget the detail but hope my list helps someone!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,697Posts Today

7,915Users online

Martin's Twitter