Any recommendations for fitted wardrobes?

124»

Comments

• jicms
    jicms Posts: 482
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm about to have wardrobes fitted. We had Hammonds round who quoted £3500, way over budget and with limited choice. I would suggest advertising your job on somewhere like https://www.myhammer.co.uk and choose a well-rated carpenter who can provide a fair quote. We've been advised to just order the doors from Gliderobes or Slidewardrobes and have the shelving/hanging made up more economically by the tradesman.
  • bobsmum
    bobsmum Posts: 77
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    SPAM reported
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    spam reported
  • As this thread is over 3 years old I would think the O.P is sorted
  • llyamah
    llyamah Posts: 255 Forumite
    xyz123 wrote: »
    Check your PM!

Hi. Not sure if my pm sent to you but please send the recommendation my way too!

Edit... Didn't realise the thread was this old!
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,264
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    . Friend of mine used xxxxxxx xxxxx. They are really good.
    Six year old thread.

Spam reported.
  • Just to echo all the other posts. Avoid Hammonds Furniture at all costs!

The company and the sales rep make a big thing of you're paying extra for quality and assurances. But nothing could be further from the truth.

Firstly, they use external contractors, so the quality depends on who you get from your area, and they don't really have a vested interest as they don't work for the company.

Our sliding wardrobes were well over £3000. But the finish was awful. Scratches on the door frame. Gaps in the joints. Bullet holes in the panels. Drawers not aligning up. Nothing level. And the sliding mechanism failing time and time again.

You complain and the company are just passive. They only care once they have your money.

Secondly, most of their units aren't really "made-to-measure. They are standard units with panels fitted in the gaps. Take a look to see if your wardrobes are utilising full space, if they reach the ceiling or if there is a gap?
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,201
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Spam reported, and this thread is ancient
  • Just completed my business with Hammonds.
    I will not be using them again and I would strongly recommend anyone not to use them under any circumstances.
    Doubtless, my tale will be very familiar with other sufferers of their incompetence.

The job of fitting a wardrobe/storage was given 1.5 days to be completed. As the job included complex angles it should have been allocated to a high grade fitter. Unfortunately after three days slog and much cursing the assigned fitter left the site stating that he could not complete the mission.see photos below. I live in an apartment and space is at a premium so 28 days of turmoil ensued, complicated by the arrival of our daughter from University. At this point we were climbing over the piano to sit on the couch. To be fair the customer agent was sympathetic and assigned a manager to visit and report on the sorry state of affairs. Again the regional manager was very professional and agreed that the job should never have been allocated to a low grade fitter in the first place. Eventually a top fitter arrived and completed the job. He was first class. He had to dismantle what had been erected in the first place in order to level the doors. The original fitter had even put batons on upside down.
    After the job completion I contacted Hammonds to see if they would compensate me for their incompetence as follows:
    A. You assigned a Fitter to complete the job who was unable to do so. The Fitter was a grade described by the regional Fitter as lowest grade (out of three grades). The job should have been assigned to a grade of Fitter ( highest level preferably) who could deal with the multiple angles of the units and create levelled furniture. Quote “ He should have had an experienced fitter with him. The job was going to an experienced fitter originally but the job was reassigned at a late stage.”

B. Quite simply if Hammonds had CONTROL of the job allocation. They executed that CONTROL negligently which resulted in the job being beyond the capability of the assigned fitter, spent materials and consequent delay.

C. It was within the CONTROL of Hammonds to foresee probable difficulties with the allocation of the fitter.

D. Parting words of the first fitter, very distressed, “ You’ll have to get a Manager (Fitter) to do it. I will phone the Customer Services on Monday, leave it with me, you do not need to contact them.”

The issue is not the length of delay but the fault of Hammonds in correctly assigning the job to a competent fitter in the first place.

Of course their policy and practice seems to be about fire-fighting and avoiding any recompense being paid. They did the so called escalation exercise but several promises to contact me were not met. Eventually they contacted today with many we are sorry but ...
    I pointed out that it really wasn’t worth their while to treat customers in this way and that they should be chasing perfect evaluations if their products and fittings were worth their claims.
    They are not bothered about bad reviews, doubtless they will employ every tactic to limit their impact rather than addressing the problem. Only the bottom line seems to count...£.
    I promised them stinking reviews.
    So good luck if you are in dispute with them. Do not expect too much though in the end.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure