Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Peta63
    • By Peta63 20th Sep 19, 8:26 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Peta63
    Unknown damp/leak
    • 20th Sep 19, 8:26 AM
    Unknown damp/leak 20th Sep 19 at 8:26 AM
    Hope someone can help. I have a (very) damp patch going around my chimney breast, about a foot off the floor. Which expert do I contact to come and investigate? Many thanks
Page 1
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 20th Sep 19, 10:49 AM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 4,024 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 20th Sep 19, 10:49 AM
    • 20th Sep 19, 10:49 AM
    Hope someone can help. I have a (very) damp patch going around my chimney breast, about a foot off the floor. Which expert do I contact to come and investigate? Many thanks
    Originally posted by Peta63
    Is the fireplace bricked up ?
    Is the chimney capped at the top ?

If this is an unused fireplace that has been blocked off but not capped, then call a roofer - He should be able to fit a cap to the chimney pot and put a small vent at the base of the old fireplace.

Do not waste your time and money on one of these "free" damp surveys. They will end up advising expensive & inappropriate work that will just hide the problem.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,386Posts Today

7,940Users online

Martin's Twitter