Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • qsk
    • By qsk 19th Sep 19, 3:31 PM
    • 302Posts
    • 154Thanks
    qsk
    Strongest glue for plastic?
    • 19th Sep 19, 3:31 PM
    Strongest glue for plastic? 19th Sep 19 at 3:31 PM
    I accidentally broke into two pieces a plastic holder/hinge that supports my bathroom cupboard mirror door (about 80cmx50cm) from bottom. Does anyone know if there is a strong glue that I could use to stick them together and has strength to support the mirror door? Thanks.
Page 1
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 19th Sep 19, 3:48 PM
    • 6,632 Posts
    • 6,676 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 19th Sep 19, 3:48 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 3:48 PM
    You could try Gorilla glue but check out what sort of plastics it sticks. I have used it on some plastics around the house and for some outdoor stuff. It is very volatile and you need to use the supplied gloves to use it. Not sure I would risk it with supporting a mirror that size. Could you swap the top support for the bottom support or are they different sizes/shapes.
    • Frank99
    • By Frank99 19th Sep 19, 4:44 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Frank99
    • 19th Sep 19, 4:44 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 4:44 PM
    I glued some plastic spikes to my fence last year with Gorilla Glue and they are still there!
    Enjoy everyday like it's your last!
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 19th Sep 19, 5:36 PM
    • 7,272 Posts
    • 23,354 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 19th Sep 19, 5:36 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 5:36 PM
    You could try Gorilla glue but check out what sort of plastics it sticks. I have used it on some plastics around the house and for some outdoor stuff. It is very volatile and you need to use the supplied gloves to use it. Not sure I would risk it with supporting a mirror that size. Could you swap the top support for the bottom support or are they different sizes/shapes.
    Originally posted by Le_Kirk
    The problem I've nearly always had is telling exactly what type of plastic it is. It's usually a case of seeing whether it sticks or not, which isn't ideal.
    In any case when attempting to repair plastic, I try to put some metal pins in there to strengthen things.
    Brass panel pins are good for that with the head and point nipped off.
    Big mirror like that though ,and as you say, I wouldn't be all that happy with a repair.
    Glue is nearly always a weak point,
    • qsk
    • By qsk 20th Sep 19, 8:04 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    qsk
    • 20th Sep 19, 8:04 AM
    • 20th Sep 19, 8:04 AM
    Thanks all for the advice. The top hinge is different from bottom unfortunately. It sounds like Gorilla is the best bet but might still not be strong enough to support the mirror:-(
    • troffasky
    • By troffasky 20th Sep 19, 9:05 AM
    • 191 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    troffasky
    • 20th Sep 19, 9:05 AM
    • 20th Sep 19, 9:05 AM
    If you're lucky, the plastic parts might be stamped with some lettering that identifies what it is, eg "PS" would be polystyrene. Various bits of my fridge have these stamped on.
    • John.Wright
    • By John.Wright 23rd Sep 19, 2:56 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    John.Wright
    • 23rd Sep 19, 2:56 PM
    • 23rd Sep 19, 2:56 PM
    If it's anything plastic on plastic then I use this stuff every time. You mix the two tubes together although don't over do it, then let it set for a while with decent support holding it in place. This works for me every time and is my go to stuff. https://diy.evo-stik.co.uk/product/epoxy-rapid-tubes

Hope this helps
    • keith969
    • By keith969 23rd Sep 19, 3:32 PM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    keith969
    • 23rd Sep 19, 3:32 PM
    • 23rd Sep 19, 3:32 PM
    Uhu works well for plastic.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
    • mchale
    • By mchale 23rd Sep 19, 3:57 PM
    • 1,828 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    mchale
    • 23rd Sep 19, 3:57 PM
    • 23rd Sep 19, 3:57 PM
    try araldite
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 23rd Sep 19, 5:29 PM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    Jonesya
    Epoxy resin normally works well and being thick you can surround the joint with it.

I've tried the metal reinforcement approach, using a paperclip or thick wire to tie the parts together then bond it all solid with epoxy, fine for areas where you can't see it. Oh and most takes 24 hours or more to fully harden, even the rapid set types.
    • savemoney
    • By savemoney 23rd Sep 19, 7:33 PM
    • 13,113 Posts
    • 11,693 Thanks
    savemoney
    It really depends on the plastic. I used this recently and its worked on some plastic pots I have

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006U54GJ0
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

81Posts Today

1,925Users online

Martin's Twitter