Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 16th Sep 19, 6:57 AM
    • 652 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    bobblebob
    • 16th Sep 19, 6:57 AM
    • 16th Sep 19, 6:57 AM
    Aslong as you declared it when you applied for the visa then you should be ok. Make sure you declare it on the landing card (cant remember if they ask but tell them if they do).

You may get asked a few more questions at security on arrival tho
    • Jumblebumble
    • By Jumblebumble 18th Sep 19, 11:44 AM
    • 351 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Jumblebumble
    • 18th Sep 19, 11:44 AM
    • 18th Sep 19, 11:44 AM
    Dear all,

I am due to travel to Las Vegas shortly. In the past I had an arrest, that did not result in a conviction for drunk and disorderly.

To be safe, I applied for a VIsa. Went to the appointment, had a US Medical exam to prove that Iím not at all likely to reoffend and am not an alcohol abuser.

My visa was subsequently approved, and I now have it inside my passport.

What are the chances I get to Vegas and are denied at the border?
    Originally posted by MacQuestions
    Close to zero if you have been truthful and have return flights and enough money to live on.
    • wazza99
    • By wazza99 18th Sep 19, 7:59 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    wazza99
    • 18th Sep 19, 7:59 PM
    • 18th Sep 19, 7:59 PM
    Zero. Dont even worry, you may be asked why you have a B2 visa, be honest but concise.

Ive been travelling on a B2 for years.......only ever get asked why i have the B2 a few seconds and im off.
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 19th Sep 19, 11:43 AM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 828 Thanks
    Archergirl
    • 19th Sep 19, 11:43 AM
    • 19th Sep 19, 11:43 AM
    I would be very surprised if what you did could actually be classed as 'Moral Turpitude Would have thought the ESTA would have been OK.
    .....Moral turpitude refers generally to conduct that shocks the public conscience. Offenses such as murder, voluntary manslaughter, kidnapping, robbery, and aggravated assaults involve moral turpitude. However, assaults not involving dangerous weapons or evil intent have been held not to involve moral turpitude
    • Misty Blue
    • By Misty Blue 19th Sep 19, 1:42 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 2,550 Thanks
    Misty Blue
    • 19th Sep 19, 1:42 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 1:42 PM
    I would be very surprised if what you did could actually be classed as 'Moral Turpitude
    Originally posted by Archergirl

'Moral turpitude' is no longer mentioned on ESTA applications. The question is simply, "Have you ever been arrested or convicted for a crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority?"
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 19th Sep 19, 1:54 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    bobblebob
    • 19th Sep 19, 1:54 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 1:54 PM
    The Esta questions are a joke. They literally ask you if you are a terrorist. If you were, no one is going to tick yes are they?!
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 19th Sep 19, 5:35 PM
    • 11,192 Posts
    • 12,755 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 19th Sep 19, 5:35 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 5:35 PM
    The Esta questions are a joke. They literally ask you if you are a terrorist. If you were, no one is going to tick yes are they?!
    Originally posted by bobblebob
    I disagree. I think that those questions are there for a sensible reason.

If a visitor was arrested on suspicion of committing a terrorist act in another country and the Government tried to deport them, I'm pretty sure that they would be able to find a lawyer willing to argue their case on the basis of "no one asked my client if they were a terrorist before giving them permission to enter the country so he/she broke no laws in coming in so why should they now be deported"

However, if they ask on the ESTA form and you lie when you answer, that alone is immediate grounds to kick you out of the country.
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 19th Sep 19, 5:57 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    bobblebob
    • 19th Sep 19, 5:57 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 5:57 PM
    There are laws in place already preventing a terrorist entering a country. Similar to how the OP had to apply for a visa in person because he was arrested in his past. So whether they ask or not, its easy to refuse a known terrorist permission to enter the country based on previous criminal activity
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,334Posts Today

7,777Users online

Martin's Twitter