Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Doodler123
    • By Doodler123 22nd Aug 19, 8:01 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Doodler123
    Pawn broker problem
    • 22nd Aug 19, 8:01 PM
    Pawn broker problem 22nd Aug 19 at 8:01 PM
    Hello,
    I pawned my jewellery in 2013 for a very small amount of money as at that time I needed to pay something. Since then Iíve been unable to go and get my gold out so Iíve just continually gone in every 7 months
    And renewed my pledge, I last renewed in March 2019, and it was up for renewal again in October 2019.
    Last week I received a letter from the pawn brokers asking me to contact them, I did so and they informed me that my gold was accidentally mixed up with someone elseís and has since been scrapped, my gold held huge sentimental value to me as some of the pieces are 22 years old😓.
    The staff offered to try and match my gold from other places and replace like for like, they rang me and said to come down and see what they have managed to source so far, nothing at all like my gold apart from one sovereign - but thatís because sovereigns are pretty much all the same,
    They produced a locket that was tiny whereas my original locket was double the size of a sovereign coin, luckily in 2012 I took some pics of a few of my pieces and uploaded them on FB to show my
    Friends so I have actual pics of some of it,
    I am at a loss as to what I can do, I had an appointment at citizens advice yesterday but he couldnít help, he said thereís no guidance on the system and neither
    Him or any of his colleagues had ever dealt with this before, he suggested searching for a solicitor- any help or advice is appreciated
    Thanks in advance 🤞🏻
Page 2
    • Doodler123
    • By Doodler123 23rd Aug 19, 9:08 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Doodler123
    Lincroft
    The issue isnít my ability to pay
    Itís the fact they have got rid of my gold

I could afford the £96 but not £296
    • Doodler123
    • By Doodler123 23rd Aug 19, 9:10 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Doodler123
    Kazwookie
    Itís not a wind up

I was stuck in a position where I never had enough
    To pay the £200 plus the interest so in
    Order to make sure my gold was safe
    I just kept renewing and paying the interest

I donít need to be made to feel any worse than I do

Iím not proud of the fact I pawned it and for
    Other reasons Iíve not had any money to get
    It back out.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 23rd Aug 19, 9:15 PM
    • 4,674 Posts
    • 6,271 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Kazwookie
    Itís not a wind up

I was stuck in a position where I never had enough
    To pay the £200 plus the interest so in
    Order to make sure my gold was safe
    I just kept renewing and paying the interest

I donít need to be made to feel any worse than I do

Iím not proud of the fact I pawned it and for
    Other reasons Iíve not had any money to get
    It back out.
    Originally posted by Doodler123
    Did you mean to write your response in poetry?

What do you actually want, given that you're not going to get back the original items? Similar replacements surely won't hold the same sentimental value because, well, they're not your original items.

You need to set out - to them - what resolution you're seeking.
    • Doodler123
    • By Doodler123 23rd Aug 19, 9:19 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Doodler123
    Aylesbury duck
    I’m sure whatever you mean has gone over my head !
    I came on here to find out what people think was fair or if anyone has had this happen and what their resolution was.
    Feels like I’m being mocked slightly ��
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 23rd Aug 19, 9:35 PM
    • 4,674 Posts
    • 6,271 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    On my computer, the way your comments appear make it look as if they're written in verse. I'm not mocking you, it just looks funny.

I think your situation is probably unique so you're unlikely to get advice from people who've been through something similar.

As to what's fair, only you can decide what's acceptable to you. What do you think you'll be happy with? Tell us and you'll get opinions on whether it's reasonable.
    • Doodler123
    • By Doodler123 23rd Aug 19, 9:47 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Doodler123
    Ok apologies Aylesbury duck

Iím unsure why Iím wrong in such a way
    I think Iím pressing return so I can see what Iím saying

And I agree replacing them
    Will hold no sentimental value to me, I suppose I just want whatí Iím
    Entitled to, itís this part that Iím wanting to know

And like you say no one really has a definitive answer for me
    • zoob
    • By zoob 23rd Aug 19, 10:24 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    zoob
    Current gold price is around £39.70 per gram. 30 grams would be worth around £1,191.

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-price/gold-price-per-gram/
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Scrap Value for the gold when you pawned it in March 13 was around £1000 so start with that, retail value for your individual pieces would have being a lot more
    • Doodler123
    • By Doodler123 23rd Aug 19, 10:38 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Doodler123
    Zoob Thankyou

I am still awaiting a reply from them

They initially have 72 hours to reply from when they received my complaint
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 25th Aug 19, 9:50 PM
    • 2,894 Posts
    • 2,605 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    I have no experience of pawnbrokers (apart from what I've seen on TV) but I would expect that with relatively high value items (gold jewellery) they would give you some sort of valuation? No doubt the valuation would be low, but at least it gives the OP a starting point which they don't seem to have at the moment. (eg pawnbroker valuation plus 50% as an opener?)

OP - I presume you have no idea of the value? Did you ever get a valuation for insurance purposes before you had to pawn the gold?

I would have thought that things going astray for one reason or another was probably an occupational hazard for any pawnbroker.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 26th Aug 19, 1:58 AM
    • 3,882 Posts
    • 2,869 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    I would have thought that things going astray for one reason or another was probably an occupational hazard for any pawnbroker.
    Originally posted by Manxman in exile
    There's probably something in the pawn broker's terms and conditions about what happens when an item is lost or damaged.
    • JamoLew
    • By JamoLew 26th Aug 19, 8:36 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    JamoLew
    The pawnbroker is under and has zero obligation to resolve this UNTIL the OP pays to take the items "out of pawn"

The OP however, continues to be obliged to keep up the regular/scheduled payments and should not default by even 1 day otherwise they make the situation very easy for the pawnbrokers to resolve.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,131Posts Today

7,354Users online

Martin's Twitter