Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beverley Hillbillies
    • By Beverley Hillbillies 17th Aug 19, 10:58 AM
    • 116Posts
    • 33Thanks
    Beverley Hillbillies
    First Trenitalia from Virgin Trains
    • 17th Aug 19, 10:58 AM
    First Trenitalia from Virgin Trains 17th Aug 19 at 10:58 AM
    From 08 December this year, First Trenitalia has been awarded the West Coast franchise from Virgin trains, can any knowledgeable forum members clarify my queries please?

We're travelling to London 22nd December, normally we book well in advance with VT, can I still book with VT for this date, or do I have to book direct with First Trenitalia? (I'm unable to find a booking process)

Currently, we have a compensation offer from VT: "50% off your next purchase of Advance fares on Virgin Trains West Coast" given our travel date is post new franchise date, will this be honoured with First Trenitalia?
Page 1
    • jbuchanangb
    • By jbuchanangb 17th Aug 19, 11:26 AM
    • 438 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    jbuchanangb
    • 17th Aug 19, 11:26 AM
    • 17th Aug 19, 11:26 AM
    You can book your train with any online booking system of your choice. The tickets will be valid on the train even though it will be run by the new operator.
    To use your promotion code of course you need to book with VT.
    • Beverley Hillbillies
    • By Beverley Hillbillies 17th Aug 19, 12:51 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Beverley Hillbillies
    • 17th Aug 19, 12:51 PM
    • 17th Aug 19, 12:51 PM
    Thanks,

To use your promotion code of course you need to book with VT.
    Originally posted by jbuchanangb
    Does that mean I have to use & travel with VT before 08th December?
    • lammy82
    • By lammy82 19th Aug 19, 9:30 AM
    • 449 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    lammy82
    • 19th Aug 19, 9:30 AM
    • 19th Aug 19, 9:30 AM
    You pay when you make the booking, so if you know your travel date then book it now through the VT website with the discount and the ticket will be perfectly valid on the rebranded train.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 19th Aug 19, 1:36 PM
    • 8,380 Posts
    • 6,986 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 19th Aug 19, 1:36 PM
    • 19th Aug 19, 1:36 PM
    Are advance fares for December available now? They are usually released 12 weeks before date of travel.

Bookings are honoured after a change of franchisee. I had a Virgin East Coast ticket, but ended up on an LNER service.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 19th Aug 19, 5:12 PM
    • 7,152 Posts
    • 7,904 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 19th Aug 19, 5:12 PM
    • 19th Aug 19, 5:12 PM
    Are advance fares for December available now? They are usually released 12 weeks before date of travel.
    Originally posted by daveyjp
    It's now up to 24 weeks prior to travel.

Virgins own calendar indicates that advance fares are currently available up to 20th December, although not for all dates

https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/tickets/your-ticket/ways-to-save
    (Click on the cross at the bottom right of the grey box on the left hand side of he page to get the calendar up)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,355Posts Today

6,037Users online

Martin's Twitter