home insurance cancelled by insurer

Options
Hi
I had my Home insurance cancelled by the insurer when my renewals came up and I noticed that the subsidence to my conservatory was not showing in the list of things that need to be declared.
The renewal was this year in Feb 2019 but the insurance year which did not have the information about the subsidence was 2018-19. I had declared this in previous years so unsure how this suddenly disappeared.
It was me that noticed AND the one who told the insurer of this but yet I was penalised for this.
Problem I believe is that when I went to the comparison sites for a quote I had declared but when this information is passed to the insure, it is not passing on all the information and I made the mistake of not checking this properly. My mistake yes but you would expect the comparison site to have passed this kind of information on.

It bothers me that had I just not renewed with them and moved to another insurer I may not be having this issue.

Clearly honest was not the best policy in this situation.

So my main concerns are:
Will this affect other insurance policies like Car insurance or Life insurance etc?
Is it too late to appeal considering the insurer was only made aware by ME and they should taken that into consideration.

Some advice and help please.

Thanks,

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    If the question asks about "any" insurance policy cancelled then you would have to disclose it. (You won't have to for Life insurance)

Otherwise you will only have to disclose it if you are asked about having a home insurance policy

Always worth trying to get a cancellation removed (they remain on your record otherwise)
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I believe it's always been the case that you should stay with the original insurer where any subsidence claims have been made. This is because most insurance companies abide by a code of honour that they will continue to offer continuous insurance on the property.

Too many insurance companies just won't accept new customers where there's been a subsidance claim, or will have a horrendous premium price to take you on. So it really can be false economy trying to find a new insurer in these circumstances.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    cattie wrote: »
    I believe it's always been the case that you should stay with the original insurer where any subsidence claims have been made. This is because most insurance companies abide by a code of honour that they will continue to offer continuous insurance on the property.

Too many insurance companies just won't accept new customers where there's been a subsidance claim, or will have a horrendous premium price to take you on. So it really can be false economy trying to find a new insurer in these circumstances.

However the current insurer can also make it difficult by hiking the price so much
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Balagarsamy23
    Options
    I actually asked the insurer at the time of the subsidence claim after about 3 years later if I could move to another insurer since my premiums year on year kept increasing. They advised yes I could if I wanted which is why I did. I also updated my quotes with the dates of the claim with all relevant info and noticed premiums slowly reducing. But then made this mistake and now having to see how I can get this cancellation reversed.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Was it actually a subsidence claim that you succesfully made for a conservatory ?

Or was it just that the conservatory was not build very well and subsided, so you had it repaired.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Balagarsamy23
    Options
    Subsidence due to trees in protected bird sanctuary owned by council.
  • Balagarsamy23
    Options
    But question is can I have the decision made to cancel my insurance reviewed and how long from when it was cancelled to when I can have this rechecked?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 19 August 2019 at 1:16PM
    Options

It bothers me that had I just not renewed with them and moved to another insurer I may not be having this issue.

You say that this cancellation happened when you renewed

If that was the case, then presumably the insurer already knew about your subsidence when you originally set up the policy and there should have been no need to disclose it at each renewal

If that's the scenario then you look to have grounds for complaint over the cancellation

A complaint can be made now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport