Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 29th Dec 18, 7:41 AM
    • 12,041Posts
    • 84,143Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again
    • 29th Dec 18, 7:41 AM
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again 29th Dec 18 at 7:41 AM
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies (And Gents - if are are reading along).

Are you ready to start the New Year with a sparkle in your eye and a spring in your footsteps or are you feeling a little jaded, a little worse for wear, a tad sad and neglected.

Do you feel invisible. Does the face that stares back at you from the mirror seem like a stranger to you.

Just who is that tired old lady looking back out at you.

In short, have you become a Frump!!!

Well fret ye not, salvation is at hand.

Join our merry gang and make this the year you transform yourself.

Ditch the Frump and become the Fabulous Woman you know you can be.

And have some fun along the way.

The Story So Far.......

I have been looking back and I was astonished to discover that the First Frump to Fab thread began in 2011. Wow.

Tempus Fugit and all that.

Am I fabulous yet. Almost.

How did it all begin.

Well one day my son took a photo of me in an unguarded moment. I took one look and burst into tears. Who was that old hag, that strange woman who looked like a bag lady. That couldn't be me. So I ran upstairs and took a good hard look in a full length mirror.

Yes, dear reader, it was me.

I stopped snivelling and faced the truth. I was a mess. I resolved then and there to do something about it. I didn't know what that something was because at the time I was caring for my terminally ill husband and staring bankruptcy in the face.

I was exhausted, I looked terrible and if I'm honest, I felt desperate. I didn't know what I was going to do, or where to begin so I started the first Frump to Fab thread as a diary to spur me on and keep me motivated.

And the rest is history.

My life is truly unrecognisable from that day. And I am not the same woman.

I look better, feel better, my finances are better. I AM better.

Not quite Goddess standard yet but getting there and working towards being fabulous and having a fabulous life.

So......if you want to "Change Your Stars" then join our merry gang.

Let's make 2019 the best one yet.

And......more Importantly, let's have some fun along the way.

One Golden Rule Please.

Be kind to one another.

Please do not be harsh or judgemental to others. None of us is perfect. It doesn't matter how we became Frumps what matters is how we are going to reclaim our looks, our energy, our joire de vie.

The past is the past and why we became Frumps is no longer relevant. It doesn't matter how we got here, what matters is how we move forward.

We are all here because we want to make things better. We want to look attractive, some of us might want to improve our health and fitness. All of us on here aspire to being the best we can be. So let's support each other.

For the Newbies, the Lurkers and as a refresher course for our regular members ......

I have posted the new thread earlier this year to give us some time to reflect and decide exactly what we want to achieve next year. Time to set goals, time for some strategic planning.

Over the next few days, in true MSE fashion, myself and our regulars will be talking about some simple easy and FREE steps you can make as you prepare to start as your journey to Fabdom.

So Welcome Everyone.

Let's get this show on the road.....

Let's Rock!!!!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 03-04-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Page 96
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 14th Jul 19, 7:48 AM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 21,327 Thanks
    FrankieM
    A shift dress suits me too silasaver it seems to not draw too much attention to my lumps and bumps.

I'm still going to the brunch this morning LL but I think you're right, you have to choose the events that suit you best and not get caught up in going to something just for the sake of it.

anyway, I'll let you know how it goes

Many moons ago, when I was thinking about what my plans were and what I wanted to achieve, my go - to phrase was to be 'fit & healthy'.

This meant ( for me):

Physically
    Mentally
    Spiritually
    Environmentally
    Financially

I still stand by these and still see this as my 'mission statement'

Unfortunately, I struggle with small steps and I'm very all or nothing, but I just wanted to remind myself on here, that this is a life long lifestyle, not a goal to achieve and then that's it.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 14th Jul 19, 8:47 AM
    • 12,041 Posts
    • 84,143 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Great mission statement, pretty much same as mine.

Isn't it funny how we seem to be going back to wearing dresses more often. Like you Silva after years in corporate dress I drifted into practically living in jeans. Now I really am bored with them and I'm building up a nice selection of dresses, skirts and "proper" trousers.

Silva.....one of my "mission statement" plans for this winter is to start sewing again. I used to make nearly all my clothes when I was a teenager.....fancied myself as Derby's answer to Mary Quant. Having sons rather than daughters to sew for I got out of the habit. I am bit rusty so I'm thinking I will go to a sewing class.

Right back to work.....
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 14th Jul 19, 11:28 AM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 12,632 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

LL, thank you for your concern. I am still in pain with my Arthritis and my wisdom tooth, but both are at manageable levels with painkillers

I am looking forward to my next holiday in 2020 as my sister H and I are planning on being even more adventurous with our choice of Country and luxury resort. I want even more pampering next year than I had in Jamaica

I love Karaoke and dancing, but at the moment, I need at least 2 rest days in between days or evenings out, as I am also more tired than I normally feel

I am still getting on with my healthy eating. When I am tempted to snack on things like crisps, I go upstairs and take a look at my 2 gorgeous Coast dresses and change my mind and eat a healthy snack like fruit. As my daughter lives with me, there are always tempting snacks available, as she enjoys eating them in moderation with balanced meals. It would not be fair to force her not to eat the things she enjoys eating when she is not overweight and eats across all of the food groups. My influence means that her favourite drink is bottled water. She does not enjoy eating salad but does not moan when I serve her a salad for a meal.

I have been doing a lot of TV watching and reading as I am spending more time at home at the moment. I have read 5 books in less than 2 weeks and really enjoyed each of them.

My younger son decided to cook a pasta and chicken bake yesterday, but realised in the end that he was being too ambitious considering his limited cooking skills. He was asking me for advice by text, so in the end I told him to come home with all of the ingredients and I would help him. It turned out really good. My son and daughter had dinner from the pasta bake and there was still enough for 5 good sized portions. I put 4 portions into plastic microwave containers for my son to take home and kept the 5th portion for my lunch today.
    • melodyladygunslinger
    • By melodyladygunslinger 14th Jul 19, 12:52 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    melodyladygunslinger
    Hi everyone

Thankyou to everyone for the lovely messages and welcomes☺

I've had a very up and down week this week, currently feeling very low.

Ive had the week off to spend time with my husband and daughter so we've been to Warwick Castle, Sea Life Centre and just had a really lovely family week😊

However, on the weight/anxiety front its not been good. I have tried to eat a bit more, small and often, as I have had hardly any energy and I'm sleeping too much which is not good. I weighed myself this morning and I've gained 3lbs so now I'm only just under 20st so I'm very upset. I've just tried to have some lunch and I can't eat it as i feel sick and can't help hating myself for gaining weight again so nothing tastes right

I'm sorry for the low post but I hope everyone on here are having a lovely Sunday😊
    Sealed Pot Challenge #126 SPC 2019 424.00
    Weight Loss Goal To Lose: 112LB
    Weight Loss So Far: 22LB
    Weight Still To Go: 90LB
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 14th Jul 19, 1:02 PM
    • 12,041 Posts
    • 84,143 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Oh dear, Melody.

So sorry to hear you are feeling so down in the dumps, especially after your lovely week off.

Just an idea and dismiss it out of hand if you wish, I won't be offended. However, would it be worth you joining a slimming club. I did, and so did Maman, others on here also but they have dispensed with the weekly meeting and have joined online.

I have to confess the idea of slimming clubs doesnt really appeal to me, but heres the thing.....they do work. It does seem easier when you have that moral support, expert knowledge and guidance to help you along.
    • melodyladygunslinger
    • By melodyladygunslinger 14th Jul 19, 1:15 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    melodyladygunslinger
    Oh dear, Melody.

So sorry to hear you are feeling so down in the dumps, especially after your lovely week off.

Just an idea and dismiss it out of hand if you wish, I won't be offended. However, would it be worth you joining a slimming club. I did, and so did Maman, others on here also but they have dispensed with the weekly meeting and have joined online.

I have to confess the idea of slimming clubs doesnt really appeal to me, but heres the thing.....they do work. It does seem easier when you have that moral support, expert knowledge and guidance to help you along.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    Thankyou for the advice lessonlearned I have done weightwatchers in the past but the group sessions made me feel worse or I was ignored. I didn't realise I could do it online though and not have to go to the meetings. I may have a look at slimming world instead of WW though☺

I think one of my (many) problems is that I can't help comparing myself to others. I'm happy for them that they have lost the weight they want but inside I'm thinking of how awful I have done. It doesnt help when, for example, my work colleagues start talking about losing weight as they want to be a size 8 instead of a 10 and I'm sitting there in my size 24 clothes wishing I could have those same problems.

I'm sorry if I'm bringing the group down with my negativity😢
    Sealed Pot Challenge #126 SPC 2019 424.00
    Weight Loss Goal To Lose: 112LB
    Weight Loss So Far: 22LB
    Weight Still To Go: 90LB
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Jul 19, 2:57 PM
    • 3,435 Posts
    • 24,383 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm having a pampering session tonight in the bath.

I'm going to the dentist tomorrow to pick up my whitening trays.

I'm going to wear my new (chazzer) black short dress and red vest top I bought last week and my vintage red necklace when I pick the trays up.

A shift dress suits me too silasaver it seems to not draw too much attention to my lumps and bumps.
    Originally posted by FrankieM
    I like shift dresses too, I think they are very flattering. What store do you buy yours from?

I think one of my (many) problems is that I can't help comparing myself to others. I'm happy for them that they have lost the weight they want but inside I'm thinking of how awful I have done. It doesnt help when, for example, my work colleagues start talking about losing weight as they want to be a size 8 instead of a 10 and I'm sitting there in my size 24 clothes wishing I could have those same problems.
    Originally posted by melodyladygunslinger
    I have that problem too. I have a very obsessive mind and I find it very easy to just daydream about how I compare to other people.

It's been 20 years since I left university this year and I haven't kept in touch with people I knew there. For some reason I keep imagining what people I knew back then are doing now. I keep imagining people are all very successful and rich.

It's quite ridiculous as I have no information to go on and I don't even know why I would care anyway!

I have started doing mindfulness/meditation exercises again as I find that helps me stop the obsessive thoughts. Maybe worth a try? You can find lots of audio exercises online for free.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • maman
    • By maman 14th Jul 19, 3:22 PM
    • 20,674 Posts
    • 122,850 Thanks
    maman
    I'm sorry if I'm bringing the group down with my negativity😢
    Originally posted by melodyladygunslinger
    Don't worry about that melody, we've all been there at one time or another. Just keep posting.

I've had great success with SW although I don't think that the online version is great value for money from what I've been told. Some people join for the minimum period and then when they've got their heads around how the healthy eating plan works they go it alone. There's a brilliant thread on here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6020146

It's completely supportive and the earliest posts explain roughly how it all works. Take a look and you'd be very welcome to join in.

Glad to hear you're still fabbing Frankie even if the eating/cooking has gone a bit awry. I'm sure a mixture of HM ready meals and those bought in has to be the way to go for midweek meals. Or something really simple and quick like stir fries.

It is hard to keep to healthy eating when there are snacks in the house sugarbaby. Using your gorgeous new dresses as motivation is a brilliant idea. Have you and your sister decided where you're going for your next holiday yet?

I find that most of my fabbing is maintenance silva. When I started out there was so much to do but now I've established various routines that I stick to. They've become my new 'normal'. This is both the treatments that I have regularly (hair, feet, nails, eyebrows) and the things I do at home (mostly skincare and wardrobe planning).

I'm another that used to do a fair bit of dressmaking LL. When I was starting off in my career I made any number of skirts both pencil ones for work and less formal ones for weekend wear plus dresses both for daytime and occasions.

I've looked again at photos of Jennifer Scott Wednesday and it's hard to judge just how old she is. I think I was assuming she was fairly young because she talked of wearing that hideous outfit to take her children swimming so I assumed she was a youngish mum.

I had a good time dancing last night. It was very humid so quite tiring especially as I've had the best part of a month off. I managed to keep going though.

Restful day today. I've done yet more ironing (almost finished) and we'll have a nice roast later before I settle down to Poldark. I've read all the Winston Graham books and as an adaptation, the series isn't bad. While I was ironing I've been listening to an 'audio book' on the BBC Sounds App. It's actually a serial from Radio 4 years ago called East Lynn by Mrs Henry Wood. It has an implausible plot and would have been sensational in it's time. It's a bit Jane Austen meets Vanity Fair but gentle and enjoyable.

Still bright and warm here. Hope you're all having a good weekend.
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 14th Jul 19, 3:47 PM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 21,327 Thanks
    FrankieM
    wednesday I get mine from Dorothy Perkins. I picked up a few in the online sale and love them.
    • savingfortomorrow
    • By savingfortomorrow 14th Jul 19, 6:59 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 5,564 Thanks
    savingfortomorrow
    Frankie- shift dress are lovely as you can dress them up and down. So versatile and a style classic that allows you to keep it a few seasons.

sugar - I bet your son was proud of the pasta bake. It’s great when a learner cook gets smiles and empty plates.

Melody- it might be worthwhile speaking to the doctor if you are feeling so tired and ill. It could be a thyroid issue or infection brewing. Sometimes a check up can make the world of difference. It can be difficult dealing with anxiety and it can affect digestive systems. Each process of change is difficult but it’s easier with a little support.

I agree with you that i find it difficult measuring upto others as really we just focus on how others do. It is easier to plot your own path. Maybe an online group, I have realized that everyone has thier own battle some people are in control of finances, relationships, career, ect but everyone has something that they feel is not perfect. No one has everything- but it is human nature to compare ourselves to others. Its hard to just to focus on you only.

I have spent a relaxing weekend tidying and finishing diy projects. I did some gardening and lots of laundry. Preparing for the week ahead. Ive been eating healthly and drinking more water. Small steps in the right direction. .
    • chanie
    • By chanie 14th Jul 19, 8:34 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 12,959 Thanks
    chanie
    Hi fabbers,

I haven’t posted in a while as I have been really busy with work and stuff but have been keeping up with the thread.

My plans are taken up with holiday prep, as we go to Greece next week. We have only just started packing as we bought new suitcases today. We tend to pack lightly so it shouldn’t take too long. We will be spending next weekend finishing our packing, sorting out the house and pre holiday fabbing. I’m getting my roots done plus getting defuzzed. I like to get waxed before I go away, but this means I spend the build up to my holiday really hairy, which is a nightmare given the recent warm weather as it means I have to keep covered up.
    2019 savings on purchases 3951.35
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 15th Jul 19, 7:19 AM
    • 3,435 Posts
    • 24,383 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Many moons ago, when I was thinking about what my plans were and what I wanted to achieve, my go - to phrase was to be 'fit & healthy'.

This meant ( for me):

Physically
    Mentally
    Spiritually
    I was thinking about this last night when I couldn't sleep and I think it is a good way of looking at it.

I am going to try and hit these personal goals everyday.

Emotional health:

I'm going to carry on with the meditation morning and evening as it does quiet down my mind.

I'm going to stop checking my mobile phone after 9pm at night. I'm going to be strict with myself.

Mental:

I'm going to read at least one chapter of a book a day.

I used to read a few books a week (!) but it fell by the wayside after I started doing the Neuro Linguistic Programming last autumn.

Physical:

Exercise everyday. I'm going to take the long way round to the dentist this morning so that will be one hour of walking today.

I'm going to commit to having a green smoothie each morning.

wednesday I get mine from Dorothy Perkins. I picked up a few in the online sale and love them.
    Oh, okay. I will look there.

My plans are taken up with holiday prep, as we go to Greece next week.
    Originally posted by chanie
    Ooh, nice.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 15th Jul 19, 8:39 AM
    • 12,041 Posts
    • 84,143 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning lovely ladies

Im another one who couldn't sleep last night. I am shattered this morning. Definitely time for a few quiet at home days. Also a lot of pain, muscle aches and joint pains, so will need to rest more. Hey ho. Not the end of the world. There are plenty of people far worse off than me. I consider myself blessed and fortunate.

Some great plans there Wednesday. I too need to make a few changes in my daily routines, including more (gentle) exercise and definitely reducing screen time, especially in the evenings.

A lot of photos were taken yesterday.I hate having my photo taken, I truly am so unphotogenic but I have to admit the camera doesn't lie. I do look tired at the moment. Another thing I've noticed is that photos are a better yardstick than a mirror for how a garment looks. Yesterday's trousers didn't particularly flatter, they are now TOO BIG. they can go. .

MELODY........sounds like an online group would suit you best. Like Maman says maybe just join for a few weeks, to set you on the right path. Then you can go it alone when you feel confident you know what you are doing. There is a SW thread on here you could join up with for extra support.

My preferred choice was WW but that's just me. I don't think it really matters, I think it's the support of others that really seems to help encourage and motivate. I started a WW support group because there wasn't one and I've found it very helpful, just as this thread was my lifesaver when I was at my lowest ebb.

Re the "what other people think" bit. I think many of us can relate to worrying about how others see us but one thing I've learned is that no one really cares. I don't mean this in a nasty way.....it's just that most people have enough on their plates and are busy worrying about their own lives. The fact is, this comparison thing, is just in our own heads. Senseless self torture really. The good news is as you get older you find you don't really care quite so much......lol.

I seem to be one of life's communicators.......it comes naturally to me, and for decades, getting people to talk was part of my job. And if I say so myself I am actually a good listener. I can read body language and pick up on silent unspoken clues. I do find people open up to me and tell me their stories. I have been very humbled at times.

Also spending so much time caring for my husband, then managing my parents care, I spent a lot of time (too much) hanging around hospitals, doctors waiting rooms, and nursing homes talking to both patients and relatives. I learned some very valuable lessons from that time, the principal one being that nearly everyone has a burden to carry, a cross to bear, or a secret sadness that they have to live with.

The reality is, sooner or later, we all have to deal with sadness, heartache, emotional pain. Alas none of us is immune, no one escapes. It's the price we pay for living and loving. And the big reality is, most people are so wrapped up in their own concerns they really don't stop to judge others.

Yes, you do get the odd "hater" - both online and in real life - but, generally, I find people to be kind, generous of spirit and warm hearted. Even the grumpy ones, once you get to know them.

I know it's perhaps easier to say than do, but try not to worry so much about what you think other people may or may not be thinking about you, because the truth is, they probably aren't. They are most likely too busy just trying to get through the day......with their own worries, problems, joys and sadness, highs and lows.

Re the haters........I am a great believer in Karma...believe me when I say this but I have seen it so often. Everyone gets their just desserts in the end. The universe definitely does repay.

I don't know how many of you will remember "Sistergate" and the way my sister treated me after the death of both my husband and our parents. I won't rehash it all and I won't dwell on what has happened in her life since then. It gives me no pleasure and I have no feelings of schaudenfraude, only pity, but the fact is she is now reaping what she has sown.

Life has a way of repaying........I firmly believe we get back what we put in. Its all about balance.

Chanie.....your holiday sounds great. Not long now.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 15-07-2019 at 8:57 AM.
    • maman
    • By maman 15th Jul 19, 10:00 AM
    • 20,674 Posts
    • 122,850 Thanks
    maman
    Quick post to wish chanie a lovely holiday when it comes.

I'm feeling stressed this morning. I just seem to have lots to do. So the best thing is to get off here and get on with it!!
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 15th Jul 19, 11:47 AM
    • 12,041 Posts
    • 84,143 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    My big idea
    But first........

Just had an antique dealer round to give me some valuations. As suspected he advised me to hold on to the porcelain and pottery, because the market for those isn't that great at the moment. Same with the coins, stamps etc.

I'll save them for my progeny.....they will increase in value over time and they don't take up much room.

I did sell some broken bits of jewellery and some old tat for 175. Every little helps.

Anyway....my big idea.

Here's the plan.

Carpet fitter coming tomorrow to fit the back bedroom.

I have decided it will make a lovely treatment room so I am going to resurrect my therapy business - just part time, maybe a couple of days a week. I still have my couch and equipment so I don't need to spend a fortune to set up. I have a pretty chandelier, a lovely big mirror and some nice artwork so I can dress it nicely and make it into a comfortable and relaxing space.

Am aiming to get it up and running sometime in the autumn. Fingers crossed. If it doesn't take off then I've lost nothing. Wish me luck.....

Right just nipping out to Asda for a few bits. I have to be back for the window man to give me a quote to replace a couple of windows that are single glazed. Need to winterise this house.

Hopefully get the grass cut later. I have found out why the grass was dying........prior to the last owner laying down turf there was a lovely Japanese style garden. Her lazy good for nothing cowboy gardener simply chucked a bit of topsoil down on top of the existing weed control material and gravel and then laid the turf. It was ok for a couple of years but obviously the soil is now depleted of nutrients, hence the lawn dying. I gave it some fertiliser and reseed the bare patches. It looks a bit better but it won't thrive long term.

So next year I will hopefully be reinstating a Japanese style garden. At least stripping the turf will be easy.....you can just pull it out with your bare hands. I'll hire a turf stripper though because it's a big lawn.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 15-07-2019 at 11:51 AM.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 15th Jul 19, 2:24 PM
    • 3,435 Posts
    • 24,383 Thanks
    Wednesday2000

Anyway....my big idea.

Here's the plan.

Carpet fitter coming tomorrow to fit the back bedroom.

I have decided it will make a lovely treatment room so I am going to resurrect my therapy business - just part time, maybe a couple of days a week. I still have my couch and equipment so I don't need to spend a fortune to set up. I have a pretty chandelier, a lovely big mirror and some nice artwork so I can dress it nicely and make it into a comfortable and relaxing space.

Am aiming to get it up and running sometime in the autumn. Fingers crossed. If it doesn't take off then I've lost nothing. Wish me luck.....
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    Good luck!
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 15th Jul 19, 3:40 PM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 12,632 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

Chanie
    I hope you and your family have a fabulous holiday.

Melody use this thread to talk about the problems you are encountering with trying to lose weight and any other problems you are living through. We will all be able to support you and offer you advise from our own experience.

Can I advise you to buy a few cheap A5 notebooks to use as a food diary. I find writing down every single thing that I eat and drink is really helpful for making sure that I stay on track with healthy eating also it stops me from forgetting about any snacks I eat throughout any given day. All our memories are fallible, so writing it all down really helps me. I find that when I have a day when all I want to do is eat, I will do a lot of snacking between my breakfast, lunch and dinner, but because I have to look at what I am eating throughout each day written down, I will force myself to settle for healthier snacks and meal choices. I do have days when I eat exactly what I want because I get tired of eating quite a limited diet, but the next day I will get back to healthier eating.

Also when I inevitably stray from healthy eating and seem to gain a few pounds in weight seemingly overnight, I can then look back over the past few weeks and easily identify where I have gone wrong with my eating and snacking.

Melody
    try not to feel guilty about eating. You need food from all of the food groups, we all do regardless of our shape and weight. Your metabolism works best when you are eating. Can you try drinking water rather than milk which unless it is skimmed is quite calorific and does not make the best meal substitute.

I had to introduce as much vegetables and fruit into my daily diet as possible, as these foods are great for my body, taste good and are very versatile. I am currently trying to eat 7 salads a week again for lunches and dinners, as I find it a very easy way to ensure that half of my meals are very healthy. I only eat breakfast of a cup of tea and 2 slices of wholemeal toast every morning, because I know how important a meal breakfast is in kick starting my metabolism every day. I did not eat breakfast for 20 years plus before I became a Healthy Eating Project Co-Ordinator many years ago and discovered all the ways in which I was not eating or drinking a healthy balanced diet.

I am obese and losing weight is going to be a long journey for me, but I intend to persevere until I am at the lower end of being overweight. I do not want to get down to my so called ideal weight as I feel that would make me far too thin. I have various health issues, I am 57 years old and I do not want to be walking around looking gaunt or unwell.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 15th Jul 19, 4:03 PM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 12,632 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Maman my sister and I have not yet chosen our holiday destination, we will choose and book in January 2020 most likely.
    • maman
    • By maman 15th Jul 19, 4:20 PM
    • 20,674 Posts
    • 122,850 Thanks
    maman
    Good luck with your venture LL. I think that the fact you have most of the equipment and you're having the room decorated anyway, as part of your renovations, means there will be little extra outlay. Do keep us posted on how you plan to decorate the room. I think it makes such a difference to having a treatment in lovely surroundings.

I think the food diary is a great idea sugarbaby. It's like doing a spending diary. the facility to review works really well. Personally I write a week's meal plan in advance with a shopping list. The weekly plan is just for dinners and the list has ingredients for breakfasts and lunches. Then, every morning I write a plan for each day as I often have leftovers for my lunches. I tend to eat more vegetables than salads and deliberately cook extra because I love bubble & squeak for lunch with some cold meat.

I find those height/weight charts a good guide for choosing an ideal weight. But you're right and too thin can look awful. I know when I'm getting a bit too thin as my arms start to look scraggy.

I well remember 'sistergate' LL. From what I've read recently, life is a lot better for you mixing with your immediate family and friends. It's her loss but the relationship was toxic so you did well to distance yourself. You acted honourably and she has to live with her conscience and the consequences.

The ironing mountain is no more! Most of it was from our holiday as, because the weather is still so good, we're still wanting to wear the lightweight clothes. I'm also closer to making a few final decisions on the bathroom. We've decided to have full tiling and a patterned vinyl floor and I've chosen a light fitting. The supplier is getting me swatches of colour for the cabinets which should be here by the end of the week as I think my original choice (what I'd seen in the showroom) was too dark. Now all we need to do is pin the plumber down to a start date. I had a pedicure with red toenails. I decided against a manicure and painting my fingers as my nails are very short at the moment and they need some care and to grow a bit. I know I take more care of them when they're not painted IYKWIM.

So quite a productive day and now I've achieved a few things that I wanted to do I'm not feeling stressed. Sitting in the massage chair for my pedicure helped too. You've reminded me though Wednesday that I should try and start a new book. Maybe later although I hope I sleep better tonight. I think it's the muggy heat.
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 16th Jul 19, 5:18 AM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 21,327 Thanks
    FrankieM
    I'm so very tired at the moment.

wednesday what meditation do you use? I'm wondering if I need to find something to still my mind...

Went to the meetup on Sunday and it was okay.

There were 5 of us and 1 lady in particular who was quite a talker, which is fine but it leaves no space for those of us not that way inclined naturally. lol

But everyone was very nice and I'd go to something again, but it needs to not be on a school night cause I'm just too tired at the moment.

Back on with the food, writing it down and I'm upping my water intake.

At some point I'll start some exercise, but just one thing at once.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

255Posts Today

2,170Users online

Martin's Twitter