Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 July 2019 at 12:03AM
    Good evening lovely ladies.....

Sugarbaby....sorry to hear you are still in pain, hopefully it will ease off soon. Good that you can still dance though.;) Your new dresses sound gorgeous. And wow, your holiday plans sound amazing.

Frankie....Did you go to the meet up.....if so, how was it.

Well I went to the curry night tonight, it was lovey. Had a great evening. Whilst there I was invited out tomorrow night.....in the spirit of my new openness to opportunity I said "YES". :rotfl: that means I will have been out for 8 consequetive days or evenings in a row. Unheard of for me......very tiring but worth it. Great fun.

I am thoroughly enjoying my "staycation". :rotfl:

SFT. I'm with you on the not wanting to restrict to 10 items. Even project 33 would be a nonstarter for me. I too love having lots of choice. I do have a lot of clothes but I look after them. They last me for years. I will happily keep my favourites until they practically drop to bits. I only culled the last lot because they were far too big and would have been difficult to alter.

Bought a load of plants today so a gardening day tomorrow.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'm off out tonight to Hammersmith in London.:) I'm going to wear my New Look black strappy mini dress, black cardigan, black leggings and black and gold sandals with my new Melie Bianco black tote bag.

I just got tickets to see Liam Gallagher at the O2 in November. Well, my husband got them for me actually.:p:D
    I wonder how practical the 10 items are to wear in and out. I would be wondering if the modern quality of clothes could withstand that amount of laundry and wearing. I think the seems would fray, bobbling of material and just worn out.

I have lived on a small wardrobe for weeks on end on secondment with work and its so difficult to manage on a small number of clothes because the weather changes so much. In addition getting it dried and cleaned with such a fast turnaround would lead me to think that small loads of washing would be very energy intensive.

The heavy wear of an item will cause you to get sick of it anf items will have a shorter time of use. I think you need at least 50 items to really function and be practical as anything else will cause real difficulty.

It seems like she buys quite high quality clothing mainly and changes the 10 item wardrobe with each season. She adds completer pieces (I think she calls them) so it isn't strictly 10 items, that is just the basis.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It seems like she buys quite high quality clothing mainly and changes the 10 item wardrobe with each season. She adds completer pieces (I think she calls them) so it isn't strictly 10 items, that is just the basis.

Have a good evening Wednesday.:)

I guessed that the 10 items must be of reasonable quality. I've yet to look at the link but I will. I wonder if we were to list what we actually wear from our wardrobes over, say, a month how many 'main' items we actually wear.

Although I agree sft that the weather is a big influencer in this country. Having been in predictable hot weather for a few weeks I realise just how easy it is to put an outfit together. Because of luggage allowance I'd limited the number of pairs of shoes I took so most outfits were just a dress, shoes and underwear!

Glad to hear you're well enough to get back to karaoke sugarbaby. That's a great list of songs. I heard Adele singing that live at the O2. Brilliant!

https://www.bing.com/search?q=adele+make+me+feel+my+love&form=EDNTHB&mkt=en-gb&httpsmsn=1&plvar=0&refig=54d428d4d82e49f2e38c9afca345e9ea&PC=DCTS&sp=1&qs=AS&pq=adele+make+me+f&sc=8-15&cvid=54d428d4d82e49f2e38c9afca345e9ea&cc=GB&setlang=en-US

I did treat myself to a new dress this week.

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-linen-scoop-back-handkerchief-hem-dress/black/p4025872

Not cheap, cheap but I liked it a month ago and decided to get it. It's not going to date and will be ideal for holidays and at home.

I've decided that my new favourite treatment is tinted eyebrows!:D I had my eyebrows waxed on Tuesday and this time I had the tint a bit darker. It's a good contrast with my very blonde hair at the moment. :) I called into my hairdresser and had my fringe trimmed too so that should be OK for a few weeks. Manicure and pedicure planned for next week.

I'm still trying to lose the few pounds I gained on holiday. :( I'm more or less back to eating normally at home but I seem to have lots of invitations to eat out. It's great fun but not great for my waistline! I empathise LL!:D
  • lessonlearned
    edited 13 July 2019 at 11:40AM
    Good morning lovely ladies

Well after a fabulous week of gadding about, I am now looking forward to a few quiet days, although I'm hosting a casual supper party tonight and then it's my grandsons 1st birthday party tomorrow.

I do have a mountain of stuff to catch up on, but am looking forward to getting back into the gardening and diy. Bought a load of plants so will make a start today. It's not too hot, currently a bit overcast so perfect planting weather. I'll get cracking after a cup of coffee. :rotfl: I have already been for a short walk and am aiming to try some yoga later.

Have booked a massage for Tuesday, dentist next Friday and need to book things like eye test, chiropodist etc for the next couple of weeks.

Time for a bit of a mini personal MOT. :rotfl:

I am pleased to say I have already lost 1lb of my 2lb "holiday" weight gain and am now back firmly in the WW groove.

Checked my BMI and it's now back down to a more healthy 25 and I am no longer classed as overweight, but am now at the top end of the "healthy" range for my height. I am aiming to lose between another half to 1 stone, then I'll see how I look and feel. Final goal date is Christmas. Should be achievable.

Maman.....going back to our discussion of mutton dressed as lamb. Getting out and about more in the evenings, especially in and around the city centre, I have really had an opportunity to people watch. And OMG some of the sights.......

Last night though took the biscuit.......there was a woman of shall we say a "certain age" and she looked terrible. Obviously trying to look young but talk about inappropriate dressing.

I don't know if it was fake tan or sunbed but she was the colour of Madge from Benidorm, her skin was like leather. Her hair was long, bleached peroxide and looked like straw, (badly) tattooed eyebrows, nails like talons, far too much make up, but it was the dress that really put the nail in the coffin. She was poured Into a black lace number, far too small and tight, plunging neckline, boobs hanging out, backless, sleeveless and indecently short (horrible legs of course) with unkempt feet like pigs trotters squeezed into cheap plastic strappy high heeled slingback sandals she could only totter about on.

I know I know, I'm being unkind but honestly she looked like a cheap low rent drag queen, the sort you might find in a seedy nightclub of ill repute.

What possesses them.......definitely not a look to be emulated.

I did meet some more normally dressed women though......and some of the guys were nicely turned out. :rotfl:

Anyway hope you all have a lovely weekend......

Keeep fabbing.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I know I know, I'm being unkind but honestly she looked like a cheap low rent drag queen, the sort you might find in a seedy nightclub of ill repute.

Love it!!:rotfl:

I know we've all decided on a look that suits us individually which may or may not be to everyone's taste but how can someone dress like that and be pleased.:eek:

I did look at the website Wednesday. I found a clip with 5 items to start with. personally I found some of the outfits a bit mumsy and very safe for such a young woman. Her swimming outfit was very conservative (long sleeved top and skirt) and I began to wonder if she was Mormon or had other religious reasons for covering up.

I'm going dancing again tonight. I plan to wear my green, sleeveless dress with the broderie anglaise hem. That's been a good buy. It was £25 in a sale and I've worn it loads of times including to a summer wedding.

Before that I'm going to take a few more steps up the ironing mountain!!:D I've had a few false starts this week as both times I tried to tackle it I was saved by visitors!:D

Warm, dry but a bit overcast here. Hope you all have a good Saturday.:)
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I had such a good time at the comedy thing last night. :A

I got another compliment about looking younger than my age. The guy I was with was saying that he works with a woman who is 5 years older than me and he was saying that she looks about 15 years older than I do. He said how well I have aged.:)
    maman wrote: »
    I did look at the website Wednesday. I found a clip with 5 items to start with. personally I found some of the outfits a bit mumsy and very safe for such a young woman. Her swimming outfit was very conservative (long sleeved top and skirt) and I began to wonder if she was Mormon or had other religious reasons for covering up.

Young woman?:eek: I would say she is older than me.:rotfl:

I don't like all her outfits, especially not the flowery or patterned stuff. I like the idea behind it of having a capsule wardrobe.

I do tend to wear the same outfits for some reason. I wonder if it because I wore a school uniform for so long. I would like to have all outfits that I really like and I haven't at the moment as my weight keeps changing and I keep having to get rid of favourites that are too big.
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Morning :)

Sorry I've been missing, I've had a couple of evenings with my children and I've spent this week feeling really tired.

and a bit low, I wouldn't say I get depressed but I definitely feel quite low at times and that's been me this week.

I'm currently in a rented house but I'm ready (psychologically at least) to move and buy something but my ex is unable (can't afford!) to buy me out.

I'm quite cross about it all. I had 20 odd years of living in a terrible financial situation when I was with him, due to his terrible money handling (he earns an absolute fortune!) and I am now still 'controlled' by his money issues!

Anyway, that's my whinge, nothing I can do to change it, but it's just not helped my already low mood...

In answer to your question LL I didn't go on Thursday...it's a paid membership group and I've figured I can probably find enough to do going to the free groups.

I have the 'Yes,man' book :) I've not read it yet, but you've reminded me so I'll probably get it off my shelf and make a start.

My food has been terrible this week. I kidded myself into thinking I'd like to cook my meals after work and by Wednesday I'd had enough and my plan had gone out of the window, so, note to self...however I might feel on Saturday and Sunday, I don't want to cook Monday - Friday.

still fabbing though, and wore a couple of dresses to work this week, which was nice, I love dresses :)
  • lessonlearned
    edited 14 July 2019 at 7:19AM
    Good morning lovely ladies.

Sorry to hear you feel so low Frankie, but given your current circumstances it's not really surprising. Your financial situation and your ex partners inability to buy you out must be extremely frustrating for you. Hopefully a resolution will be found........

I can well understand you not wanting to cook every evening after a long day at work. Cooking for one can also be a bit soul destroying too. Even though I'm retired and do actually really enjoy cooking there are still some days when I don't feel much inclined to rattle those pots and pans.

Whilst some batch cooking and pre-prepping might be helpful I honestly think there's nothing wrong with a few good quality ready meals for those mid week "running out of steam" nights. I noticed there is cooking for one thread on the old style board where they post ideas.

I had a feeling you might give meet up a miss. Don't worry. There's no point forcing yourself if you really are not ready. I got cold feet several times before I finally bit the bullet. :rotfl: I often think these things are all about timing......we have to get our heads in the right place first. And I agree about trying the free ones first. You'll know when the time is right..

I have been to 5 now and I'm learning which type of events I enjoy the most. I already had an idea which ones I wasn't interested in so I knew which ones not to bother with. I have actually joined 3 groups now, all free membership, so that should offer enough opportunities for the time being.

I would imagine the amount of suitable available activities that appeal to me will vary, maybe more some weeks than others but that's ok. I don't need to be out painting the town every night - especially in the depths of winter. I probably will be just as happy with daytime activities come winter and enjoy my hygge evenings at home. :D

One of my friends couldnt make supper last night so we postponed it. I was secretly quite pleased and relieved because I too was very tired - still am if I'm honest. I have got a family party today for my grandsons birthday but nothing definite planned as yet for next week. I am looking forward to a few quiet evenings at home.

Made a start on the planting and weeding yesterday. Hard work, I'm really stiff and sore today, so going to give myself a day off. I planted the urgent ones, the rest are in pots so will be ok for a couple of days. Going to have a nice long soak in the bath, try and loosen up.

Have a great day, y'all.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    No major fabbing going on here at the moment, just maintenance! My nails are slowly improving and at least look neat ;)
    Needed to go to our local market on Friday to get my phone sorted (passed on to me from DS1) and took a look in a couple of CS while it was being done. Found a gorgeous red fascinator just right for Ladies Day at the races next month.....just need the dress to go with it now lol. After spending years in corporate dressing jeans have been my go to since I retired but I'm beginning to go back to dresses. I havn't got many but I have found a couple of nice ones in the CS. I really should get back to sewing as a plain shift suits me best and I could easily make them....just need the motivation. Maybe when the kitchen is finished........;)
    Hope everyone has a good day with whatever they have planned or unplanned
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    A shift dress suits me too silasaver it seems to not draw too much attention to my lumps and bumps.

I'm still going to the brunch this morning LL but I think you're right, you have to choose the events that suit you best and not get caught up in going to something just for the sake of it.

anyway, I'll let you know how it goes :)

Many moons ago, when I was thinking about what my plans were and what I wanted to achieve, my go - to phrase was to be 'fit & healthy'.

This meant ( for me):

Physically
    Mentally
    Spiritually
    Environmentally
    Financially

I still stand by these and still see this as my 'mission statement'

Unfortunately, I struggle with small steps and I'm very all or nothing, but I just wanted to remind myself on here, that this is a life long lifestyle, not a goal to achieve and then that's it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure