Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    holik
    can i claim compensation for being stranded.
    • 10th Jan 15, 8:17 PM
    can i claim compensation for being stranded. 10th Jan 15 at 8:17 PM
    hi, we managed to fly back from crete when the icelandic volcano ash situation, however we didn't manage to fly back to our original airport (Manchester) we had to land at heathrow due to the ash concentration levels being to high at Manchester at the time.
    we landed at Manchester and was told to stay put as "coaches were being sorted" to take us to Manchester, 8 hours later they were no where to be seen and therefore we had to make our own travel arrangements to get back home.
    at the time my daughter was 2 and it was quite distressing for us, we were offered no food vouchers or anything and the airline crew were no help...

would this class as delayed, since we didn't make it to our destination ????? we managed to get a refund on our coach fair, but still doesn't defeat the object of us being stranded with no information from the travel company, which was thomas cook...

many thanks and any advice would be helpful....
Page 1
    • tomtontom
    • By tomtontom 10th Jan 15, 8:27 PM
    • 7,184 Posts
    • 16,347 Thanks
    tomtontom
    • 10th Jan 15, 8:27 PM
    • 10th Jan 15, 8:27 PM
    Whilst leaving you at Heathrow was not good customer service and entitles you to the cost of getting home, it's not really being "stranded" is it? I can't think of anywhere that would offer you more travel options back to Manchester!
  • holik
    • 10th Jan 15, 8:33 PM
    • 10th Jan 15, 8:33 PM
    yes being stranded maybe an extremity however, doesn't defeat the object that we didn't get to our destination when we paid alot of money for the holiday our first as a family, to which we didn't arrive to our destination when we paid to.

my question is, can we claim from the airline, as they didn't deliver us to our requested airport and was left to make our own way home, when they said they would take us home???
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 12th Jan 15, 7:55 PM
    • 13,306 Posts
    • 9,167 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 12th Jan 15, 7:55 PM
    • 12th Jan 15, 7:55 PM
    Calculate your reasonable costs: food and drink while waiting; the value of your time; and of course the actual transport costs. Invite the airline to meet these expenses. As for legal obligation, difficult to say, so be polite.
    • hcb42
    • By hcb42 12th Jan 15, 8:02 PM
    • 5,818 Posts
    • 3,538 Thanks
    hcb42
    • 12th Jan 15, 8:02 PM
    • 12th Jan 15, 8:02 PM
    I would guess this would be an extraordinary circumstance - if they paid the journey home, and any other costs incurred, then that would probably be a fair outcome.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 15th Jan 15, 12:57 PM
    • 3,072 Posts
    • 1,995 Thanks
    bagand96
    • 15th Jan 15, 12:57 PM
    • 15th Jan 15, 12:57 PM
    yes being stranded maybe an extremity however, doesn't defeat the object that we didn't get to our destination when we paid alot of money for the holiday our first as a family, to which we didn't arrive to our destination when we paid to.

my question is, can we claim from the airline, as they didn't deliver us to our requested airport and was left to make our own way home, when they said they would take us home???
    Originally posted by holik
    I think your expectations are unreasonable. The Volcanic ash was an unprecedented and unexpected event that caused absolute chaos with all airlines/tour operators playing catch up for a long time after.

You said they've refunded the cost of your coach to Heathrow. As Voyager said, any further reasonable expenses you incurred could be claimed with a receipt.

The reason you didn't get to didn't get to your destination (despite you paid a lot of money and was your first family holiday) was no more Thomas Cook's fault than it was mine or yours. Who do you propose should pay for this compensation you want? The government? Iceland? Planet Earth? God? (if you are a believer?)
    Last edited by bagand96; 15-01-2015 at 1:00 PM.
  • taainge
    • 8th Jul 15, 5:55 PM
    Taa
    • 8th Jul 15, 5:55 PM
    I have heard that I may be able to claim for a delay when we were stuck in Egypt during the ash cloud incident in 2010.
    Both my husband and I had to take 5 days each unpaid leave as well as missing a friends wedding.
    Does any one have any idea if this is true and if so how do I go about it?
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 11th Jul 15, 2:18 AM
    • 12,380 Posts
    • 8,067 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 11th Jul 15, 2:18 AM
    • 11th Jul 15, 2:18 AM
    I have heard that I may be able to claim for a delay when we were stuck in Egypt during the ash cloud incident in 2010.
    Both my husband and I had to take 5 days each unpaid leave as well as missing a friends wedding.
    Does any one have any idea if this is true and if so how do I go about it?
    Originally posted by taainge
    If you were travelling with an EU airline and were not provided with duty of care whilst you were waiting (hotel meals etc) then you can send in your receipts for reimbursement (if you still have them from 5+ years ago)
    Ash Cloud is very clearly not within the airlines control so was extraordinary circumstances so EU compensation does not apply
    Airlines are never responsible for consequential losses such as unpaid leave, if your travel insurance did not cover this then you are out of luck...did you make a claim with your travel insurance at the time?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,799Posts Today

7,817Users online

Martin's Twitter