Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mateus
    • By mateus 11th Sep 07, 8:54 PM
    • 146Posts
    • 98Thanks
    mateus
    Avoid Coinstar - Use HSBC!!
    • 11th Sep 07, 8:54 PM
    Avoid Coinstar - Use HSBC!! 11th Sep 07 at 8:54 PM
    You know the Coinstar machines at the supermarket.
    They take a commission (About 5%) for sorting your change out.
    Great they are, but save yourself 's if you have a HSBC high street branch.
    Most of them, now have the machines that are the same, but are FREE, just either type your sort code and account number in, or swipe your card.

Load all your change, and it will be credited into your account. You get a little printout with the amounts of each coin and NO COMMISSION!!!!!

Thanks to Chiptivo on HDUK!
Page 9
  • Big fan of Martin
    Thanks.
    [QUOTE=stclair;68018240]Larger branches of Natwest have coin counting machines also.

Your partner may also be interested in this too.

Thank you for this suggestion, currently my nearest NatWest with a coin machine is in town which would not be financially benefical taking into account petrol, car parking etc, but live in hope that the most convenient branch to me which is on the way home from work with free parking gets a coin machine. Since it is located in a large shopping centre would be great for customers!
  • Big fan of Martin
    Thanks stclair
    [QUOTE=stclair;68018240]Larger branches of Natwest have coin counting machines also.

Your partner may also be interested in this to:

Thank you again stclair, I have read your information on accessible cards. My partner manages with his current card in cash machines, he does not bank with RBS or NatWest (I do) but won't use the at point of sale pin machines, not a problem with card but with the pin machine itself. Hence he pays cash and saves the change, I'm trying to assist by changing this back up to larger coins/notes.
    I will pass this link onto him for his information.
    • xHannahx
    • By xHannahx 23rd Mar 15, 8:42 PM
    • 597 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    xHannahx
    I just pour my change jar into the self service till at asda or Tesco. Never had a problem yet.
    • planteria
    • By planteria 24th Mar 15, 6:36 AM
    • 5,118 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    planteria
    i still find that the majority of HSBC branches do not have a coin deposit machine.
  • Bailey626
    Cleaning out the car I found I had a pile of change amassing in my centre arm rest,so decided that it would be worth cashing it in and hopefully make spending an hour pampering the car a bit more fruitful.
    I've just taken the change into a sainsburys in Glasgow and was pretty shocked to see the Coinstar machine charged 9.9% simply to print off a voucher! I really couldn't be bothered taking it to a shop or post office and standing there as they counted every last penny so proceeded anyway, it was money I didn't need but would rather it was in notes in my pocket than making a mess of my car!
    Just think 9.9% sounds awfully steep!!
    • Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 6th May 15, 11:48 AM
    • 2,818 Posts
    • 1,947 Thanks
    Vortigern
    Originally posted by Bailey626
    It takes a year to earn 3% on your savings.

It takes a minute to lose 9.9% on your loose change. Not very MSE!

People seem to have forgotten how to spend coins. If something costs 6.24 and you can't tender 6.24 exactly, then give 10.24, or 20.24, or 10.30 - anything to reduce the amount of change in your pocket (or your car).
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 6th May 15, 12:14 PM
    • 11,411 Posts
    • 14,171 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Originally posted by Bailey626
    Coinstar are a commercial business and need to make a profit over and above covering the costs of the service, which, as well as the manufacturing cost of those machines, presumably involve some sort of facility fee for siting within Sainsburys, plus restocking/emptying, security, banking, maintenance, consumables, electricity, insurance, compliance, etc, etc. As you say, there are cheaper, but more time-consuming, options available, so convenience does often come at a price, which you can choose not to pay by going elsewhere, hence this thread being started....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,334Posts Today

7,898Users online

Martin's Twitter