Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TanDiy
    • By TanDiy 11th Mar 15, 3:36 PM
    • 132Posts
    • 13Thanks
    TanDiy
    Do you think we should add Airspace Closure and Disruption to Insurance ?
    • 11th Mar 15, 3:36 PM
    Do you think we should add Airspace Closure and Disruption to Insurance ? 11th Mar 15 at 3:36 PM
    Hi,
    We are just in the process of taking out a new multi-trip travel insurance policy with Aviva. The cost of this is 85 to cover four adults but they want an extra 50 to add Airspace Closure (covers vulcano ash, etc) and Travel Disruption. I just wondered whether people are taking this out or whether the chance of ash, etc. is no longer considered a major threat. Many thanks for your views.
Page 1
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 11th Mar 15, 3:52 PM
    • 1,710 Posts
    • 1,209 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 11th Mar 15, 3:52 PM
    • 11th Mar 15, 3:52 PM
    I've got airport/airspace included as standard in the 'travel disruption' section. If you book package holidays though there is no need to have it.
  • wyebird1912
    • 20th Mar 15, 10:57 AM
    • 20th Mar 15, 10:57 AM
    As someone who works in travel insurance claims: it depends what travel you are doing.

You should request Aviva explain each sub-section covered in the additional sections of policy.

You may find, for example, Travel Disruption is only useful if you are hopping from country to country. I believe most policies cover you for travel delay or cancellation (if no flight is available within 24 hours of your original departure time) at the point of international departure. INTERNATIONAL DEPARTURE MEANING UK ONLY!! Not from Italy - France for example.

Whereas Airspace closure could be based more on "what ifs... oh that won't happen to me" so just how much of a risk taker are you?

That extra 50.00 could be a life saver and I know on Aviva the basic policy doesn't cover as much as other policies, the additional premium sections are really important in a claims situation!

Hope this helps you decide and I haven't just become a crazy rambling person
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,743Posts Today

8,736Users online

Martin's Twitter