Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
  • Kerry210
    Hi i was just wondering how long it takes for a bacs payment to transfer?? it got paid on sunday the 18th but i still havent recieved it?? im also with halifax bank aswell?
    • noh
    • By noh 20th Sep 11, 10:58 AM
    • 5,331 Posts
    • 3,641 Thanks
    noh
    A BACS payment takes 3 working days.
    Sunday is not a working day. I would expect the payment to arrive in your account on Wednesday 21st.
  • r-type
    I ordered a CHAPS payment yesterday at 4ish, I got a text this morning at 9:30 saying it had been processed and the payee said they had the money about an hour or so later.
    • pjread
    • By pjread 31st May 13, 10:12 AM
    • 899 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    pjread
    chaps are (or used to be in a past life doing back-office banking) manually processed and usually around 1-2 working hours 'lag'

FP may be a better choice these days? (depending on value)
  • lolavix
    How many times will this thread be resurrected?!
    • Hominu
    • By Hominu 31st May 13, 11:58 AM
    • 1,651 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    Hominu
    I think it depends on the bank, some banks say that if you request a CHAPS in the morning, it's guaranteed to arrive at the destination account by the end of the day, but may take until the next day to be credited to the account holder.
    • pjread
    • By pjread 2nd Jun 13, 6:59 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    pjread
    If they're before the cut off (1500hrs?) it's meant to be guaranteed same day clearance at the receiving bank. The issue is that arriving at the receiving bank sort code isn't quite the same as hitting the destination account. e.g. building society and other 'non-current account' (e.g. credit card) accounts are typically updated seperately after the "2nd tier" (card company, building soc, whatever) notices and updates the end-user's account. This is typically the next day.

[edit] I knew what I was talking about 10-12 years ago, but things may have changed so caveat emptor [/edit]
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

238Posts Today

2,981Users online

Martin's Twitter