Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 7th Sep 10, 2:10 PM
    • 1,242Posts
    • 3,573Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    1p finds at Tesco thread
    • 7th Sep 10, 2:10 PM
    1p finds at Tesco thread 7th Sep 10 at 2:10 PM
    31 January 2012

What's the deal?

We’ve had a host of reports from canny forumites that Tesco is selling a raft of items for just 1p. We originally highlighted this in Sept 2010 but have updated the post below with recent finds. Bargains currently on offer include Lindt balls, calendars & Xmas chocs.

If you're reading this thread in full, you'll need to go to the last pages to see the most recent bargains found

It's worth noting that with people flooding into stores, a few MoneySavers have not had a good reception from staff. It’s worth being aware of this.

Yet when we spoke to Tesco's press office (last Sept) and its official statement was "It’s not a systems error. These lines are discounted stock, they’ve been reduced to clear. The 1p stock is rare and won’t be available in each store."

So, while every store reserves the right not to sell stock if there is a genuine pricing error, in most of these cases they should sell it to you.

Current 1p spots, Jan 2012

Below are examples of forumites’ current 1p Tesco spots in store over the last few weeks (Jan 2012). In the past there have been many more 1p finds but we still thought it worth a mention still. Huge thanks for all their help.

Please press reply to add yours at the thread's end. Do include barcodes if you can, as that helps those without price-scan machines track bargains down.

Food
    • Lindt chocolate balls
    • Chocolate lollipops
    • Chocolate tree decorations
    • Advent calendars
    • Chocolate santas/reindeers

Want more - seen more?

Scan through the forum (the most recent posts are at the end, on the last page), to see what forumites have found - and please add your own by clicking reply.

How to find 'em

These hidden bargains are not marked as 1p on the shelves, but scan at 1p when you get to the tills.

The easiest way to check is to beep the barcodes on Tesco’s price-scan machines. Yet these are only available at certain stores, so the alternative’s to swipe the bits at the self-service checkouts or the till (if it's not 1p and you don't want it, just cancel).

Do remember that, while many 1p bargains been found in multiple shops, they do vary from store to store. This is a bit of fun, NOT a guaranteed deal.

For more tips and deals like this please get the

Free weekly MoneySaving e-mail

Is this legit?

The law on this is simple. If your items scan at 1p at the checkout, Tesco staff can reject the sale and tell you it can't be bought. However, if it accepts your money, the deal's done and the product is yours at that price – there is no comeback (unlike when this happens online).

Buying a few 1p bits as part of a normal shop will help. Yet march up to the counter with 10 umbrellas and 10 shampoos, and the cashier may not sell them to you for 20p.

BIG THANKS TO SILVERHAIRGRANNY & ALL FORUMITES WHO REPORTED 1p FINDS. (Please thank silverhairgranny below)

Don't miss another deal! Get MoneySavingExpert's Weekly Email
    It's full of new guides, tips, & loopholes; free & spam free
    Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 06-06-2012 at 4:48 PM.
Page 432
    • withywood
    • By withywood 25th Apr 13, 9:02 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    withywood
    could not find any items at tesco extra brislington
    if my house aint clean enough for you tough
    • FloFlo
    • By FloFlo 25th Apr 13, 9:40 AM
    • 32,186 Posts
    • 211,356 Thanks
    FloFlo
    I did quite well

This lot cost me £2:

The Dairy Milks were from various WHSmiths
    Originally posted by flyingflea
    How much were the dairy milks in smiths, could you post more details of these please.
  • fionajbanana
    No 1p bargains I saw.

I saw a couple of chocolate lines in the clearance with no price ticket. Took one of each to the price scanner wall units which are dotted in the store and they were £6.49 each. Left them there.
  • JanandJam
    4p bargain
    At our local store - Hattersley - tried to purchase an item in the sale marked at £5 but the till only charged 4p. The girl on the till called the supervisor over who said that there was a problem with reduced products at the moment and all were scanning at 1p or 4p. The supervisor cancelled the 4p charge and overwrote the scan then inputted a manual £5 homewear price.
    If I had read this article first I would have realised what was happenning.
    The item did not fit - but on returning the item getting a full refund was difficult, as the till tried to refund 4p not £5. So be careful to check your receipt
    • Luckystar
    • By Luckystar 25th Apr 13, 12:39 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 4,027 Thanks
    Luckystar
    I could only find the crackers with the correct bar code but they were scanning at the usual price
    Originally posted by katier9876
    I also found the jacobs crackers with bar code ending 8099 but scanned at £2.19
  • Lizles
    Lizles
    Thank you Martin for the 1p items tip at Tesco. I found four boxes of Black Magic chocolates in the sweets aisle at Tesco's in Eston, Middlesbrough.

I also found a quantity of Jacobs Cheese Biscuits with the correct bar code in Tesco's in Redcar but they refused to sell me them at 1p each. When I queried this, I was informed that all the offers had been taken off sale and were in the stock room (one presumes that perhaps the staff would be offered them?) or am I just cynical? The Jacob's biscuits were not part of the 1p offer according to this store! Can you check the bar code provided or have they got this wrong?

Love your site and always refer to you for any big financial decisions. Thank you.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 25th Apr 13, 2:21 PM
    • 1,817 Posts
    • 12,622 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I live in South East London and have found 2 boxes of Black Magic in two of my local Tesco Stores. I used the self service till. I too found the Jacobs Savoury Cracker Assortment in one of the stores, but they scanned at full price and I did not have the nerve to query the price. My first time of actually finding a Tesco 1p deal and saved myself £14.98!!!!!

Just to update today, I found another 5 boxes of Black Magic in another Tesco Store locally. No Self service, but was able to buy them at the till point. The sales assistant was astonished that the sale was a total of 5p. She was pleased for me when I explained that they were on sale at 1p each. She asked if there were any more, but she laughed when I said I had bought every box there was!

I have 5 family birthdays in May, so I will not be eating most of the chocolate myself.
    Last edited by sugarbaby125; 26-04-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Update from yesterday
    • aau1
    • By aau1 25th Apr 13, 4:31 PM
    • 19,198 Posts
    • 329,383 Thanks
    aau1
    Thank you Martin for the 1p items tip at Tesco. I found four boxes of Black Magic chocolates in the sweets aisle at Tesco's in Eston, Middlesbrough.

I also found a quantity of Jacobs Cheese Biscuits with the correct bar code in Tesco's in Redcar but they refused to sell me them at 1p each. When I queried this, I was informed that all the offers had been taken off sale and were in the stock room (one presumes that perhaps the staff would be offered them?) or am I just cynical? The Jacob's biscuits were not part of the 1p offer according to this store! Can you check the bar code provided or have they got this wrong?

Love your site and always refer to you for any big financial decisions. Thank you.
    Originally posted by Lizles
    They've not been 1p for ages. Martin's info was out of date
    Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is the word a moorhen
    • aau1
    • By aau1 25th Apr 13, 4:33 PM
    • 19,198 Posts
    • 329,383 Thanks
    aau1
    No 1p bargains I saw.

I saw a couple of chocolate lines in the clearance with no price ticket. Took one of each to the price scanner wall units which are dotted in the store and they were £6.49 each. Left them there.
    Originally posted by fionajbanana
    Stores have been known to disable/remove scanners if people dump goods at them like this.
    Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is the word a moorhen
    • bcw123
    • By bcw123 26th Apr 13, 8:21 AM
    • 966 Posts
    • 13,775 Thanks
    bcw123
    Stores have been known to disable/remove scanners if people dump goods at them like this.
    Originally posted by aau1
    Totally agree we lost our one because of laziness of customers who scan and leave products by scanner
  • ChrisEvanson
    Just remember, sometimes 1p items are in the system because they have been discontinued from the range, or are seasonal, but are re listed again and delivered but the price file slow to be updated. Also sometimes it can be a mistake (seems the case with the Jacobs, now corrected). You don't have a right to buy them at that price. If the tills have been updated you certainly don't have a right to expect them at the lower price! If however they scan at 1p and you pay and get issued with a receipt, the transaction is complete and they have no right to take them off you. Just reminding everyone where you stand with your rights.

By far the best way to do this is go through self scan quietly without drawing attention to yourself or the offer. Getting staff to scan them to test the price just flags it up and whilst you may get your goods, nobody else will get any more. Often then they phone nearby stores and get staff to check all similar lines - so even more people miss out.

Low key whilst in store is the way to play the game. Share with other MSE'rs by all means, but don't announce names of stores you find them in as it just kills it dead.
    If I had a pound for every pound I'd lost, I'd be confused
    • defairmans
    • By defairmans 26th Apr 13, 10:25 AM
    • 893 Posts
    • 14,685 Thanks
    defairmans
    Seems like some newbies trying to 1p items don't quite understand how it works. IMHO, I don't think 1p items should be put in the newsletter. There has been an influx of new posters coming to this thread and talking about querying the price with Ts. I can see the them getting fed up and making sure this doesn't happen anymore. Good advice from the poster above. I can't believe a poster a few posts back showed the MSE website. They must have come across the only polite T in the country!
  • Former MSE Darryl
    MSE News: Sweet-toothed MoneySaver scoops 200 chocolate bars for £2 at Tesco
    "One MoneySavingExpert.com user took advantage of a deal in our weekly email to save big on sweets..."

Read the full story:

Sweet-toothed MoneySaver scoops 200 chocolate bars for £2 at Tesco

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

• rebeccaj
    • By rebeccaj 26th Apr 13, 4:07 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 2,055 Thanks
    rebeccaj
    that's just out and out greed and TBH I don't think MSE is doing itself any favours by boasting about this and condoning such greedy behaviour.

Shoot me down in flames if you like but that is just my opinion.
    • dougs
    • By dougs 26th Apr 13, 4:13 PM
    • 577 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    dougs
    thoroughly agree with rebeccaj on this. MoneySavingExpert, yes, but this is just a display by a greedy grabbing look out only for number 1, never mind anyone else individual and not what I thought this site was about.

By applauding and publicising this type of behaviour you are condoning it and thereby cheapening what your site is about. A very sad day.
    • moonshine
    • By moonshine 26th Apr 13, 4:50 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 1,383 Thanks
    moonshine
    nobody needs that much chocolate. Pure greed. How many other people has he/she deprived of getting a bargain by doing this. Unbelievable
  • madmuppet5
    Flyingflea has already stated that they have given most of it away.
    I think some people are seeing the old Green Eyed Monster.
    AKA; Mad, MM, MM5, Madicles ©
    Shin: Device for finding furniture in the dark ©
    Elite 11+ fundraising total for Make-a-Wish £682
  • ChrisEvanson
    They say they have given it away, I hope they have. I know of another person on MSE who claims they have disabling illnesses and car boot it to make a living. Personally I got 4 boxes of black magic and gave 3 to a lady who helps with an oap group charity, and one the OH took to work. I wanted more to give to her an have been looking but failed. I wouldn't have the nerve to take more than half a dozen.

So yes I'm a little jealous of the person that got so many but at the end of the day it's first come first served. It's more those making a scene about it that concern me. I feel anyone quietly buying 100 through self scan on several shops is less damaging to the persuit of glitches than those buying 2 asking for a price check and/or insisting on a price match to an MSE list. Just my opinion.
    If I had a pound for every pound I'd lost, I'd be confused
  • Edwardia
    I hope flyingflea was kind and gave most of it away as otherwise that's a few stones there
    • rebeccaj
    • By rebeccaj 27th Apr 13, 7:57 AM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 2,055 Thanks
    rebeccaj
    I think some people are seeing the old Green Eyed Monster.
    Originally posted by madmuppet5
    There is absolutely no jealousy involved whatsoever, I don't even eat chocolate. I am just horrified at a display of such greed.

What I also find distasteful is MSE condoning such avarice by publicising it in this manner and, no matter how much the greedy person tries to justify their actions to themself or the wider audience by saying they are giving it away, it is still avarice.

Avarice : noun : insatiable or extreme greed, inordinate, miserly desire to gain.

Greed: noun : excessive desire to acquire or possess more (especially more material wealth) than one needs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

81Posts Today

1,849Users online

Martin's Twitter