Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 7th Sep 10, 2:10 PM
    • 1,242Posts
    • 3,573Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    1p finds at Tesco thread
    • 7th Sep 10, 2:10 PM
    1p finds at Tesco thread 7th Sep 10 at 2:10 PM
    31 January 2012

What's the deal?

We’ve had a host of reports from canny forumites that Tesco is selling a raft of items for just 1p. We originally highlighted this in Sept 2010 but have updated the post below with recent finds. Bargains currently on offer include Lindt balls, calendars & Xmas chocs.

If you're reading this thread in full, you'll need to go to the last pages to see the most recent bargains found

It's worth noting that with people flooding into stores, a few MoneySavers have not had a good reception from staff. It’s worth being aware of this.

Yet when we spoke to Tesco's press office (last Sept) and its official statement was "It’s not a systems error. These lines are discounted stock, they’ve been reduced to clear. The 1p stock is rare and won’t be available in each store."

So, while every store reserves the right not to sell stock if there is a genuine pricing error, in most of these cases they should sell it to you.

Current 1p spots, Jan 2012

Below are examples of forumites’ current 1p Tesco spots in store over the last few weeks (Jan 2012). In the past there have been many more 1p finds but we still thought it worth a mention still. Huge thanks for all their help.

Please press reply to add yours at the thread's end. Do include barcodes if you can, as that helps those without price-scan machines track bargains down.

Food
    • Lindt chocolate balls
    • Chocolate lollipops
    • Chocolate tree decorations
    • Advent calendars
    • Chocolate santas/reindeers

Want more - seen more?

Scan through the forum (the most recent posts are at the end, on the last page), to see what forumites have found - and please add your own by clicking reply.

How to find 'em

These hidden bargains are not marked as 1p on the shelves, but scan at 1p when you get to the tills.

The easiest way to check is to beep the barcodes on Tesco’s price-scan machines. Yet these are only available at certain stores, so the alternative’s to swipe the bits at the self-service checkouts or the till (if it's not 1p and you don't want it, just cancel).

Do remember that, while many 1p bargains been found in multiple shops, they do vary from store to store. This is a bit of fun, NOT a guaranteed deal.

For more tips and deals like this please get the

Free weekly MoneySaving e-mail

Is this legit?

The law on this is simple. If your items scan at 1p at the checkout, Tesco staff can reject the sale and tell you it can't be bought. However, if it accepts your money, the deal's done and the product is yours at that price – there is no comeback (unlike when this happens online).

Buying a few 1p bits as part of a normal shop will help. Yet march up to the counter with 10 umbrellas and 10 shampoos, and the cashier may not sell them to you for 20p.

BIG THANKS TO SILVERHAIRGRANNY & ALL FORUMITES WHO REPORTED 1p FINDS. (Please thank silverhairgranny below)

Don't miss another deal! Get MoneySavingExpert's Weekly Email
    It's full of new guides, tips, & loopholes; free & spam free
    Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 06-06-2012 at 4:48 PM.
Page 431
  • irish83
    4p Tesco
    So I've been reading and laughing about this 4p bikini glitch in Tesco and couldn't resist investigating. Went to my local store, Dungannon NI and grabbed a basketful of bits, sunglasses and kids swimming costumes. Very few items of swimwear, no mens or ladies and only a few kids on a sale rail in middle of aisle. Had to cancel the entire transaction at SS, to staffs annoyance as nearly everything was as priced on label BUT:
    Girls swimming costume, pm £3 was 4p
    Ladies sunglasses, found on clip strip pm £5, leopard print & floral frame was 4p
    Men sunglasses pm £7 blue plastic frames and lenses was 4p

Ok not the best find but four pairs of sunglasses and two kids cozzies for just 24p, down from £28 full price!
    I'm happy and happy hunting, if you don't mind upsetting T's staff lol
    • J20BABY
    • By J20BABY 4th Oct 12, 3:24 AM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 2,658 Thanks
    J20BABY
    Just make sure you get the 'holiday shop' items and nit the 'baby' items as they go throigh at more than 4p.
  • anjigillies
    hey, sorry whats this????

Also all the sunglasses in my tesco were scanning at 4p :-)
    • caroc
    • By caroc 10th Dec 12, 1:15 PM
    • 911 Posts
    • 3,160 Thanks
    caroc
    I found some halloween sweeties scanning at 1p at the weekend:
    Gory Gummies (similar to haribo) 1p
    Beastly bites chocolate lollies 1p
    Also found some halloween individual large gingerbread biscuits scanned at 9p
    Beware the packs of screme eggs still scan full price
    Still virtually allcohol free since 4/1/15. (6 New Year drinks) At least £2000 saved, but spent on pilates classes and spa days instead
    "Not drinking at a party is like having a hangover in reverse. You feel really miserable the night before and really good the next morning "
    • josie
    • By josie 9th Apr 13, 6:46 PM
    • 3,052 Posts
    • 17,934 Thanks
    josie
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tesco-jacobs-savoury-crackers-1p-1522926

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/toblerone-fruit-nut-400g-1p-tesco-1522724
  • TonyAllsopp
    Tesco 1p failure
    After MSE email, I went to Tesco this morning and there were at least a dozen of the boxes of chocolates at 1p. I picked up 3 and went to the self-service checkout. The member of staff covering the self-service checkouts noticed that the chocolates were only 1p each and took them off me and went to call a manager. They said that Tesco were not allowed to sell them for 1p as they might pose a health risk and that they would now strip the shelves of all of those chocolates. Needless to say that I am very annoyed at Tesco as I had planned on donating the chocolates at a dog charity event later tonight.
    • flyingflea
    • By flyingflea 24th Apr 13, 12:57 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    flyingflea
    I did quite well

This lot cost me £2:

The Dairy Milks were from various WHSmiths
  • Avoriaz
    I did quite well

This lot cost me £2:
    Originally posted by flyingflea
    And will only cost you £1,000 in new larger clothes and five years off your life when you scoff the lot.
    • flyingflea
    • By flyingflea 24th Apr 13, 1:37 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    flyingflea
    And will only cost you £1,000 in new larger clothes and five years off your life when you scoff the lot.
    Originally posted by Avoriaz
    Haha no, I gave most of it away as I know I can't be trusted with that much chocolate!
    • evenasus
    • By evenasus 24th Apr 13, 1:48 PM
    • 10,490 Posts
    • 26,680 Thanks
    evenasus
    Originally posted by Avoriaz
    Not to mention dental charges.
    The time for saving for a house deposit, is before you marry/live together/have children.
    Save for what you want to buy

You're - You are
    Your - It's yours.
    • 2004nsnazir
    • By 2004nsnazir 24th Apr 13, 3:14 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    2004nsnazir
    how did you manage that
    how did you manage that.which whs smith is this.i love chocolate
    I did quite well

This lot cost me £2:

• bcw123
    • By bcw123 24th Apr 13, 3:43 PM
    • 966 Posts
    • 13,775 Thanks
    bcw123
    I did quite well

This lot cost me £2:

well done the light blue boxes in the centre are they the tescos finest with 12 chocs . if so can you give the bar code as my local has loads of these but priced £6
  • katier9876
    Tesco 1p deals
    I could only find the crackers with the correct bar code but they were scanning at the usual price
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 24th Apr 13, 6:56 PM
    • 8,116 Posts
    • 42,310 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    I did quite well

This lot cost me £2:

This is amazing - so much i've tweeted and facebooked your success
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • GreenEcoGirl
    • By GreenEcoGirl 24th Apr 13, 7:46 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    GreenEcoGirl
    I managed to pick up the last two Toblerones at my local Tesco, but only after haggling with a rather stroppy till supervisor. I had checked the price with two staff on the shop floor who confirmed the 1p price with their hand held scanners, but then the tills scanned them at £4.00.
    When I pointed out that they had scanned at 1p a few minutes earlier, the supervisor snapped back: "I'm not selling them at 1p!"
    Needless to say, after disappearing for well over 5 minutes, she eventually returned and rather grumpily sold them to me for 1p.
    Me being me, I did tell her she had no cause to be rude!
    I have to say the floor staff and the lady on the till were very nice...shame not all the staff are!
    Trying to regain my pre-baby, pre-back surgery figure!
  • Buckssaver
    Amersham Tesco had the Jacobs crackers with the quoted bar code. BUT they were scanning at full price. I had to query it with staff who said 'OK, we'll let it through as 1p - we had a lady in last week with a 1p thing for these. Sometimes Head Office don't update the prices on our system'!!!!!

You have to query this - show them the MSE details - and then they agree to pay it. Not for the faint hearted - BUT I got 3 packs and saved over £6 ;-).
  • freyasaur
    Tescos staff are not acting fairly
    After MSE email, I went to Tesco this morning and there were at least a dozen of the boxes of chocolates at 1p. I picked up 3 and went to the self-service checkout. The member of staff covering the self-service checkouts noticed that the chocolates were only 1p each and took them off me and went to call a manager. They said that Tesco were not allowed to sell them for 1p as they might pose a health risk and that they would now strip the shelves of all of those chocolates. Needless to say that I am very annoyed at Tesco as I had planned on donating the chocolates at a dog charity event later tonight.
    Originally posted by TonyAllsopp
    My guess is that they wanted to keep them for themselves. If i was you I would contact Tescos and make a complaint! x
    • flyingflea
    • By flyingflea 24th Apr 13, 9:26 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    flyingflea
    This is amazing - so much i've tweeted and facebooked your success
    Originally posted by MSE Martin
    Haha thanks, Martin! Be sure to tell everyone I bought them just for myself and I plan on eating each and every one of them
    • flyingflea
    • By flyingflea 24th Apr 13, 9:32 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    flyingflea
    well done the light blue boxes in the centre are they the tescos finest with 12 chocs . if so can you give the bar code as my local has loads of these but priced £6
    Originally posted by bcw123
    They're Thorntons chocs with 'I [HEART] Mum' on the front, barcode ends in 775.
    • john539
    • By john539 24th Apr 13, 11:15 PM
    • 15,266 Posts
    • 10,868 Thanks
    john539
    Haha thanks, Martin! Be sure to tell everyone I bought them just for myself and I plan on eating each and every one of them
    Can you send me a choccy bar, pleeeeeeeeeeeeez.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,283Posts Today

6,525Users online

Martin's Twitter