Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paddytt
    • By paddytt 30th May 06, 8:37 PM
    • 262Posts
    • 98Thanks
    paddytt
    Where to get a VISA Electron card?
    • 30th May 06, 8:37 PM
    Where to get a VISA Electron card? 30th May 06 at 8:37 PM
    Does anyone know where I can get a VISA Electron card?

It seems to be the only way to avoid extortionate credit/debit card charges on Ryanair.com - 14 on a 104 flight! That's over 13% in charges! Sorry but I refuse to pay them that much...

I notice that Barclays offer one, but only for 16 to 19 years olds. Do you think they are fussy about the age? I was 19 once...

regards

TT
Page 23
    • NonGeographicalMan
    • By NonGeographicalMan 7th Mar 11, 2:52 PM
    • 1,455 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    NonGeographicalMan
    Santander did not re-issue my electron card and have just told me they are discontinuing it and won't send me a new one. Gnash teeth!
    Originally posted by Picasso7
    Time to apply for a Halifax Easycash account then if you fly regularly with Easyjet, Thomson, FlyThomasCook or FlyBe.
    • vinh1000
    • By vinh1000 7th Mar 11, 8:49 PM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 420 Thanks
    vinh1000
    Santander did not re-issue my electron card and have just told me they are discontinuing it and won't send me a new one. Gnash teeth!
    Originally posted by Picasso7
    phased out sadly but santander are useless full stop
    • hulkgti
    • By hulkgti 21st Apr 11, 7:15 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    hulkgti
    I made a big mistake today. I have had an electron card from abbey/santander for years, so thought I was ok when booking my flights. Then realised that my electron card is no longer electron! Too late for this time, but where's the easiest place to get one again?
    • scott_lithgows
    • By scott_lithgows 21st Apr 11, 9:25 PM
    • 1,387 Posts
    • 729 Thanks
    scott_lithgows
    I made a big mistake today. I have had an electron card from abbey/santander for years, so thought I was ok when booking my flights. Then realised that my electron card is no longer electron! Too late for this time, but where's the easiest place to get one again?
    Originally posted by hulkgti
    Halifax or Bank of Scotland easycash
    I have a deep burning indifference
    • NonGeographicalMan
    • By NonGeographicalMan 21st Apr 11, 10:36 PM
    • 1,455 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    NonGeographicalMan
    Originally posted by hulkgti
    You need a Mastercard Prepaid card to avoid the card charges on Ryanair though......
    • jno
    • By jno 26th Apr 11, 1:40 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    jno
    I will be flying regularly from a EURO country into the UK and will need to use easyjet.

I have had a similar card from Neteller (used with Ryan Air many times) but this is a prepaid Mastercard (not Electron).

Does anyone know of a free VISA ELECTRON card that can be linked to a EURO account specifically for this purpose?
    • lfc84
    • By lfc84 6th Dec 11, 9:47 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    lfc84
    Does anyone know of a free VISA ELECTRON card that can be linked to a EURO account specifically for this purpose?
    https://www.hsbc.fr/1/2/english/personal/cards/visa-electron-card

https://www.barclays.es/publico/contents/clientesInternacionales/tarjetasdebitocredito_VisaElectron.jsp?lang=en_UK

http://www.lloydsbankinternational.es/en/retail-banking/accounts/current-account/?activa=2

http://www.skrapid.at/32535+M57ea9a97280.html

http://www.visa-electron.de/

http://www.budapestbank.hu/szolgaltatas/lakossag/bankkartya-visa-electron.php

http://www.cajamadrid.com/Portal_Corporativo/html/RSE_2009/html/en/04_clientes/0432_inclusion.html

https://www.deutsche-bank-pbc.pl/en/index.php/l1/konta/l2/visa_electron
    Last edited by lfc84; 22-10-2012 at 1:49 PM.
  • DCole
    Just applied for a co-op one as its easy to just drop into a PO and put cash in - can't wait for it to come!
    • NonGeographicalMan
    • By NonGeographicalMan 22nd Oct 12, 11:57 PM
    • 1,455 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    NonGeographicalMan
    Just applied for a co-op one as its easy to just drop into a PO and put cash in - can't wait for it to come!
    Originally posted by DCole
    Surely there is no point now in getting a Visa Electron card given that Monarch, Thomson, FlyBe etc no longer charge extra for ordinary Visa Debit card payments but have replaced the Visa Debit card fee ripoff with completely and utterly extortionate hold baggage fees.

eg Thomson charged 13 return for a 20kg hold bag to destinations in Spain in summer 2010 but in summer 2012 they are charging 44 return for the same 20kg hold bag. I am sure their real costs for that bag with the airports are no more than 9 return.

As Thomson only allow 5kg hand luggage and this is no strictly enforced there is no way to avoid the hold baggage charge ripoff other than to say travel on another airline like Easyjet with no weight limit on hand luggage but even they have severe limitations on hand luggage size.
  • eclaire
    trying to book today - all debit and credit cards incur the charge only visa electron doesnt - on aer lingus.
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 31st Oct 12, 1:43 PM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    callum9999
    Surely there is no point now in getting a Visa Electron card given that Monarch, Thomson, FlyBe etc no longer charge extra for ordinary Visa Debit card payments but have replaced the Visa Debit card fee ripoff with completely and utterly extortionate hold baggage fees.

eg Thomson charged 13 return for a 20kg hold bag to destinations in Spain in summer 2010 but in summer 2012 they are charging 44 return for the same 20kg hold bag. I am sure their real costs for that bag with the airports are no more than 9 return.

As Thomson only allow 5kg hand luggage and this is no strictly enforced there is no way to avoid the hold baggage charge ripoff other than to say travel on another airline like Easyjet with no weight limit on hand luggage but even they have severe limitations on hand luggage size.
    Originally posted by NonGeographicalMan
    Or fly Thomson and don't take a suitcase.
    • NonGeographicalMan
    • By NonGeographicalMan 2nd Nov 12, 10:57 AM
    • 1,455 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    NonGeographicalMan
    Or fly Thomson and don't take a suitcase.
    Originally posted by callum9999
    That would mean making do with only 5kg of strictly enforced hand luggage compared to 10kg on Ryanair or Monarch or unlimited hand luggage weight within the permitted dimensions on Easyjet.

Either you never go away on trips of more than 2 days and don't ever take a laptop computer or alternatively you must be a very smelly person who almost never changes your clothes or underwear.

More likely however is that you are just a forum troll who enjoys making stupid responses with little thought to posts by other members.

The Thomson weight limit is not set to be practical. It is deliberately set to be too little so that you will then have to pay for one of their ever more expensive hold bag allowances. Monarch's A300 planes are just densely packed with passengers as Thomsons and yet strangely they can manage to let them have 10kg rather than 5kg hand luggage. i.e. the low Thomson hand luggage weight limit exists purely in order to force customers to have to check in a hold bag.

Oh yes don't tell me I bet you are the one person who could even manage to cope with the new super mean free hand luggage on Whizz Air which can only comprise of a bag small enough that it will fit under your seat. Or perhaps you are in reality just Michael O'Leary in disguise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,660Posts Today

7,963Users online

Martin's Twitter