MSE News: Martin's reaction to Brexit

Former_MSE_Steve_1
Former_MSE_Steve_1 Posts: 79 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Anniversary Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 24 June 2016 at 10:33AM in Budgeting & bank accounts
MoneySavingExpert.com founder Martin Lewis has posted a short homemade video with his initial reaction to the referendum result...
Read the full story:
'Martin's reaction to Brexit – what will it mean for the economy, mortgages, savings and more?'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,003 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Is there a transcript for those of us who can't watch video at work?
    I think....
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 24 June 2016 at 10:02AM
    michaels wrote: »

I've just watched it.

He looks kn*ckered and rambles a bit after an all-nighter;)

Basic message is:
    we don't know what will happen next
    interest rates unlikely to rise in short term
    effect on house prices unknown
    savings probably still safe under £75k FSCS limit
    pound buys less currency so holidays will cost more
    imports will cost more so BOE will probably print more money to avoid stagnating economy
    lots of financial pain, but we don't know how severe
    above all, we must all work together - KEEP CALM & CARRY ON:cool:

Oh, and that the people leading us will still be leading us. Which has already been overtaken by events!
  • What I'd really like to know, is what Martin thinks is going to happen to EU citizens who, like me, live, work and own property in the UK.

What will happen to our right to work and own property here? What about our children's university fees?

Any thoughts?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    What I'd really like to know, is what Martin thinks is going to happen to EU citizens who, like me, live, work and own property in the UK.

What will happen to our right to work and own property here? What about our children's university fees?

Any thoughts?

I know it's a big concern to you but to the vast majority of the UK population it's a side issue that won't be given any priority and will eventually be dealt with at some point in the exit negotiations. No help to you, and you'll be living with uncertainty for quite a while, but the rest of us have more pressing concerns to worry about.
  • agrinnall wrote: »
    I know it's a big concern to you but to the vast majority of the UK population it's a side issue that won't be given any priority and will eventually be dealt with at some point in the exit negotiations. No help to you, and you'll be living with uncertainty for quite a while, but the rest of us have more pressing concerns to worry about.

Wow thanks for your empathy.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    What I'd really like to know, is what Martin thinks is going to happen to EU citizens who, like me, live, work and own property in the UK.

Can you get yourselves UK citizenship? Possibly as a second nationality? It will take some time and cost some money but it would remove a lot of uncertainty for you and your family.
    https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/check-if-you-can-apply
  • colsten wrote: »
    Can you get yourselves UK citizenship? Possibly as a second nationality? It will take some time and cost some money but it would remove a lot of uncertainty for you and your family.

Sure I could but it's really expensive and I can't really afford it. Probably will for my son though as he was born here and considers himself English, and it's a bit cheaper for under-18s.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    agrinnall wrote: »
    No help to you, and you'll be living with uncertainty for quite a while, but the rest of us have more pressing concerns to worry about.
    WOW. What a way to show appreciation for the tax and NI those people pay, and how they contribute to the wealth of our economy. It is very sad to see the lows our country has now sunk to.
  • Paul_1977
    Paul_1977 Posts: 992 Forumite
    Glad we voted out, thank god.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    michaels wrote: »

.. and for those of us who can't watch video at home (slow BB and no speakers).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure