How to obtain credit reports

Comments

• Ash*_4
    Ash*_4 Posts: 9 Forumite
    how exactly everything needs to match up. I'm providing the exact correct electoral addresses to the credit companies, but I've got a few queries. Firstly, on my broadband and mobile account I have not included my middle initial and can't change my name on the account, is this ok? Also how tight are the companies on the inclusion of Countys on addresses? For example on my bank account details (ive included the middle initial) but ive not currently included the county (in this instance Lancashire) Are there any other bills etc that I need to check that they match up as we
  • Ash*_4
    Yes, it will cost you just £2. For links, see page 1 of this sticky.

We cannot be absolutely certain which credit card providers search a particular agency's files (lenders do not disclose this information), but anecdotal evidence suggests most use Experian, so that one matters more.

Btw, once you have your paper copy, the credit reference agencies seem happy to answer questions over the phone if you quote your reference number. So if, for instance, you wanted to check that particular items had since been updated, there's no need to order further copies of your credit reports
  • Ash*_4
    I am considering moving credit cards - I haven't done this for nearly 12 months now, would you suggest its work me going to Experian or Equifax for a report? For peace of mind perhaps?
  • Ash*_4
    I can understand if there is confusion on the main part of an address (ie my previous address had 2 post codes for the front/back of the building, my home could be described as a flat or apartment, was in a building descibed as either number 72, 72-76, 72/76, and also had a name for the overall building!?!) but i was wondering how strict things are on the things I have mentioned?

Many thanks if anyone can shine some light on this and help me out. You could say its stressing me out a bit!
  • Ash*_4
    (ie my previous address had 2 post codes for the front/back of the building, my home could be described as a flat or apartment, was in a building descibed as either number 72, 72-76, 72/76, and also had a name for the overall building!?!) but i was wondering how strict things are on the things I have mentioned?Many thanks if anyone can shine some light on this and help me out. You could say its stressing me out a bit!
  • Ash*_4
    Yes, it will cost you just £2. For links, see page 1 of this sticky.

We cannot be absolutely certain which credit card providers search a particular agency's files (lenders do not disclose this information), but anecdotal evidence suggests most use Experian, so that one matters more.

Btw, once you have your paper copy, the credit reference agencies seem happy to answer questions over the phone if you quote your reference number. So if, for instance, you wanted to check that particular items had since been updated, there's no need to order further copies of your credit reports
  • Ash*_4
    I'm looking at requesting the statutory credit reports from the 3 main companies, but before I do, I've been looking at making sure that all my and my partner's addresses for bills etc match up with the electoral register which we're both registered on and were at our previous addresses as well. I've made sure that our mobile & broadband addresses match up, I was just wondering how exactly everything needs to match up. I'm providing the exact correct electoral addresses to the credit companies, but I've got a few queries. Firstly, on my broadband and mobile account I have not included my middle initial and can't change my name on the account, is this ok? Also how tight are the companies on the inclusion of Countys on addresses? For example on my bank account details (ive included the middle initial) but ive not currently included the county (in this instance Lancashire) Are there any other bills etc that I need to check that they match up as well?I can understand if there is confusion on the main part of an address (ie my previous address had 2 post codes for the front/back of the building, my home could be described as a flat or apartment, was in a building descibed as either number 72, 72-76, 72/76, and also had a name for the overall building!?!) but i was wondering how strict things are on the things I have mentioned?Many thanks if anyone can shine some light on this and help me out. You could say its stressing me out a bit!
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi Aah - I think you are getting unnecessarily worried about these things.
    I'm sure I've had middle initial missing in some places and county missing and I've had no problems. I would think firstname, surname, number, street name, town and postcode are the important bits, so don't worry about the rest.
    I'm not sure that Call credit is worth bothering with to be honest.
    It's not used by everyone, so there will be lots missing on it.
    It would be sufficient to get Experian and Equifax, although if you've never had it , you might feel better checking all of them.
  • Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Hi Aah - I think you are getting unnecessarily worried about these things. I'm sure I've had middle initial missing in some places and county missing and I've had no problems. I would think firstname, surname, number, street name, town and postcode are the important bits, so don't worry about the rest. I'm not sure that Call credit is worth bothering with to be honest. It's not used by everyone, so there will be lots missing on it. It would be sufficient to get Experian and Equifax, although if you've never had it, you might feel better checking all of them.
    Sound advice, Lisyloo, but I don't think this troll cares a jot about their credit reports.

His/her posts(#432-#439) are a carbon copy of the foregoing contributions, but in random order, so a previously sensible discussion has been turned into an incoherent jumble.

REPORTED
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • dawnie1972
    dawnie1972 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I rang equifax 3 weeks ago and cancelled my credit report subscription - the lady on the phone confirmed this cancellation and that they would delte my card details - guess what - they've taken money out of my account - where do i stand with this apart from phoning them and complaining.
    A home is not a home ..... without a dog :heart:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport