MSE News: MoneySavingExpert.com launches the 10 day big winter switch event

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 29 October 2014 at 4:05PM
    Exavtly!
    The annual cost from Energyhelpline, Comparethemarket.com and Confused.com all show £1309.
    Uswitch shows £1319 for some reason although not too different.
    However, The Cheap Energy Club shows a cost of £1459 thus telling me that I would have a very large annual saving of £184 when based on the figures from all the other comparison sites, my saving would only be £30 to £40!

Your tariff has the possible extra discounts

1. £35p.a (per fuel) for paying by monthly DD
    ... but this is included in the revised standing charge figure I will show below
    2. £20 dual fuel
    3. £5 (per fuel) for agreeing to paperless billing

My guess is that uSwitch has not included the paperless billing discounts in their total.

But the big difference probably comes from an error on the unit price of electricity used in the calculation.

Energyhelpline and uSwitch (and presumably confused.com and comparethemarket.com) use the followng unit prices & standing charges (inc VAT)

Electricity
    11.697p per kWh
    16.42p per day (79.95pa) standing charge

Gas
    3.591p per kWh
    21.90p per day (59.94pa) standing charge

However, the CEC (which uses the data from MoneySuperMarket.com) appears to use 14.606p per kWh for electricity.

My guess is that MoneySuperMarket.com and so the CEC have it wrong, but you can check the correct unit price with your bill/agreement.
    (the CEC also does not include the £10 paperless billing possibility)

Edit: Using the CEC/MSM unit pricing and ignoring the paperless billing discount, the total should be £1455 for the current tariff.
    (this ignores any possibility the tariff will end within 12 months - perhaps you got the slightly higher £1459 figure as you input an end date within 12 months)
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Already with Eon on V9 for electric and Zog Energy for gas .

MSE checker refuses to recognise Eon V9 for me and insists on showing data for V7 so it can quote a minuscule saving .

This MSE collective switch is no cheaper than the one Petrolprices.com did earlier this month in collaboration with Ichoose .

My own projected costs for the next year are a total of £560 for Gas and Electric less my confirmed Warm Home Discount making around £415 for the year .

Lost all faith in Cheap Energy Club . Just a way of boosting the figures so Martin gets his next big pay out !
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,350
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 29 October 2014 at 4:12PM
    SnowMan wrote: »
    Haven't looked at in detail, but the winter switch does show as the cheapest tariff for me by about £7pa (North West region gas and electricity). Exit fee is £10 ( 2 x £5).

The next best interestingly is also an EON fixed 1 year tariff with a £10 exit fee (v12). The gas is slightly cheaper on the v12 than the winter switch (unit rate of 3.434p vs 3.496p with same standing charge) but that is outweighed by the electricity being more expensive on the v12 (unit rate of 12.096p vs 11.792p both with same standing charge). The difference is only £2pa but there is a £5 on-line discount for the winter tariff, that doesn't apply for the v12 which swings it into being in my case £7pa cheaper for the EON winter switch vs the EON v12.

Doing a quote on the EON website shows that there is an additional £10 (£5 x 2) discount for paperless billing on the EON 12 month fix v12, which is not incorporated in the Cheap Energy Club comparison figures.

Can someone from the Cheap Energy Club please confirm whether there is also a £10 discount on the winter switch that is not incorporated into the comparison figures? If there isn't, then the EON v12 tariff is actually cheaper than the collective winter switch in my case, despite the cheap energy club comparison showing the opposite.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • kuepper
    kuepper Posts: 1,346
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If I switch from one npower tariff to another npower tariff do I still get the cashback?
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    kuepper wrote: »
    If I switch from one npower tariff to another npower tariff do I still get the cashback?

The RH column clearly indicates if cashback is available. ;)
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    SnowMan wrote: »
    Doing a quote on the EON website shows that there is an additional £10 (£5 x 2) discount for paperless billing on the EON 12 month fix v12, which is not incorporated in the Cheap Energy Club comparison figures.

Can someone from the Cheap Energy Club please confirm whether there is also a £10 discount on the winter switch that is not incorporated into the comparison figures? If there isn't, then the EON v12 tariff is actually cheaper than the collective winter switch in my case, despite the cheap energy club comparison showing the opposite.

It says the £5 per fuel paperless discount is factored into the calculation for the MSE Fixed 1 Year Collective Switch tariff.

(No such indication is given regarding the EON v12 tariff)
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,350
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 29 October 2014 at 4:51PM
    footyguy wrote: »
    It says the £5 per fuel paperless discount is factored into the calculation for the MSE Fixed 1 Year Collective Switch tariff.

(No such indication is given regarding the EON v12 tariff)

On the Cheap Energy Club comparison for the winter switch it says that there is a £5 per fuel on-line discount factored into the figures (which is indeed factored in).

On the Cheap Energy Club comparison for the v12 it shows no on-line discounts factored into the figures, and there are if you check it indeed no on-line discounts factored into the figures.

However according to the EON website comparison there is a £5 per fuel paperless discount for the v12 that is not factored into the Cheap Energy Club figures.

On the Cheap Energy Comparison the winter switch shows as £7 cheaper. But if there is a £10 paperless discount on the v12 that isn't incorporated into the figures, then the v12 is actually cheaper by £3.

So for the Cheap Energy Club comparison to be right, there must either be a £10 paperless discount on top of the £10 on-line discount for the winter switch (albeit I would have guessed that on-line and paperless were different names for the same thing not different discounts) or the EON comparison on its own website is wrong.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • MSE_Dan_L
    MSE_Dan_L Posts: 655 MSE Staff
    I'd still like to know why the MSE site is showing my current yearly cost to be £140 higher than the other comparison sites with exactly the same information being input. All the comparison sites have my annual consumption plus my postcode.

Hi MoneyFoolish

If you drop an email through to collectiveswitch@moneysavingexpert.com we'll check this out for you.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    ^^^

See post#42 ;)
  • kuepper
    kuepper Posts: 1,346
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    footyguy wrote: »
    The RH column clearly indicates if cashback is available. ;)

it says its available but I only switched 10 months ago, and I thought that barred me from the cashback too so I'm wondering about the accuracy of the tool???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure