How to obtain credit reports

Comments

• tubie22
    tubie22 Posts: 132 Forumite
    Hi, just wanted to ask a few queries.

Firstly, I am trying to get a phone contract and was declined due to the credit check. I am employed, don't have any credit cards, previously had a store card which I used, paid off and do not use anymore (cut up), on the electoral register, know all my current and previous addresses and time at them etc etc. I checked my credit report about a year and half-2 years ago on the free trial CreditExpert check and recall my score being in the 800's, I think this was classed as 'fairly good'...somewhere in the middle of the dial. I have previously applied for credit cards and have been declined, previously applied for phone contracts and been declined and I don't understand why....my credit rating isn't ridiculously bad. ( Just to not, I didn't apply for lots of credit cards and phone contracts all at the same time, I know this isnt goot for credit score. I applied for 2 credit cards within 90 days of each other and after the second decline, waited another few months before applying for a phone contract.)

My current mobile phone contract is under my mother's name, on her account. I know this doesnt help my score, but it was the only way I could get a contract phone.

What other reasons are there that I would be declined for literally everything I apply for?

I now can't check my score again unless I pay £14.99. The £2 stat report doe snot accept Maestro cards as security checks, which is the only card I have.

I'm really at my wits end about all this. I'm 22 years old and can't even get my own mobile phone contract!! Help!! :eek:
  • focus888
    focus888 Posts: 1,483
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi All,

Wonder if anyone can help me with this question.

I signed up for a free credit check 2 years ago and all looked fine, problem with an application was due to them saying i wasnt registered on electrol roll. I called up my council who said i was and that they needed to update my records. How do i now find out if they ever did? if i register on the same site or another credit check site does it tell you on there if i am or not? or do i need to do something to make sure i am? plus how much is the monthly fee?

Thanks alot x
  • mankarni
    mankarni Posts: 33 Forumite
    edited 9 May 2013 at 3:54PM
    You should check with the local council again, if you are on the electoral register now. once there it should appear on the credit report in about 2 months ? (not sure)
    http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/am_i_already_registered_to_vot.aspx

Why don't you register for the free credit report site Noddle.co.uk ?
    That will tell you if you appear on the electoral register.
    My Report shows something Like:
    Name <My Name>
    Address <my Address>
    Dates <Date I registered> to date *

Current status Not present on Edited Roll

i.e. it tells from what dates to what date i am on the register
    I am Novice wrt Knowledge on UK Banking industry. I post based on my own experiences and knowledge of using credit cards overseas.
  • mankarni
    mankarni Posts: 33 Forumite
    tubie22 wrote: »

don't have any credit cards, previously had a store card which I used, paid off and do not use anymore (cut up), :eek:

Register on the free site noddle.co.uk to get some info about your credit history.
    By any chance any trailing things showing as overdue on your store card ?
    I would suggest if the store card account is still active, request them to send a new plastic to you (i.e. no new credit application but a replacement card) and use it every month for small purchases to build your credit history ?

Also if you are confident of managing finances correctly apply for a card like 'Aqua' use for everyday purchases and pay off in full every month, to build a good history. At least keep one card active and in good standing to maintain a good health of the credit history.

As for your motive for contract, I think contract phones are a waste of money anyway, you can save quite a bit by using pay as you go sims. Though you may not get those fancy phones to use....;)
    I am Novice wrt Knowledge on UK Banking industry. I post based on my own experiences and knowledge of using credit cards overseas.
  • sfax
    sfax Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    tubie22 wrote: »

Firstly, I am trying to get a phone contract and was declined due to the credit check. I am employed, don't have any credit cards, previously had a store card which I used, paid off and do not use anymore (cut up), on the electoral register, know all my current and previous addresses and time at them etc etc. I checked my credit report about a year and half-2 years ago on the free trial CreditExpert check and recall my score being in the 800's, I think this was classed as 'fairly good'...somewhere in the middle of the dial. I have previously applied for credit cards and have been declined, previously applied for phone contracts and been declined and I don't understand why....my credit rating isn't ridiculously bad. ( Just to not, I didn't apply for lots of credit cards and phone contracts all at the same time, I know this isnt goot for credit score. I applied for 2 credit cards within 90 days of each other and after the second decline, waited another few months before applying for a phone contract.)

My current mobile phone contract is under my mother's name, on her account. I know this doesnt help my score, but it was the only way I could get a contract phone.

What other reasons are there that I would be declined for literally everything I apply for?

I now can't check my score again unless I pay £14.99. The £2 stat report doe snot accept Maestro cards as security checks, which is the only card I have.

I'm really at my wits end about all this. I'm 22 years old and can't even get my own mobile phone contract!! Help!! :eek:

You don't need a card to get your £2 statutory report BY POST. They have to provide it by law and they will have to check your identity by different means

Apply for a sub prime card like Aqua to build your score - see MSE article
  • kjglen24
    kjglen24 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Hey all

I was wondering if someone could help.... I am trying to obtain my credit report with Experian which is proving extremely diffiuclt.... I obtained my Equifax with no problems at all.... I applied for £2 stat report and had an email stating they needed ID, so I sent it special delivery which they lost, I then had to obtain them again (all my bank statements e.t.c. are online) and re-sent them 4 weeks agostill nothing.... I decided to do a 30 day free trial as I wanted to see my "score" and compare it with Equifax, again send ID.... I am completely at my wits end, any advice?

Thanks
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    kjglen24 wrote: »
    Hey all

I was wondering if someone could help.... I am trying to obtain my credit report with Experian which is proving extremely diffiuclt.... I obtained my Equifax with no problems at all.... I applied for £2 stat report and had an email stating they needed ID, so I sent it special delivery which they lost, I then had to obtain them again (all my bank statements e.t.c. are online) and re-sent them 4 weeks agostill nothing.... I decided to do a 30 day free trial as I wanted to see my "score" and compare it with Equifax, again send ID.... I am completely at my wits end, any advice?

Thanks

What advice is you want ?

Not everyone is asked to send ID, well im pretty sure I wasnt asked to send any.
  • kjglen24
    kjglen24 Posts: 40 Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    What advice is you want ?

Not everyone is asked to send ID, well im pretty sure I wasnt asked to send any.

I want advice to see what I can do, I have sent ID many times and not getting anywhere? When I ring them they state they don't deal with stat reports and when I email them they take weeks to reply, I don't know what to do
  • sfax
    sfax Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    kjglen24 wrote: »
    I want advice to see what I can do, I have sent ID many times and not getting anywhere? When I ring them they state they don't deal with stat reports and when I email them they take weeks to reply, I don't know what to do

If you are in the 30 day free trial or even just trying to set it up, they will deal with you over the phone. That's what you should do (other than just re-sending).
  • kjglen24 wrote: »
    Hey all

Thanks

I found Experian a pain to deal with until I actually phoned them up and spoke to an advisor, the guy couldn't help enough and soon got my problems opening an account sorted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure