Mary Berry Christmas Cake Mix - Tesco's - NOW £2!!

Mumto2
Mumto2 Posts: 1,348 Forumite
edited 7 December 2011 at 10:29PM in Gone off!
As title says, these are now half price in Tesco's.
Includes most things you need to make the cake (need to add egg, butter), bargain as it costs nearly that to get the marzipan & icing.
Also had the Christmas cupcake kits for £2.50 although not as many as these.

ETA - lots of people still buying these & reporting it's on until 2nd Jan - excellent!!
Now proud Mumto3 :j

Comments

• pretzelnut
    pretzelnut Posts: 4,301 Forumite
    I have one of these in the oven right now, OMG it smells amazing, the fruit is pre soaked in brandy, which didnt half hit me in the face when i opened the packet. I have 2 hours to wait until I can open the oven and check it. mmmmmmm

I looked at them when they were £10 but thought nah to expensive, however £5 is a bargain and all you need to add is 210g unsalted butter, 4 eggs, and the rind of 1 lemon & 1 orange.

(I already made one a few weeks back out of the bero book, but this one is so much easier and cheaper as everything is premeasured)
    :TIs thankful to those who have shared their :T
    :T fortune with those less fortunate :T
    :T than themselves - you know who you are!
    :T
  • I have one of these in the oven right now, OMG it smells amazing, the fruit is pre soaked in brandy, which didnt half hit me in the face when i opened the packet. I have 2 hours to wait until I can open the oven and check it. mmmmmmm

I looked at them when they were £10 but thought nah to expensive, however £5 is a bargain and all you need to add is 210g unsalted butter, 4 eggs, and the rind of 1 lemon & 1 orange.

(I already made one a few weeks back out of the bero book, but this one is so much easier and cheaper as everything is premeasured)

Glad its looking good and easy to make, just bought one this morning planning to make it with my 4 year old tomo!!:) Bargain at £5 especially as it includes the icing and marzipan its a no brainer!!
  • Mumto2 wrote: »
    As title says, these are now half price in Tesco's.
    Includes most things you need to make the cake (need to add egg, butter), bargain as it costs nearly that to get the marzipan & icing.
    Also had the Christmas cupcake kits for £2.50 although not as many as these.

Think the offer finishes Dec 5th
  • pretzelnut
    You could make it with your eyes closed. So easy, no special technical ability required, the recipes always say use parchment paper, but I only had brown baking paper and it works fine.

It doesnt look likeyou'll get a big cake when you open the bag and see all the bits but mines made a huge one.

I might go get a couple more, there cheap gifts to give to the elders of the family.

Wrap it with celophane from lidl, hey presto, as its fruit cake it will keep for quite a long time.
  • Mumto2
    Mumto2 Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    You could make it with your eyes closed. So easy, no special technical ability required, the recipes always say use parchment paper, but I only had brown baking paper and it works fine.

It doesnt look likeyou'll get a big cake when you open the bag and see all the bits but mines made a huge one.

I might go get a couple more, there cheap gifts to give to the elders of the family.

Wrap it with celophane from lidl, hey presto, as its fruit cake it will keep for quite a long time.

Glad to hear it's easy. Last years cake was a big flop & cost me a fortune.
    Looks like this years might be a bit easier!
    Do you think it's one to make now, or leave it for a few weeks?
    Now proud Mumto3 :j
  • Thanks for the tip OP, will look out for this - it's a bargain if it includes the icing and marzipan too! I got a stollen mix in Sainsbury's last week for £3 something (half price), looking forward to making that nearer Xmas! I normally avoid packet mixes for cakes but when you take into account buying all the dried fruit etc separately it definitely makes financial sense to buy the kit :)
    Slummy mummy!
  • pretzelnut
    Mumto2 wrote: »
    Glad to hear it's easy. Last years cake was a big flop & cost me a fortune.
    Looks like this years might be a bit easier!
    Do you think it's one to make now, or leave it for a few weeks?

Either, you can make it now, wrap it in brown paper and tin foil or put in in an airtight tin with brown paper on it, and it will keep, by doing this you can always feed it more brandy to make it extra boozy but not necesary. And leave the marzipan and icing till a few days before xmas.

Our you could make it closer to christmas, not feed it extra brandy and then you can marzipan and ice all in one go, but im a big believer that fruit cakes taste better with age, and more booze.

I have been topping my bero cake up with brandy for 3 weeks now, I think I have gone a bit mental as there only a teeny little bit of brandy left from a 350ml bottle. oh well tis the season to be jolly, tra la la la la la la lar larrrrrrrrr _party_

RESIST ALL TEMPTATION TO OPEN THE OVEN DOOR AND HAVE A PEEK OR 3 HOURS WHILST ITS COOKING, OTHERWISE IT WILL SINK. My oven is due to beep any minute and i cant wait its been a long 3 hours.
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Either, you can make it now, wrap it in brown paper and tin foil or put in in an airtight tin with brown paper on it, and it will keep, by doing this you can always feed it more brandy to make it extra boozy but not necesary. And leave the marzipan and icing till a few days before xmas.

Our you could make it closer to christmas, not feed it extra brandy and then you can marzipan and ice all in one go, but im a big believer that fruit cakes taste better with age, and more booze.

I have been topping my bero cake up with brandy for 3 weeks now, I think I have gone a bit mental as there only a teeny little bit of brandy left from a 350ml bottle. oh well tis the season to be jolly, tra la la la la la la lar larrrrrrrrr _party_

RESIST ALL TEMPTATION TO OPEN THE OVEN DOOR AND HAVE A PEEK OR 3 HOURS WHILST ITS COOKING, OTHERWISE IT WILL SINK. My oven is due to beep any minute and i cant wait its been a long 3 hours.

lol my 6 year old keeps asking to feed the cake, she says it's starving!
  • That sounds like really good value. Does anyone know what the "Bake by" date is? My mum is bringing us the Christmas cake this year, but we've got a couple of big birthdays coming up in the new year and it might be handy to keep a couple of the kits in the store cupboard to bake then.
  • pretzelnut
    That sounds like really good value. Does anyone know what the "Bake by" date is? My mum is bringing us the Christmas cake this year, but we've got a couple of big birthdays coming up in the new year and it might be handy to keep a couple of the kits in the store cupboard to bake then.

My bag states ''best beforefeb 2012'' which means you can still cook it after this date and it should still be fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport