• Andrew64
    Andrew64 Posts: 425 Forumite
    Options
    This is not good:

Landsbanki Guernsey savers may lose everything

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/money/savings/article4914674.ece
  • stanley317
    Options
    It may be worth now printing out any transaction details of transfers to your KSF accounts from your other banks though, just in case.

Good point. This is where that nominated account rule could come in very useful as I can prove every transfer in and out.

You've been anything but smug throughout the history of this thread, in fact I think you are doing a great job as moderator. Like you said we're all in this together and most of us just need a sympathetic ear.
  • richiyeh
    Options
    I guess the logic is that the UK end would have UK assets - not so with the IOM.
    The IOM end would indeed have a call on its assets - good luck with retrieving them from Iceland, which will reap the fruits of its default for years to come.
    By the way, I hope I'm wrong and you're right.
  • occamsrazor
    Options
    Some more places to write to:

Official:

UK Treasury Ministers -
    [EMAIL="ministers@hm-treasury.gsi.gov.uk"]ministers@hm-treasury.gsi.gov.uk[/EMAIL]
    UK Treasury Public enquiries - [EMAIL="public.enquiries@hm-treasury.gsi.gov.uk"]public.enquiries@hm-treasury.gsi.gov.uk[/EMAIL]
    Isle of Man Financial Supervision Commission - [EMAIL="fsc@gov.im"]fsc@gov.im[/EMAIL]
    KSF(IoM) Liquidator Michael Simpson of PricewaterhouseCoopers in the Isle of Man:
    http://www.pwc.com/extweb/newcowebpo...&CH=&CSS=OCEAN

Media:

SKY News - [EMAIL="news@sky.com"]news@sky.com[/EMAIL]
    Channel 4 News - [EMAIL="news@channel4.com"]news@channel4.com[/EMAIL]
    BBC Working Lunch - [EMAIL="working.lunch@bbc.co.uk"]working.lunch@bbc.co.uk[/EMAIL]
    ITN - [EMAIL="news@itn.co.uk"]news@itn.co.uk[/EMAIL]
    Press Association - http://www.pressassociation.co.uk/contact.php
    Times Online newsdesk - [EMAIL="news@timesonline.co.uk"]news@timesonline.co.uk[/EMAIL]
    Times "Your Money" - [EMAIL="weekend.money@thetimes.co.uk"]weekend.money@thetimes.co.uk[/EMAIL]
    Times Business - [EMAIL="business@thetimes.co.uk"]business@thetimes.co.uk[/EMAIL]
    Telegraph Editorial - [EMAIL="telegrapheditorial@telegraph.co.uk"]telegrapheditorial@telegraph.co.uk[/EMAIL]
    Guardian Money - [EMAIL="money@guardian.co.uk"]money@guardian.co.uk[/EMAIL]
    Guardian Weekly (Expat) editor - [EMAIL="anna.bruce-lockhart@guardian.co.uk"]anna.bruce-lockhart@guardian.co.uk[/EMAIL]
    Daily Mail "This is Money" - [EMAIL="editor@thisismoney.co.uk"]editor@thisismoney.co.uk[/EMAIL]

• expatfrance
    Options
    With regard to whether the new compensation rules will be applied retrospectively, surely it is not retrospective as although KS&F is in liquidation the compensation scheme has not yet been activated.
  • Knife_Edge
    Options
    richiyeh wrote: »
    I guess the logic is that the UK end would have UK assets - not so with the IOM.
    The IOM end would indeed have a call on its assets - good luck with retrieving them from Iceland, which will reap the fruits of its default for years to come.
    By the way, I hope I'm wrong and you're right.

richiyeh, I'm not saying you're wrong - I absolutely agree that a call on Iceland isn't worth much (if anything) - but a call on ING-owned KSF(UK) probably is worth something, and a call on Iceland may mean it escalates into an intergovernmental matter that involves the UK government.

The assets we're talking about are loans out of the 2 operations, and a loan by IOM to a bad borrower looks much like a loan out of the UK to a bad borrower.

Although the Times article linked above doesn't hold out much hope of that happening...
  • expatfrance
    Options
    Suggest that anyone who still has deposits at other IOM banks or knows anyone else who has write to the Cheif Minister that they will be withdrawn if the situation is not resolved satisfactorily
  • occamsrazor
    Options
    Suggest that anyone who still has deposits at other IOM banks or knows anyone else who has write to the Cheif Minister that they will be withdrawn if the situation is not resolved satisfactorily

I would write to the Isle of Man Financial Supervision Commission - [EMAIL="fsc@gov.im"]fsc@gov.im[/EMAIL]
  • liebena
    Options
    Hi. Occamsrazor, I have been following this forum silently for the last two days, and want to express sincere thanks for your valuable input. We have put my parents life savings in what was previously derbyshire, now Kaupthing. yesterday we attempted a telephonic transfer of all their money to my account in the UK. They are irish, living in africa. it is an absolute disaster for us. I dont want to add to everyones miserable stories, but have two questions - any suggestions of anyone I can contact in ireland for support (or is there anyone else here who is Irish), and secondly, any updates on the meeting at 4pm in IoM.
  • occamsrazor
    Options
    liebena wrote: »
    and secondly, any updates on the meeting at 4pm in IoM.

Manx radio reporting...

http://www.manxradio.com/readNEwsItem.aspx?id=26630

Radio report (audio) here:

http://www.manxradio.com/oNews/uploaded/audio/vcr-maz.wma

no real developments though....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts