• rolo
    rolo Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Local council -Teignbridge.
    Band before. E
    Band after. D
    Refund £5100
    Saving pa. £400

Over the moon here. I challenged our band a few years ago after discovering that a neighbour in a much bigger house was paying less then us, but that challenge was turned down by the council and I was told I could not appeal the decision, so I forgot about it. Then just before Christmas I was browsing the MSE site and read some of the anecdotes here, and then spotted that you could appeal! So I got in touch with the valuation office who were brilliant and very helpful, they instructed me to find 5 similar houses in my area (countryside area) that were in a lower band and call back with the details. So a combination of local knowledge, people I know in similar houses and google maps and cross referencing house bands on the internet , I had my 5 examples within 1 hour. I called the valuation office back who went through them and then said they weren't exact matches so couldn't do anything, but that I could find other examples if I wished to see if they worked. (age of property, style, bedrooms etc have to match). So I was about to search for more examples when the VO rang back and said actually, they had found a match in my examples and to leave it with them, and that they may have to visit.

3 weeks later, with no visit and the local council rang me today to say we are re-banded, £5100 is going to be repaid and our yearly bill will go down by approx £400.

Thank you MSE once again. x
  • Malton, North Yorkshire
    Previously band E
    Corrected to band C
    Refund £1311
    Monthly saving £50+ 
    Thank you MSE! We bought a Linden Homes new build in Oct 2017 and just assumed they'd get it right, but when I checked online I saw an identical 'model' house next door two bands lower and other larger houses in the street one band lower.  I worried as we'd been in the house well over the six months, 2yrs 4 months, I'd get know where, but rang VOA who were easy to deal with and after running through a few questions it became clear they thought our house was a larger 4-bedroom, when actually 3-bedroom. They say Linden Homes must had given them the wrong details and would investigate. Within six weeks I've received a letter from the council to confirm we've been downbanded from E to C and a refund of £1311 is on the way! 
  • Just received £5,000 rebate after following your procedure, having had a previous challenge refused. Thanks very much for the advice, it's much appreciated.
  • Thank you for all your help here MSE! I realised our bungalow was likely in the wrong council tax band late last year, quite by chance. I went on the VOA website, and discovered we were in band D, whilst 90% of our neighbours were in band C,(especially important were the bungalows the same as ours).
    I rang them up to register a reband, and the young chap required me to cite comparable properties to mine, of which there are several on my street. He said he would be in touch within 3 months. I got correspondence from them on Saturday confirming my success! Rebanded now to a band C. I Will be in touch with them regarding their reimbursements of my four years of overpayments! Thanks again for your help!!
  • dark1
    dark1 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    jonsc193 said:
    Thank you for all your help here MSE! I realised our bungalow was likely in the wrong council tax band late last year, quite by chance. I went on the VOA website, and discovered we were in band D, whilst 90% of our neighbours were in band C,(especially important were the bungalows the same as ours).
    I rang them up to register a reband, and the young chap required me to cite comparable properties to mine, of which there are several on my street. He said he would be in touch within 3 months. I got correspondence from them on Saturday confirming my success! Rebanded now to a band C. I Will be in touch with them regarding their reimbursements of my four years of overpayments! Thanks again for your help!!
    The evidence for the need for a general revaluation mounts. And only 30 years too late.

To clarify though, the reimbursement will come from your council, not the VOA. But bear in mind that right now, for obvious reasons, the wheels of bureaucracy might be turning even slower than usual.

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 April 2020 at 2:21PM
    dark1 said:
    jonsc193 said:
    Thank you for all your help here MSE! I realised our bungalow was likely in the wrong council tax band late last year, quite by chance. I went on the VOA website, and discovered we were in band D, whilst 90% of our neighbours were in band C,(especially important were the bungalows the same as ours).
    The evidence for the need for a general revaluation mounts. And only 30 years too late.

The evidence has been there for over 20 yrs and a revaluation for England was announced for 2007 but cancelled weeks before it would have happened

CT didn't exist 30 yrs ago, it is only 27 yrs old, legislation dates from 1992.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Followed your instructions and just received 2020-2021 Council Tax Bill from Wiltshire Council with a rebanding from F to E and a refund of £1620 for the last five years. Your instructions were clear. The person I spoke to was very courteous and helpful - easy!
  • I followed the instructions and just been informed I will receive nearly £5,000 from Worcestershire with a re=banding from F to E for the last 22 years. It would have been much more but I have benefited from a sole adult occupancy for half of these years. The Valuations Office Agency themselves have been very helpful and supportive. Thank you for such clear advice and encouraging me to check - I was convinced for years my band was sure to be right and continually dismissed the advice to check. Imagine my surprise when I finally did and found I was the only Band F house in a 'sea of Band E houses ' . The whole process including being notified by my council of my refund and future annual reduction just a little over 2 months!
  • Hello everyone, 
    We bought a house in
    East Renfrewshire council area 17 years ago, our banding was E and we only found out about rebanding recently. The Renfrewshire valuation board sent out a valuer and we had our band reduced! Now band D saving over £50 a month and we were refunded over £5,500, backdated to the day we moved in.
  • adp83
    adp83 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Local Borough Council: West Berkshire 
    Council Tax Band Before: E
    Council Tax Band After: D
    Amount refunded: £900
    Moved house in 2018 and was surprised to see council tax band classed as E when expected D. Did the neighbours check, all same size and layouts as mine, they were also D. Kept on meaning to get round to challenging but never did. Finally made it a 2020 plan to get things done I've been putting off. Checked MSE doing neighbours check and valuation check. Called Valuation Office and put in a formal challenge which they said I should have done this within 6 months of moving in. Anyway they raised it, I provided the addresses of the other similar properties around me and they said it could take up to 6 weeks. 
    Then got a letter saying it was regraded to D and a 2 weeks later got a letter from the council with new calculated council tax bill. Money refunded as credits on my 20/21 bill and direct debit adjusted for the lower amount. Thanks MSE for the advice!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback