Passport Renewal Query

Options
Hi my current UK passport is expiring in July 2020 so I made a online application to renew it 2 weeks ago and received the new passport today.

I read somewhere that if you renew it in advance, they will add the extra months on to the new passport but I have noticed that the dates on my new passport starts in Jan 2020 and Expires in Jan 2030.
Is that correct?

Comments

• benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They stopped adding remaining months last year (or the year before). Now passports are valid for exactly 10 years, in line with international standards.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • Heer2019
    Options
    Yep, unfortunately they've changed this which is quite annoying because it doesn't pay to be prepared. I travel a lot so so I like being prepared but looks like I'm going to have to wait right until I only have 6 months left.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    If you are travelling to most of Europe you need to be careful as I have read that not only does your passport need to have 6 months left but it must be less than 10 years old - post Brexit.
    Mine was renewed early 9 years ago so I think I will have to renew by March next year even though the passport does not expire until end November.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure