V2H and V2G

Options

Comments

• EVandPV
    EVandPV Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Fair point, I hadn't realised that it's been a whole 3yrs since I started the battery thread, and I don't think DNO compliance has come up for a long time.

It's certainly a strong argument for DC side batts with PV (v's AC side).

I take it your talking about diy installs ?
    Surely a legit installer would see to all that ?
    Scott in Fife, 2.9kwp pv SSW facing, 2.7kw Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012 - 14.3kwh Seplos Mason battery storage with Lux ac controller - Renault Zoe 40kwh, Corsa-e 50kwh, Zappi EV charger and Octopus Go
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EVandPV wrote: »

If I have understood the discussion correctly it would apply to all battery installations. That is what I hadn’t realised. It might be worth checking with your installer or are you going down the diy route?
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • EVandPV
    Options
    JKenH wrote: »
    If I have understood the discussion correctly it would apply to all battery installations. That is what I hadn’t realised. It might be worth checking with your installer or are you going down the diy route?
    We're using an installer recommended by Mike at Think Renewables who we bought the ac controller from.
    The installer included DNO approval in his quote.
    Scott in Fife, 2.9kwp pv SSW facing, 2.7kw Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012 - 14.3kwh Seplos Mason battery storage with Lux ac controller - Renault Zoe 40kwh, Corsa-e 50kwh, Zappi EV charger and Octopus Go
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Options
    JKenH wrote: »
    Getting the DNO paperwork done is one of the advantages of using a MCS installer for your battery system.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 December 2019 at 11:41AM
    Options

Yep. I'm assuming no legit installer would do it as they'd risk their licence/certification if they did. Same applies to the ads for 'plug n play' PV that keep popping back up, but aren't legal (in the UK).

I'm sure we chatted years ago about the DNO compliance side of these big batts, or perhaps I just read it when trawling the 'stuff' back then, but in fairness to Ken (and others) it may not have come up again recently, and we will be thinking about what the kit is supposed to do, not what it might accidentally do.

Speaking of DNO's and batts, I've just posted a link on the batt thread to a Fully Charged episode that's just been released - in it they explain why Robert Llewellyn had to install 3phase as the DNO said 'NO' to a second Powerwall II.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • EVandPV
    Options
    Speaking of DNO's and batts, I've just posted a link on the batt thread to a Fully Charged episode that's just been released - in it they explain why Robert Llewellyn had to install 3phase as the DNO said 'NO' to a second Powerwall II.
    Just been watching that.
    Must say, I was surprised how long it took for the backup power from the batts to kick in.
    I thought these things were meant to be more or less instantaneous ??
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 December 2019 at 3:40PM
    Options
    Just been watching that.
    Must say, I was surprised how long it took for the backup power from the batts to kick in.
    I thought these things were meant to be more or less instantaneous ??

Same here, it was impressive, but not exactly fast. Did you see the powercut on Tesla Time News a month or so back? It happened during filming when a tree outside fell and took out power cables, but 'we' saw almost nothing, just their surprise and the fact that their bank of PWII's took over immediately. Their main concern was to switch off car charging before the BEV;'s emptied the Powerwalls.

Perhaps the US has different gateway tech.

Here's the episode, with the tree fall/powercut at approx 45m 40s and some more chat in the closing credits around min 53
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • EVandPV
    Options
    Same here, it was impressive, but not exactly fast. Did you see the powercut on Tesla Time News a month or so back? It happened during filming when a tree outside fell and took out power cables, but 'we' saw almost nothing, just their surprise and the fact that their bank of PWII's took over immediately. Their main concern was to switch off car charging before the BEV;'s emptied the Powerwalls.

Perhaps the US has different gateway tech.

Here's the episode, with the tree fall/powercut at approx 45m 40s and some more chat in the closing credits around min 53

Now that's more like it !
    Didn't see any lights flickering at all.
  • JKenH
    Options
    A bit more on the Wallbox Quasar V2H charger.

https://youtu.be/VgubcvJKw74
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • JKenH
    Options
    EDF Energy are offering V2G packages to business users. It is hoped to make V2G available to residential users in the future.

https://www.edfenergy.com/electric-cars/vehicle-grid
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback