Add your feedback on energy supplier Extra Energy

Options

Comments

• lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I thought I was out of the mess that is Extra Energy, having switched to a different supplier in September 2015, but no. I have received an email, text message and a phone call to my previous employer (!) saying there was an unpaid debt. What a farce! Well, thankfully a former colleague relayed the message to me (I'm now more or less retired). When I telephoned EE there was no option to dispute the debt, but I eventually managed to speak with someone. I have requested a full account, since I cannot access my on line account (not surprising after 30 months) and apparently they will send me one in the post. Thankfully, I have been keeping monthly readings on my own spreadsheet along with submitting to the supplier. I'm now off to send an email confirming the gist of my telephone conversation...
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • Phaeton
    Phaeton Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They cannot back bill you after 12 months it's Ombudsman's rules, they will try to tell you that they are not governed by Ombudsman's rule, hold steady & do not pay, they will back down, they have no choice.
  • lisa110rry
    edited 31 January 2018 at 1:14PM
    Options
    Gosh, is it just twelve months? For some reason I thought it was three years! I'll need to get chapter and verse on this.

Edited to add: I've got chapter and verse now from Ofgem and feel confident that 1) I provided them with readings each month and 2) they had my direct debit and could have billed me within twelve months had they wished. The invoice (which I hope will appear in the post) is only for £38, but I will dispute it because of the principle and the Ofgem rules.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 January 2018 at 1:39PM
    Options
    lisa110rry wrote: »
    Gosh, is it just twelve months? For some reason I thought it was three years! I'll need to get chapter and verse on this.

Edited to add: I've got chapter and verse now from Ofgem and feel confident that 1) I provided them with readings each month and 2) they had my direct debit and could have billed me within twelve months had they wished. The invoice (which I hope will appear in the post) is only for £38, but I will dispute it because of the principle and the Ofgem rules.

The Code for BackBilling is voluntary code AFAIK. You need to look carefully at the various scenarios before you decide whether you have a case. The latest Energy UK audit on the BBC states:

Quote: The Billing Code aims to drive improved standards of performance and to provide a common framework around which energy suppliers can build better processes and controls. Current members of the Code are: British Gas, EDF Energy, E.ON, RWE npower, ScottishPower and SSE. Other companies may follow the principles of the Code but are not included because, as non-members, their practices are not audited. Unquote

https://www.energy-uk.org.uk/files/docs/Industry%20codes/Code%20of%20Practice%20for%20accurate%20bills/CodeofpracticeforaccuratebillsWEB.pdf

The other important point to note is that the period 31 Jan 18 back to 31 Jan 17 is not subject to any application of the Code. (as of today's date). The Code relates to energy used prior to 31 Jan 17. The consumer must also have made some efforts to get a bill.
  • ianG
    ianG Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it's voluntary then it is optional in my experience. Same for all sectors, estate agents, employment agencies, car dealers etc etc.
  • Phaeton
    Phaeton Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    From Ofgen

Each case is looked at on its own merits; however, the 12 month limit for back-bills may apply in these examples when your supplier has:

Failed to bill you at all and you have requested bills from them
    Billed you using estimated meter readings instead of valid readings provided by you or a meter reader
    Billed you incorrectly by mixing up meter readings, and failed to act upon information available to put this right
    Failed to do anything about a query or fault you have raised regarding your account or meter and subsequently allowed a large debt to build up on your account
    Failed to reassess a payment arrangement (e.g. Direct Debit) within 15 months, or failed to reassess based on a reasonable estimate.

If you provide a final meter reading it's their fault if they fail to bill you correctly.
  • lisa110rry
    Options
    Hello Hengus, I believe Extra Energy closed my direct debit and my on line account and therefore believe that his bill is in error. Thankfully, if they honour their promise to send me an entire account for the full period of their supply I will be able to precisely check it using my monthly spreadsheet and my banking records. Thankfully I have been keeping records for over 15 years! On principle I shall dispute the bill, just to see where I get to. Years and years involved with commercial claims gives me a great deal of confidence doing this. We'll see! But I take on board your comments. The Ofgem 'Back billing: your rights' page seems to indicate there are two things going on here - Ofgem rules and a separate, voluntary agreement. Perhaps I'll print off that page, highlighting the Ofgem rules, to go with my dispute.

Edited to change the name of the supplier, I accidentally wrote the name of my current supplier (an excellent company) rather than EE.
    ― Julian of Norwich
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is the latest position. Ofgem is consulting on changes to the Code. I have yet to see a published decision from them:

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/ofgem-proposes-new-protection-consumers-back-billing
  • lisa110rry
    Options
    Thanks for that Hengus, I reckon it will be worth a few stamps! If their position is entrenched I shall suggest that an 'inconvenience payment' would be appropriate, lol!
    ― Julian of Norwich
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Phaeton wrote: »
    They cannot back bill you after 12 months it's Ombudsman's rules, they will try to tell you that they are not governed by Ombudsman's rule, hold steady & do not pay, they will back down, they have no choice.

What brings you to that assumption??? :huh:
    What to do if you're still not happy…
    If you've followed the above stages and you're unhappy with our final written position, or eight weeks have passed and your case hasn’t been resolved, you can take your complaint to Ombudsman Services: Energy.

Their contact details are:
    Phone: 0330 440 1624 (textphone 0330 440 1600)
    Web: www.ombudsman-services.org
    Post: Ombudsman Services: Energy, PO Box 966, Warrington, WA4 9DF

Please note that you're required to have followed our internal complaints process before they will accept your case. The Ombudsman provide a free and impartial service. This will include a thorough investigation of your case. Once complete they may recommend additional action, this could be an apology, remedial action or financial compensation. If you accept their proposal, extraenergy is then bound by their decision.
    http://www.extraenergy.com/home/faq/complaints
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport