DLA fraud check

Comments

• Vicky123
    Vicky123 Posts: 3,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Plenty of adults claiming DLA and AA live alone and get no care whatsoever. Don't you think it would be better if they had the care rather than the money?

I think [emphasise think] everyone is entitled to some care if they are disabled from SS, well we have certainly been offered help many times, but I was under the impression that DLA was awarded to help the disabled person do things that they cannot do as a result of their disability and that wouldn't always mean paying carers to come in and do whatever they do.
    Obviously for some it would mean exactly that but not all surely, or have I got that wrong is DLA only to be spent in buying in care workers?
    It's a long time since I filled in the forms but I don't remember anything about it having to be spent on paid care workers and I filled them in myself and had no problems from DWP.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Vicky123 wrote: »
    I think [emphasise think] everyone is entitled to some care if they are disabled from SS

They only help people with severe care needs. Well, when I lived in London, they did.
    Obviously for some it would mean exactly that but not all surely, or have I got that wrong is DLA only to be spent in buying in care workers?
    It's a long time since I filled in the forms but I don't remember anything about it having to be spent on paid care workers and I filled them in myself and had no problems from DWP.

DLA is meant to be for extra costs due to disability. For some people, this wll be care workers, for others it'll be things like extra washing, water, electric, etc.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • ash4becks
    ash4becks Posts: 589 Forumite
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vicky123 viewpost.gif
    I think [emphasise think] everyone is entitled to some care if they are disabled from SS

if only not in my area iam on hrc and they still dont think iam bad enough, when in bad flare walking in the flat is bad enough never might attempting to get in bath

• Vicky123
    Vicky123 Posts: 3,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sh1305 wrote: »
    They only help people with severe care needs. Well, when I lived in London, they did.

DLA is meant to be for extra costs due to disability. For some people, this wll be care workers, for others it'll be things like extra washing, water, electric, etc.
    OK thanks for that but why are people saying that care should be brought in instead of being given the money?
  • Indie_Kid
    OK thanks for that but why are people saying that care should be brought in instead of being given the money?

Because apparently, none of us (or very few) spend it on the intended purpose and go without care.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • ash4becks
    ash4becks Posts: 589 Forumite
    sh1305 wrote: »
    Because apparently, none of us (or very few) spend it on the intended purpose and go without care.

its not like you sit there and work every little bit out though, with the dust allergy i have all beding etc has to be washed at least once a week, the duvets are the same 10 pound a go, and thats for one thing i bet many on dla dont see what what they always buy as extra cost iam only aware about this because its dangrous to my health otherwise
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    ash4becks wrote: »
    its not like you sit there and work every little bit out though, with the dust allergy i have all beding etc has to be washed at least once a week, the duvets are the same 10 pound a go, and thats for one thing i bet many on dla dont see what what they always buy as extra cost iam only aware about this because its dangrous to my health otherwise
    ;) I think most normal people wash their bedding at least once a week.
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite

Because if people are claiming on the grounds that they need care or cannot do things for themselves it just seems odd that they feel no need to actually receive the care or get someone to do whatever they can't do but just struggle on.

Yes once the money has been handed over it is the recipient's to do with as they like but then they should not complain about how it is only a pittance and they are still not getting the care.
  • Indie_Kid
    krisskross wrote: »
    Yes once the money has been handed over it is the recipient's to do with as they like but then they should not complain about how it is only a pittance and they are still not getting the care.

To get the lower rate, you need at least one hour of care and you need it for at least 5 days a week. How many people do you know would be willing to work for £3.79 per hour? Many of us also find that we need more than an hour of help. Again, how many people do you know will be willing to work for a couple of pounds per hour?
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • karatedragon
    karatedragon Posts: 1,148 Forumite
    edited 29 July 2010 at 10:35PM
    I used my DLA funded MP3 Player today.

And I now have my DLA funded Bubble Lamp on

I also had my DLA funded cooked meal and pudding too

Just thought I would rub it in for all those dedicated tax payers out there :P You know, the ones that slag DLA claimants while sucking the system of child benefit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure