mortgage issue - need help

Options
Sorry guys - this is a little bit long, going to need a little brain power:

We currently have a mortgage with Natwest - which we took on around 11 months ago. We’ve decided to upsize our property as we have more children on the way and we feel our house is likely up to the max cap on value - so a good time to sell.

We spoke to our premier Natwest bank manager who ran figures in March and all approved on their system - (AIP). Natwest systems suggested we would pass an application.

After 6 months of having ours on the market - we have finally sold and found a property we have had an offer accepted on!

The issue begins with applying for our mortgage - or applying to port our mortgage.

I contacted a broker who had brokered two deals for us in the past. Lovely chap - trust him 100%.

We keyed in our figures with him - calculator suggested we were fine so he ran and agreement in principle. This came back declined, and as a AIP we were under the impression it was just a soft search. Broker said the only note was it was down to ‘credit score’ and we do not meet the criteria.

Being a little stressed I contacted my premier bank manager via text saying we’ve had a decline - which based on our income and credit - was a little concerned.

She told me not to worry - that she would sort out in the morning. I was still stressed so I contacted Natwest Mortgages Telephony line to probe into why it had declined. Natwest telephony said no credit report search or application had be done and that based on their system we would likely approve and they could send me an AIP there and then. (Phew) felt less stressed and the advisor took me details and booked me in with an advisor the next day.

Come the morning my premier bank manager said, cancel the appointment - her mortgage advisor could make the appointment instead. I assume she gets some sort or reward, or bonus or just recognition if she referred me, so I agreed as we have have a long standing relationship.

The appointment comes and the Mortgage advisor tells me there has been no application nor searches done on my file - so he would do a search as it was likely to be approved. With that information he gave me I was happy to proceed and I was honest with him letting him know I spoke to an external broker the day before and he said it had declined. He continued to reinsure me that no search has been done.

45 minutes later, it declines.

I decided to sign up to Experian, TransUnion and Equifax.

Safe to say fianc!e report is fine on all three.

Experian said 999/999 (but has dropped now due to these two applications)
TransUnion (top Marks again)
Equifax reported 320/650. (Dropped due to these two applications)

I read my report and I could see three issues:
- was not on the electorol
- some strange defaults on an E-on utility account, which was added during a despite
- it was still showing a large loan/car hire purchase that I had ended a month before and took out a new car.

So, it seems the report is low because I’ve taken a new line of credit (car) but also showing that I had my old car on there.

I have disputed to eon as they shouldn’t be there. Currently going through the ombudsman service - investigation to take place ASAP. I even have proof that I was going through the ombudsman service when it happened - and we won the claim.

- I have now added myself to the electorol but apparently it’s canvass season, so I won’t officially be on it till Jan 2020.

- my BMW should naturally come off my report in next 15-30 days.

I have contacted all three agencies to add a NOC (notice of correction) to my report - to say I am on the electrol but won’t be added till Jan 2020.

I’m hoping the Eon gets sorted in next 30 days.

My only issue here is with the multiple searches from Natwest. Can they remove the search as they told me I had no searches on there? I feel a little annoyed as we were 100% honest with them about the previous day and being declined but they were adamant there was no search or application.

I’m hoping with cleaning up the file, the NOC, and Natwest removing one search. - the score will meet the minimum criteria.

I also feel annoyed the broker didn’t tell me it was a hard search - but I don’t want to go around shedding blame to everyone, but equally I don’t feel like we should be hear. We only asked for a AIP to give to estate agent for proof of finance, and then Natwest persisted we did the application with them.

Also - I have checked the partners file and she has x3 hard searches from Natwest but I only have two?

Is there anything anyone can advise?

Once it’s a little cleaner, I’m going to raise our deposit a little, and clear off a couple of small loans, to make sure we’re in a much better position then when we applied.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated or ideas/where to go for help.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    The score that NatWest are referring to isn't the pretend scores you see on your files. They mean their real lending scores. The CRA ones are meaningless so ignore those.

Not being on the ER is always an issue, so ask the CRAs if you can be added manually.

The default is the other thing to get sorted, if it's not genuine.

I would remove the NoC's from your reports. They hinder, rather than help.
  • Aarfaz131
    Options
    Thanks for the note!

Yes - Natwest said it declined because of my CRA report - I’ve banked with NW for 15 years, never defaulted. Have mortgages, loans, CC, savings - as far as my score with Natwest, I am good.

Regarding the NOC - agency won’t add the electrol on report till January. They cannot add it manually - they said they buy the reports on a monthly basis and then add to the reports. As it’s canvass season - the ER is shut till December (and then 30 days to add to report) = Jan 2020.

Reading online a NOC will mean it will 100% be reviewed manually. Apart from the time to get the decision - I don’t see this as a bad thing? I have had 32 credit agreements in my life - all are perfect/settled/up to date. Never had a default. So I’m hoping if manually review this will be an advantage?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Aarfaz131 wrote: »
    Yes - Natwest said it declined because of my CRA report
    That's correct. It's because the data held on your files that you're failing Natwest's scoring. Not because you're failing a CRA score.
    Reading online a NOC will mean it will 100% be reviewed manually. Apart from the time to get the decision - I don’t see this as a bad thing? I have had 32 credit agreements in my life - all are perfect/settled/up to date. Never had a default. So I’m hoping if manually review this will be an advantage?

It means your application will be put to one side until someone is able to have a look. It's highly unlikely to change any decisions, as the verifiable facts stay the same.

Your broker should be managing these issues in your application, not getting you to add problematic NoCs.
  • Aarfaz131
    Options
    Makes sense -

The CRA should improve drastically when
    - EON correct the error
    - updates to file when car finance comes
    off
    - added to electorol
    - the only niggling thing is will Natwest remove their search - as they told me no application had been made by Natwest not a broker...

We’re at the start of the process so we have some time to clean up and resolve issues. Hopefully if score is looking good when they amendments are made - I can ask them to remove the NOC
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you want this sorted properly you would benefit but not circumventing your Broker.

You say you trust him 100% but you are complicating matters behind his back.

Speak to him and fess up tomorrow.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hopefully if score is looking good when they amendments are made - I can ask them to remove the NOC

Be aware that when the amendments are made, your score may drop.

Remember that the CRA scores measure change, rather than credit worthiness. So do NOT use that as a guide.
  • Aarfaz131
    Options
    What do you mean by fess up? What do I need to admit to him? He hasn’t done anything wrong -
    Natwest direct have pushed forward with an application giving me 100% clarity no checks have been done...
  • Aarfaz131
    Options
    So my score could drop by amending incorrect defaults to change the account to zero defaults?

Zero logic in that.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Zero logic in that.
    Absolutely.

We had a poor sap on here a while back who was looking forward to his CCJ coming off his file and his 'score' dropped by 200 points.

The poor bloke was distraught.

That's why no one ever sees or uses the scores apart from you.
  • It might be that the shaky history was the only credit history on the file. When the whole account drops off then there is nothing to assess so scores go down

Just a hypothetical example of why scores are pointless

Try a new lender btw. Plenty good lenders more flexible than natwest
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family